The Student Room Group

A-Level Subjects for Architecture/Film&TV

Hey, next year I'll be enrolling in a school that offers an A Level program. I am aiming to take either an Architecture course or a Film&TV course in the university. I haven't decided on it yet, since both have me interested in so many ways.

I was wondering what subjects should I take that has a connection (of requirements in both course)?
Original post by saski.fad
Hey, next year I'll be enrolling in a school that offers an A Level program. I am aiming to take either an Architecture course or a Film&TV course in the university. I haven't decided on it yet, since both have me interested in so many ways.

I was wondering what subjects should I take that has a connection (of requirements in both course)?

some sort of art and design course and possibly maths would cover you for architecture, you wouldnt need specific subjects for film and tv.
Original post by saski.fad

Hey saski.fad,

It's great that you are looking into what A-levels to do of the degree course you would like to do. I would recommend choosing subjects that you enjoy which will also help you build a showreel/portfolio. When you apply for those courses at degree level you will be asked to show either a portfolio or showreel. How about taking an art and design A-Level like Claireestelle has said. I would also recommend picking a course where you will be able to get hands on experience using a camera for filming. Having some sort of skillset for story telling will also be really helpful when applying to degrees.

At Ravensbourne we offer showreel and portfolio workshops for free if you would like to attend to get a better idea of what needs to be included and how to prepare for your interview. We also offer summer workshops/school where you will get to work with other students from different schools on projects. This could prove to be beneficial when deciding what pathway you might want to go into. I did a summer school here while I was in sixth form and it really helped me figure out what I wanted to do while giving me experience with using a TV studio and different equipments. I also got to se what it would be like to be a student at Ravensbourne before actually committing to it.

I would also recommend doing a foundation year if you still aren't sure after your A-levels or want more time to build up your portfolio/showreel. I did a foundation year at Ravensbourne before I started my BA and it was amazing because I got to try and experiment with different things and disciplines before I had to choose a pathway. Doing it in a university setting also helped me network with BA and PG students to wider my skill set with their help. It also helped me become independent and gave me time to get used to equipment that I would be using in the future and during my BA.

We do offer BA Architecture, BA Digital Film Production, BA Digital Television Production courses if you would like to find out more information about the courses.

I would recommend coming to one of our open days to meet the tutors and students to talk about the course. You will also be able to look at what the students are working on and get help with showreel/portfolio. We are located in North Greenwich, London if you are able to come.

I hope this has helped and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Row:h:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest