The Student Room Group

Anyone from Finland?

I'm developing a love for Finland and I'm curious to see if there are any finns here!
Reply 1
Nope, but I lived close to Finland, in Nikkaluokta and Pajala.
Finland is an amazing country, visit it if you can, you WILL NOT regret it.
Original post by mfpx
Nope, but I lived close to Finland, in Nikkaluokta and Pajala.
Finland is an amazing country, visit it if you can, you WILL NOT regret it.

Thank you for replying! I would LOVE to go and visit. I've started a beginner course on Memrise and on another similar language app. I don't think I'll ever be fluent, but just knowing a few words in this so peculiar and beautiful language is so cool.
Reply 3
Original post by _mitigantsea
I'm developing a love for Finland and I'm curious to see if there are any finns here!

Hei :biggrin: Finland is such a beautiful country, the land of lakes.

I'm half Finnish and lived there for a year when I was little.

They have the best educational system and their aim is to produce happy, confident people. And no homework!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OvVPg3y_ug
Original post by Racoon
Hei :biggrin: Finland is such a beautiful country, the land of lakes.

I'm half Finnish and lived there for a year when I was little.

They have the best educational system and their aim is to produce happy, confident people. And no homework!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OvVPg3y_ug

Yes I knew about all these wonderful things. Living in Finland must have been great, I'm sure you have amazing memories of it.

Thank you for the link, I did hear Micheal Moore had done a documentary about finnish school and now I can finally watch it :smile:
Reply 5
I saw this question and decided to answer.
First of all, about the quality of the Finnish education. Yes, schools are very relaxed, no school on Saturdays, very little or no homework, no uniform.
But what do people get at the end? Compared to school curriculums in China or Russia, Finnish one is lagging behind massively.
The only advantage is that they teach English at a good level in Finland otherwise the level of knowledge in Finland is significantly lower.

Overall it is a safe country (at least until recently) but the lifestyle and people's mindset is kind of country-like
Original post by Uusi
I saw this question and decided to answer.
First of all, about the quality of the Finnish education. Yes, schools are very relaxed, no school on Saturdays, very little or no homework, no uniform.
But what do people get at the end? Compared to school curriculums in China or Russia, Finnish one is lagging behind massively.
The only advantage is that they teach English at a good level in Finland otherwise the level of knowledge in Finland is significantly lower.

Overall it is a safe country (at least until recently) but the lifestyle and people's mindset is kind of country-like

Well there's always a negative trait on any good thing and no country is perfect! what do you mean by "country-like" mentality? I'd love to know more about it. Thank you for replying
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi, I'm a finn!
I know I'm pretty late answering this thread, I just searched tsr to see if there were any other Finnish people here and found this.
It's true our education system's pretty good, but I'm worried about what's gonna happen to it because the current government keeps cutting the funds for education, and making absurd changes in general.
I did love not having too much homework though :tongue:
Original post by foggikid
Hi, I'm a finn!
I know I'm pretty late answering this thread, I just searched tsr to see if there were any other Finnish people here and found this.
It's true our education system's pretty good, but I'm worried about what's gonna happen to it because the current government keeps cutting the funds for education, and making absurd changes in general.
I did love not having too much homework though :tongue:

Great to see a finn here! and happy independence day :smile:
Ohh heyy ! just seen this thread and yh I'm a Finn but left when I was four and now living in London.
I hardly remember anything but my older siblings loved Finland and and always saying how bad the UK is . The same with my parents . They're kind of regretful of coming to London but it was necessary because of family here and being an ethnic minority over there wasn't nice. My parents recall how racist they were but generally the people were very nice.
Interestingly enough , I am planning to head back to Finland next year since university is free for me over there. But it's not a guarantee , but just something I'm think of doing.
I'm half-Finnish if that counts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending