The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Are you saying the judge ignored that?

I thought it was the case that it was a bread knife and he had only superficial wounds by the way and it was a casual tinder encounter, so it doesn't sound like the classic domestic abuse driven to extremes scenario, more like what it is, a case of drug abuse and nutty behaviour by someone who should know better.

I think they had met on Tinder but were an item. She attacked him whilst he was phoning her mother to "shop" her for taking drugs. Sounds like a classic domestic to me with the exception that this was not the latest in a long line of abuse.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
The laws don't apply if you're an attractive woman, it seems.

Please put forward examples of stiff sentences for plain people or men involving first offences with bread knives resulting in superficial wounds.
Reply 62
Reminds me of (sequence 1:40 to 3:30)

[video="youtube;I1yL9V70mbE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1yL9V70mbE[/video]

I had read the related articles and written my informed opinion in an old thread. Now I forgot. It's generally dangerous to comment sentences because we don't know the full story. While I agree that it's pointless to ruin the life of a respectable person for drink driving if no one is hurt, I'm not so sure this should apply to stabbing... But I'm generally relieved that the law is lenient with us. Is the boyfriend at least entitled to damages?
(edited 6 years ago)
Are you saying the judge ignored that?

I thought it was the case that it was a bread knife and he had only superficial wounds by the way and it was a casual tinder encounter, so it doesn't sound like the classic domestic abuse driven to extremes scenario, more like what it is, a case of drug abuse and nutty behaviour by someone who should know better.

You're usually much harsher on drug users especially those funding the cocaine trade. :s-smilie:
Original post by the beer
You're usually much harsher on drug users especially those funding the cocaine trade. :s-smilie:

I'm hardly a fan. I just don't like people being singled out for attack on spurious grounds. The argument here is that she got off because she went to Oxford, is good looking, female and from a well off family. I'm casting doubt on that.
Interesting article by the Secret Barrister on this subject. It seems that the judge was following sentencing guidelines.
https://thesecretbarrister.com/2017/09/26/update-an-oxford-medical-student-stabbed-her-boyfriend-with-a-bread-knife-so-why-did-she-not-go-to-prison/
I'm hardly a fan. I just don't like people being singled out for attack on spurious grounds. The argument here is that she got off because she went to Oxford, is good looking, female and from a well off family. I'm casting doubt on that.

Could have been you, huh. anyways, drug use is never an excuse, i know plenty of 'nutty' drug using women and none have ever stabbed me or anyone else.
Original post by the beer
Could have been you, huh. anyways, drug use is never an excuse, i know plenty of 'nutty' drug using women and none have ever stabbed me or anyone else.

Happy to accept that my use of 'nutty' wasn't quite useful. However, from the reported facts, I hardly think this was a classic case of drug user violence.
Happy to accept that my use of 'nutty' wasn't quite useful. However, from the reported facts, I hardly think this was a classic case of drug user violence.

Because she went to Oxford, is good looking, female and from a well off family?
Please put forward examples of stiff sentences for plain people or men involving first offences with bread knives resulting in superficial wounds.

Well overall we seem to be sending more women to prison than we were in preceding decades... but mostly for non violent offences like shoplifting

http://www.womeninprison.org.uk/research/key-facts.php
Reply 70
Exactly the kind of person I want operating on me!
Original post by Joinedup
Well overall we seem to be sending more women to prison than we were in preceding decades... but mostly for non violent offences like shoplifting

http://www.womeninprison.org.uk/research/key-facts.php

I've heard that if anything, the judicial system is penalising women unfairly compared to men, overall. This tends to bear this out. It's also generally the case that women are routinely set up for crimes by men and taken advantage of in that way.

I thought it was the case that it was a bread knife and he had only superficial wounds

Bread knives are not necessarily the blunt, thick, useless items most student kitchens are equipped with. If I stabbed you in the leg with my bread knife you would stand a good chance of dying of blood loss or losing a lot of flesh. It is very sharp, and has a nasty point.

One would hope that a manic, addicted person like this would be weeded out from the medical profession in short order now that the criminal case id over. I certainly wouldn't want her responsible for my or my children's health.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gcse0
The law is present to protect people but it has failed to do in this case by letting her walk free.
If the same was done by a man, he would have definitely gone to prison!

Original post by chillindiekid
a thought; if it were a black man and not a white girl, would they have been let off?

And people still try and say "don't just shout racism and sexism like that"

Interesting...

I hope she never steps foot into a hospital other than to apologise to the person she stabbed!
Original post by Ed5
Choosing who is and who isn't exempt from the law is dangerous and unethical imo, anything irrelevant to the case shouldn't factor into the judgement.

However, I did some reading and it turns out she is/was suffering from a drug addiction. She also hugely regretted it. These could justify being let off the hook, but her talents shouldn't.

Plenty of smackheads suffering from much worse addictions, who grew up in awful circumstances force jagged as kids, if they stab someone they get sentenced for years no sympathy at all. They just look at them and think crime + backround = time

But judge maybe just looked at her and thought oh shes not from a bad circumstance therefore she can break the law, crime + oxbridge = freedom

it's ok after all laws aren't there to apply to oxford students

If a normal working class man did as she did, then hed get years for sure,

also if a boy did it to a girl
(edited 6 years ago)
she should be jailed, severely fined, expelled from Oxford and banned from the medical profession.
Original post by Ed5
Choosing who is and who isn't exempt from the law is dangerous and unethical imo, anything irrelevant to the case shouldn't factor into the judgement.

However, I did some reading and it turns out she is/was suffering from a drug addiction. She also hugely regretted it. These could justify being let off the hook, but her talents shouldn't.

couldn't have agreed with you anymore.
Reply 77
Original post by chillindiekid
a thought; if it were a black man and not a white girl, would they have been let off?

Or if it was a muslim?
Maybe she was just trying to practise her surgery...
Deserves to be behind bars in my honest opinion, pretty disgusting.

Latest

Trending

Trending