The Student Room Group

Speed Distance Time for Dummies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
how would you work out distance quickly if time was 7hrs 46mins, and speed was 16mph? would it be easiest to call it 124 miles, or 125 miles? similarly how would you do this: 7hrs 38mins and 19mph? how do you work it out easily without getting massive numbers, when the minutes are not simple fractions of an hour?
and how would you work out a question where both numbers are prime, and there is no common factor other than 1? e.g. how long would it take to travel 43miles travelling at 97mph?
echo34
how would you work out distance quickly if time was 7hrs 46mins, and speed was 16mph? would it be easiest to call it 124 miles, or 125 miles? similarly how would you do this: 7hrs 38mins and 19mph? how do you work it out easily without getting massive numbers, when the minutes are not simple fractions of an hour?
and how would you work out a question where both numbers are prime, and there is no common factor other than 1? e.g. how long would it take to travel 43miles travelling at 97mph?

You won't get numbers like these. Every sum will work out in whole numbers or whole minutes.
Reply 42
how many parts are there to the mathematics test?

:askpig: << couldnt resist
Reply 43
Archi 08
how many parts are there to the mathematics test?

:askpig: << couldnt resist

Two I think. Mat-A and Mat-B.

I think.
know this has been asked already, but would appreciate if anyone who has actually been to OASC can tell me if you're allowed to use pen & paper during the aptitude tests?
Reply 45
Depends on which part of the test. Easier questions you will no be given pen or paper but for the harder stuff you will. I think it's one section that you do get the pen and paper. Blimy I should remember this I only did it 3 weeks ago.
haha, thank you anyway. easy...hard, would still apprectiate pen & paper for both! not very good for a start, let alone without pen!
Reply 47
Yea I actually asked for a pen and paper during the bit whouth ahah.

"I can't give you any sorry love"....."oh dear"
Reply 48
yea i was there only last week and there is arithmetic throughout most but there is a certain section which is just like what you have practised which is with pen and paper then its back to the old brain
Reply 49
Great article really helps thanks
Reply 50
Gwallio
Great article really helps thanks

Cheers man. :smile:
What speed covers 44 miles in 16 mins???
Is there a prize?
threeportdrift
Is there a prize?

my gratitude ha ha
165mph?

44 and 16 both divide by 4

So will do 11 miles in 4 mins

there are 15 lots of 4 in 60

So 11 X 15 = 165
i cracked it now now, so easy really!
itsallhappeningagain
165mph?

uhuh 60/16 = 3.75,

3.75*44 = 165 mph

it helps for me to type it
Except you did that with a calculator and you have to be able to do it in your head at OASC (for most tests) so you need to find a simple method you can do in your head.

Q - what do I do to 16 to make it 60? A - divide it by 4 (to get 4) then multiply it by 15 (to get 60)

So, divide 44 by 4 (and get 11) then multiply it by 15 (or more likely in your head, multiply 15 by 10 = 150 then add another 15)

=165mph.
agreed
At 425 mph, how long does it take to travel 170 miles?

Quick Reply

Latest