The Student Room Group

Help at choosing foundation year or not

So I know this is last minute but I wanted to ask if I need to do a foundation year at uni or not. My subjects are architecture, film studies (a levels) and applied law (BTEC) so I just wanted to ask if I should pick to do foundation year or not ?
Reply 1
What degree subject are you applying for?
Do you meet the entry requirements for your chosen Unis?
Why do you think you 'need' a Foundation year?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
What degree subject are you applying for?
Do you meet the entry requirements for your chosen Unis?
Why do you think you 'need' a Foundation year?

Good question thanks for the reply.I want to do architecture ba honours but I have disappointing predicted grades (BD and a merit) so I don't think I would meet those entry requirements but meeting the entry requirements for foundation year sounds more realistic.
Reply 3
Dont apply this year. Work your socks off for the best grades you can get and retake if necessary.
Then apply.

The sort of Unis offering Foundation years for Arch will not be RIBA accredited, and therefore its a total waste of your time.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Dont apply this year. Work your socks off for the best grades you can get and retake if necessary.
Then apply.

The sort of Unis offering Foundation years for Arch will not be RIBA accredited, and therefore its a total waste of your time.

If the only reason I shouldn't apply is because it isn't riba credited then I would agree but for one of the unis I'm applying to (Westminster) is validated by riba so I should just apply for the foundation year right?
Original post by Dailydaisy
So I know this is last minute but I wanted to ask if I need to do a foundation year at uni or not. My subjects are architecture, film studies (a levels) and applied law (BTEC) so I just wanted to ask if I should pick to do foundation year or not ?

Hi @Dailydaisy,

This really depends on what your predicted grades are and the requirements of the uni. If you do not meet the grades then either, if you are really keen to go to uni as soon as possible, then you can do the foundation year and have another year at uni! Or, you can choose to wait to get your actual grades and make a plan from there.

I know this isn't particularly helpful as it doesn't give an answer but I think the main thing to consider would be do you want to go to uni right away or are you happy to wait until your results and then work out your options from there :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie
Reply 6
Original post by UniofLaw Student

Hi @Dailydaisy,

This really depends on what your predicted grades are and the requirements of the uni. If you do not meet the grades then either, if you are really keen to go to uni as soon as possible, then you can do the foundation year and have another year at uni! Or, you can choose to wait to get your actual grades and make a plan from there.

I know this isn't particularly helpful as it doesn't give an answer but I think the main thing to consider would be do you want to go to uni right away or are you happy to wait until your results and then work out your options from there :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie

Thanks still helpful I appreciate it I've decided to pursue a foundation year.
Thanks still helpful I appreciate it I've decided to pursue a foundation year.

Congratulations on making the decision and good luck 🙂

Sophie
If the only reason I shouldn't apply is because it isn't riba credited then I would agree but for one of the unis I'm applying to (Westminster) is validated by riba so I should just apply for the foundation year right?
Hey,
I’ve also applied for a foundation year in architecture for uni of Westminster.
Have you taken into account how this will impact your funding for MArch RIBA part 2 studies?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending