The Student Room Group

Shocking car bomb assassination of journalist in Malta

A Maltese journalist who was centrally involved in releasing the Panama Papers disclosures of tax evasion, corruption and asset flight, has been assassinated in a car bomb explosion in Malta.

This journalist had most recently been involved in exposing the Maltese Prime Minister and his family in corrupt activities.

The fact that the murder of a journalist by car bomb would occur in a modern European democracy is shocking and perhaps a sinister signpost to a more dangerous and corrupt future for that country.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/16/malta-car-bomb-kills-panama-papers-journalist#img-1
Reply 1
When I first saw the headline, I thought it was a bomb that killed other people, and that she was one of the victims. But upon reading the story, with the bomb be placed on her car and apparently, a contained blast, that definitely show she was the intended victim, and given the specificity and the apparently containment of the explosion, augurs in favor of a professional hit. Truly horrible and I hope the ones responsible are successfully prosecuted.

Original post by AlexanderHam
A Maltese journalist who was centrally involved in releasing the Panama Papers disclosures of tax evasion, corruption and asset flight, has been assassinated in a car bomb explosion in Malta.

This journalist had most recently been involved in exposing the Maltese Prime Minister and his family in corrupt activities.

The fact that the murder of a journalist by car bomb would occur in a modern European democracy is shocking and perhaps a sinister signpost to a more dangerous and corrupt future for that country.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/16/malta-car-bomb-kills-panama-papers-journalist#img-1
Original post by luq_ali
When I first saw the headline, I thought it was a bomb that killed other people, and that she was one of the victims. But upon reading the story, with the bomb be placed on her car and apparently, a contained blast, that definitely show she was the intended victim, and given the specificity and the apparently containment of the explosion, augurs in favor of a professional hit. Truly horrible and I hope the ones responsible are successfully prosecuted.

Most certainly, that's what makes it terrifying I think. And her car was out in the middle of some field, which causes me to think that someone claiming to be a source met her out in the field, and then left a bag in the car when they got out.

Malta is only a few tens of miles off the southern coast of Sicily and the Sicilian mafia is believed to have infiltrated its political system, bribed its politicians and generally turned it into a safe haven of sorts. It's quite sad given that this is the island that was awarded the George Cross for its bravery during World War 2, subjected to mass Italian and German bombings due to the Royal Navy base that supported convoys to the troops in North Africa. In fact, my grandfather, a Royal Navy officer, was stationed in Malta in the mid-50s
(edited 6 years ago)

Yeah the Maltese government deny any wrongdoing, and have even called in the FBI, but something definitely seems fishy.
Reply 4
The fight against Public corruption will be a defining battle of the 21st Century. I am ignorant of the issues in Malta, however, perhaps now, her assassination(because of the greater awareness of her struggle coming about in the attempts to silence her) presents me and many others with an opportunity to study more about the situation there.

Most certainly, that's what makes it terrifying I think. And her car was out in the middle of some field, which causes me to think that someone claiming to be a source met her out in the field, and then left a bag in the car when they got out.

Malta is only a few tens of miles off the southern coast of Sicily and the Sicilian mafia is believed to have infiltrated its political system, bribed its politicians and generally turned it into a safe haven of sorts. It's quite sad given that this is the island that was awarded the George Cross for its bravery during World War 2, subjected to mass Italian and German bombings due to the Royal Navy base that supported convoys to the troops in North Africa. In fact, my grandfather, a Royal Navy officer, was stationed in Malta in the mid-50s
Reply 5
Did your Grandfather perhaps publish a memoir or give some written account of his work in Malta? I would be most interested to learn more about his perspectives and distinguished services.

Original post by luq_ali
Did your Grandfather perhaps publish a memoir or give some written account of his work in Malta? I would be most interested to learn more about his perspectives and distinguished services.

There was a book written about his side of the family, it's not entirely about him but it's quite interesting (it also shows some pictures he took of Royal Navy warships, including a picture he took in 1946 when he was a very young Navy officer just recently graduated from the naval academy).

Go to this link below, and scroll back up to page 73, headed "The Submariner"

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=I-7-V1TJ1jIC&pg=PA76&lpg=PA76&dq=T+class+submarine+cornish+family+harvey&source=bl&ots=dRg6OLcC_L&sig=3_kz9DwGA7h3ZWUJpzywDwZWHIc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAp6OexILXAhUHL1AKHRPrAdAQ6AEIOzAF#v=onepage&q=T%20class%20submarine%20cornish%20family%20harvey&f=false

Hope you enjoy, I'm very pleased by your interest :smile: The section discussing the reconaissance mission they did on the Soviet fleet at Murmansk is fascinating
Reply 7
Thank you for sending me this info, which I'm reading now:smile:, and it is my pleasure to read about your Grandfather and the other heroes of that time period. A lot of times, in the modern wars and conflicts, while commending the people who serve with distinction, we might not always agree with the wars, conflicts, policies or how the military is used. But this time frame, it was a battle from invading forces, a defensive (though the best offense is a good defense!:smile:) campaign for the survival of the UK(and the world) from Nazism, Fascism, etc.. (My Dad served in the Armed Forces in the U.S. and retired, so I grew up in a military family). I definitely always enjoy reading history, particularly military history, first hand accounts, and reconstruction.(I know that is not the proper term, but what I'm referring to are those scholars who reconstruct miniature models of battlefields on land and sea, discuss strategies that worked and failed, etc. The book, The Art of War-though of course technically about "combat"-yet, of course it is widely read in business schools, and many other centers and sectors of learning (as you know, in things as diverse as sales, marketing, and just has good principles on life, etc.), and it has been helpful to me in life, just from some of the principles in the book. I want to see this film, Letters From Iwo Jima, for example, its been out a good while, just need to get around to seeing it, but its very interesting in that it gives details from a different perspective. (I am not as familiar with some of the documentaries of The BBC, but very much enjoy watching the ones I've seen in the U.S from The History Channel. about WWI and WWII, highlighting battles, the struggles and accomplishments of the resistance, little known facts, etc.)

I am particularly interested in learning more about the UK, the day to day living during WWI and specifically, WWII, such as what I'm reading now thanks to the link you gave me, about children, having to go to bombing shelters...its a pretty intense period of time to read and study about, and of great interest to me to learn more about how the people of the UK survived and made it through some horrific struggles bombings, etc.

There was a book written about his side of the family, it's not entirely about him but it's quite interesting (it also shows some pictures he took of Royal Navy warships, including a picture he took in 1946 when he was a very young Navy officer just recently graduated from the naval academy).

Go to this link below, and scroll back up to page 73, headed "The Submariner"

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=I-7-V1TJ1jIC&pg=PA76&lpg=PA76&dq=T+class+submarine+cornish+family+harvey&source=bl&ots=dRg6OLcC_L&sig=3_kz9DwGA7h3ZWUJpzywDwZWHIc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAp6OexILXAhUHL1AKHRPrAdAQ6AEIOzAF#v=onepage&q=T%20class%20submarine%20cornish%20family%20harvey&f=false

Hope you enjoy, I'm very pleased by your interest :smile: The section discussing the reconaissance mission they did on the Soviet fleet at Murmansk is fascinating
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending