The Student Room Group

Medicine/Natural Sciences at Cambridge

Hi,

I would like to do a course in medicine or natural sciences at Cambridge in the future and I want to boost my chance of getting in, and so...I have a few questions which I hope you guys will be able to help me with.^___^

1)What A levels would you recommend to take?

2)Is the following a good combination for A levels?
Biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics(only up to AS), and a language(something like german or chinese).

3)My school requires everyone to do an AS level in critical thinking or general studies. Which one is a better one to do? And in addition, is critical thinking suitable for someone (who enjoys english the least) to take?

4)How much work experience is one advised to have?

5)How intensive is the medicine course? Is it the hardest course out there?

Thanks!^___^
Reply 1
Critical Thinking will help you with your UKCAT/BMAT. Medicine is a very intensive course. And I'd recommend Chem, Bio, Physics, and Maths or a good Humanity like History.
Reply 2
The Toffy
Critical Thinking will help you with your UKCAT/BMAT. Medicine is a very intensive course. And I'd recommend Chem, Bio, Physics, and Maths or a good Humanity like History.

Erm, you're 16! Ever studied Medicine at Cambridge? There are plenty of medics on these forums who could answer about how difficult the course is from experience, rather than pure conjecture, which would probably be much more helpful to the OP.

Anyway, OP, Maths is a big part of the Nat Sci course, its the one place most of my Nat Sci friends seem to have trouble. You might want to think about taking Maths and Further Maths, along with Chem, Bio and Physics. You could branch out into humanities if you want, but it wouldn't help your application really (or help you if you get here).
Reply 3
Do double maths if you can (and you think you'll be able to of course). Sciences and double maths could make a potent set of A levels.
Reply 4
If you're looking to take BioNatSci/Medicine, those A levels would be fine, A level Further Maths is not a necessity. If you fancied the Physical side of NatSci then Further maths would be recommended.
Reply 5
Firstly, if you want to do Medicine, you really need to think hard about it. You need to focus on getting into Medicine, not Cambridge specifically, because it's hard. As well as good grades in GCSEs and A-Levels and a good BMAT/UKCAT performance, you need to have work experience, voluntary work and generally be able to show why you want to be a doctor and why you'd be good at it. So first of all I'd recommend you get some work experience, do some reading and decide if you want to do Medicine or NatSci, rather than how best to get into Cambridge.

Now, with regard to your questions:
1)What A levels would you recommend to take? For Medicine at Cambridge, Chemistry is essential, and it's compulsory for lots of other places too. I'd also recommend Biology if you want to do Medicine anywhere, and maybe one more science (there are a few colleges at Cambridge requiring 3 sciences still but all other unis now only require 2). Other medical schools e.g. UCL like you to have a humanity/arts subject though. If you want to do NatSci, again you'll need Chemistry, plus whichever sciences you're more interested in. I'd recommend doing at least one Maths; two if you want to do physical NatSci. There is, however, no need for Further Maths if you end up going for Medicine.

Biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics(only up to AS), and a language(something like german or chinese).
Yes, if you think you can cope with (by which I mean get high As in) all 5. Otherwise ditch one of the sciences, unless you want to go for NatSci, in which case ditch the language and do more Maths.

3)My school requires everyone to do an AS level in critical thinking or general studies. Which one is a better one to do? And in addition, is critical thinking suitable for someone (who enjoys english the least) to take? I doubt Cambridge give a monkeys, to be honest. I took neither. If pushed, I'd go for CT as everyone seems to think GS is a doss.

4)How much work experience is one advised to have? See the Medics forum for more information on this. It's as much about quality as quantity. But Cambridge care less about this than most other places, from what I've seen. As for NatSci, I have no idea.

5)How intensive is the medicine course? Is it the hardest course out there? It's the hardest Cambridge course I've ever taken. :p: Seriously though, it IS hard work, especially 2nd year (generally - or at least among my friends who I've terrorised - acknowledged to be the hardest year of any Cambridge degree), but it's tolerable. And I wouldn't say it's MUCH more than most other subjects, just different.
Helenia
Firstly, if you want to do Medicine, you really need to think hard about it. You need to focus on getting into Medicine, not Cambridge specifically, because it's hard. As well as good grades in GCSEs and A-Levels and a good BMAT/UKCAT performance, you need to have work experience, voluntary work and generally be able to show why you want to be a doctor and why you'd be good at it. So first of all I'd recommend you get some work experience, do some reading and decide if you want to do Medicine or NatSci, rather than how best to get into Cambridge.

1)What A levels would you recommend to take? For Medicine at Cambridge, Chemistry is essential, and it's compulsory for lots of other places too. I'd also recommend Biology if you want to do Medicine anywhere, and maybe one more science (there are a few colleges at Cambridge requiring 3 sciences still but all other unis now only require 2). Other medical schools e.g. UCL like you to have a humanity/arts subject though. If you want to do NatSci, again you'll need Chemistry, plus whichever sciences you're more interested in. I'd recommend doing at least one Maths; two if you want to do physical NatSci. There is, however, no need for Further Maths if you end up going for Medicine.

Yes, if you think you can cope with (by which I mean get high As in) all 5. Otherwise ditch one of the sciences, unless you want to go for NatSci, in which case ditch the language and do more Maths.

3)My school requires everyone to do an AS level in critical thinking or general studies. Which one is a better one to do? And in addition, is critical thinking suitable for someone (who enjoys english the least) to take? I doubt Cambridge give a monkeys, to be honest. I took neither. If pushed, I'd go for CT as everyone seems to think GS is a doss.

4)How much work experience is one advised to have? See the Medics forum for more information on this. It's as much about quality as quantity. But Cambridge care less about this than most other places, from what I've seen. As for NatSci, I have no idea.

5)How intensive is the medicine course? Is it the hardest course out there? It's the hardest Cambridge course I've ever taken. :p: Seriously though, it IS hard work, especially 2nd year (generally - or at least among my friends who I've terrorised - acknowledged to be the hardest year of any Cambridge degree), but it's tolerable. And I wouldn't say it's MUCH more than most other subjects, just different.

Off topic but so is CT, basically you do no work for a year at AS and then take an IQ test at the end. At A2 you need a cursory knowledge of some philosophy, a little essay writing ability and to know how to write to a mark scheme. No work involved at any point.
Reply 7
only nihilism
Off topic but so is CT, basically you do no work for a year at AS and then take an IQ test at the end. At A2 you need a cursory knowledge of some philosophy, a little essay writing ability and to know how to write to a mark scheme. No work involved at any point.

Maybe fewer people have realised this yet... I have no idea really, but I know that almost nobody worth talking about cares about General Studies.
Helenia
Maybe fewer people have realised this yet... I have no idea really, but I know that almost nobody worth talking about cares about General Studies.

Actually a friend of a friend is part of admissions for Manchester I think, and their opinion was that gs was the best overall indicator of intelligence. I think they're an idiot and it's a one off but to me it's an example of the arbitrariness of the application system, and also never ever to give anyone anything that looks like a sign of weakness cos that exam which "didn't matter" and you tossed off you could be judged on.
Reply 9
only nihilism
Actually a friend of a friend is part of admissions for Manchester I think, and their opinion was that gs was the best overall indicator of intelligence. I think they're an idiot and it's a one off but to me it's an example of the arbitrariness of the application system, and also never ever to give anyone anything that looks like a sign of weakness cos that exam which "didn't matter" and you tossed off you could be judged on.

Oh yes - if you're going to do them, I'd say do them well. But I'd also say it would make very little difference if you didn't do them at all.
Reply 10
Helenia

No work experience required. It may be an advantage, as it shows enthusiasm for your subject, but I don't know any NatScis that did any, other than people who purposely took gap years, and even then it's not common.
Reply 11
Helenia

Cambridge say two. They mean three (maths is included as a science). I spent a long time researching this when I applied, emailing all the colleges individually, and basically the answer was 'Theoretically you can get in with two sciences, but it rarely happens'.
Yes, I am aware that lots of people with 2 science A levels will now post to prove me wrong, but that's what I was told! :smile:
Beware that if you do lots of A levels they might give you an offer based on all of them (i.e. 4As, 5As), or on specific ones - so don't do anything you don't think you can get an A in!
I did biology, chemistry, physics and English, and my offer was specifically for 3As in the sciences.
Reply 12
darzona
Cambridge say two. They mean three (maths is included as a science). I spent a long time researching this when I applied, emailing all the colleges individually, and basically the answer was 'Theoretically you can get in with two sciences, but it rarely happens'.
Yes, I am aware that lots of people with 2 science A levels will now post to prove me wrong, but that's what I was told! :smile:
Beware that if you do lots of A levels they might give you an offer based on all of them (i.e. 4As, 5As), or on specific ones - so don't do anything you don't think you can get an A in!
I did biology, chemistry, physics and English, and my offer was specifically for 3As in the sciences.

Yep, I agree. My offer was based on my 3 sciences (Biology, Chemistry and Maths) and ignored my German. I thought they had got more lenient since 2001, but 3 sciences is never going to hurt, I guess.
Reply 13
Thank you for everyone's help and advise! :smile:

And just to clarify, so does it mean that Cambridge will only be intrested in your science/math A levels?

I have no idea what critical thinking and general studies are going to be like and let's say..if the worst comes and one gets a C, does it really matter (I seriously don't want to do either of them.@____@).

Thanks for the help again everone. \\^__^//

Latest

Trending

Trending