The Student Room Group

Graduate Diploma in Mathematics from Birkbeck to get into MSc Statistics programme?

For context, I've got a 2:1 in BSc Business Management, and A*s in A-Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics. I've also completed the first year of a BSc Mathematics degree.

I'm looking to apply to a MSc Statistics programme soon but i know I don't meet most universities' entry requirements, and even if I do, I'm still competing with people with strong grades in a relevant degree. So, I was considering the Graduate Diploma in Mathematics (four Level 6 modules totalling 120 credits) to bridge the gap somewhat.

I'm also going to develop some coding experience in Python and R, and will work in the data science industry in the meantime.

My question, considering all of this, is how likely is it that a Graduate Diploma in Mathematics will actually boost my chances of being accepted into a MSc Statistics programme from a university such as Imperial, Kings or UCL later on?

I'm afraid of getting into a situation where I do the graduate diploma but I don't get into my preferred course.

Please may someone be able to advise if they've had a similar path to the one I'm planning and if this is a good idea?

Thanks.
Reply 1
I'm in a similar situation to you. Currently doing the Statistics for Data Science Graduate Certificate at Birkbeck in order to get into a more technical MSc programme after my BSc in International Business... It actually provides you entry into the BBK Statistics MSc, and I'm sure will help for the other Unis.

I'm also resigned at the idea that I may need to do another year at BBK before qualifying for a Masters at UCL or Imperial... we'll see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending