The Student Room Group

Speed Distance Time for Dummies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I have read the thread but it only seem to have 4 or 5 questions which are related to fuel at the start i was wondering if there was anymore elsewhere people might know of? I dont want to be spoon fed the infomation i do want to learn it for myself. Just want to see how to approach the fuel questions thats all.
Reply 381
You travel an average speed of 280kts. How much fuel do you need for a 70 mile trip, if you burn 140kgs per hour?

Travelling at 280 kts it would take 15 min to travel 70 miles

70/280 = 4
140/4 = 35
35kg

Is that a correct method?
Reply 382
Yes
Reply 383
Thats good then lol. It is sort of 2 DST questions in 1 question if you get me??? lol. First you do the how fast your travelling to do the distance, then from there you can take that figure and work out the fuel? if that makes sense? ha.
Reply 384
do you get a pencil and paper for the DST tests?
Reply 385
as you go through aptitude, because its a long process the computer tells you to go for a break, and in the room where you wait is a monitor counting down your 5 minute break. when you return to your station, you'll find that pencil/paper/whatever other sheets you need will be removed or placed there for the next section of testing.
Reply 386
Right but focusing on speed distance time section of the tests do you have a pencil for them or do you have to do them in your head?
Reply 387
When you start you have nothing, you take a break, come back and paper and a pencil will be there for SDT, then you take a break after the SDT section it will be taken away.
Reply 388
thats good then, i was told that during the SDT section ou cant use pencil and paper! can you put the link up to the planning exs thanks
Reply 389
Ok this should work - it's a quick upload and has 10 downloads available guys.

http://rapidshare.com/files/265538593/Planning_Exercises__from_www.dump.ro_.zip.html
Reply 390
Thanks owen
Reply 391
At 96 mph, how long does it take to travel 56 miles?

How do i do this?
mudmover
At 96 mph, how long does it take to travel 56 miles?

How do i do this?

Same way that you do every single one of these questions

Distance = Speed x Time
Speed = Distance/ Time
Time = Distance/ Speed

The question asks 'how long does it take' ie it wants a time, you know from the SDT triangle that Time = Distance/Speed so you divide 56/96.

Working out 56/96 is simply a matter of practice and learning to recognise the numbers and short cuts.
Reply 393
I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who thinks this, but this thread has become tiresomely repetitive.

It has grown to nearly 8 pages, and is rammed full of potential methods, practise questions and advice as how best to approach SDT.

Besides that, the fact remains that after learning the basics, it really is down to each candidate to find out how they best apply the methods they find easiest, as an individual. Not doing it in a way others tell them to.

Practise. That's all SDT preparation requires. Lots of it. Not being fed methods and answers on an almost daily basis.

I vote that we lock this thread, before its original purpose loses all dignity?
Reply 394
Sam-J-Jewell

Practise. That's all SDT preparation requires. Lots of it. Not being fed methods and answers on an almost daily basis.

Sam-J-Jewell, I completely agree! Everyone has their own methods, just sit down and work it out, even if it takes you the best part of a day. All the advice is on this thread now, any questions you need are on the website.
Reply 395
You answered 10 out of 10 questions correctly in a time of 1 minutes 4 seconds.

On average, you answered each question in 6.4 seconds

getting much better after a lot of practice lol. :smile:
Reply 396
mudmover
You travel an average speed of 280kts. How much fuel do you need for a 70 mile trip, if you burn 140kgs per hour?

Travelling at 280 kts it would take 15 min to travel 70 miles

70/280 = 4
140/4 = 35
35kg

Is that a correct method?

:rolleyes:
Okay.

Thanks Q_M for posting the Dummies guide, it has really helped. I've pretty much nailed the methods now.
Reply 398
TyphoonFighter
Okay.

Thanks Q_M for posting the Dummies guide, it has really helped. I've pretty much nailed the methods now.

Sokay mate I'm glad its helping people. :smile:

Q_M
Q_M
Sokay mate I'm glad its helping people. :smile:

Q_M

I'm pretty sure earlier on in the thread you and Theo were talking about the answers for the info you put up...

Do we get to see them? :P

Still getting better...guess my general arithmetic was pretty rubbish...and I was doing AS maths for godness sake! :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest