The Student Room Group

Where to study film degrees that don’t require portfolios?

i’m looking to study film at uni however i don’t currently have a portfolio and don’t really have the time to create one by january.
Does anyone know about any good courses that don’t require portfolios but could still give me the practical skills and theory skills?
No practical film degree that will give you an advantage in getting into the film industry will admit you without a portfolio/showreel.

Do what you can to build up a portfolio/showreel. Apply in January and ask for extensions for submitting your portfolio.

Apply for foundation courses and plan in a gap year to take a foundation and build your portfolio if you don’t get any offers you like.

If you want to work in the film industry then you need to start making films, writing scripts and story boarding. You’re not expected to have amazing quality films but you need to demonstrate that you have ideas and can turn them into films and that you have an eye for filming. Film schools are looking for potential in applicants and you demonstrate that potential by getting stuck in and making films.
Reply 2
Actually that’s not true i have found a couple unis that are on the cilect group that don’t say they require a portfolio of work.
maybe they do but as far as i can see they dont
Original post by PQ
No practical film degree that will give you an advantage in getting into the film industry will admit you without a portfolio/showreel.

That’s totally untrue. Many CILECT courses don’t require a portfolio.
Original post by lucyythom
i’m looking to study film at uni however i don’t currently have a portfolio and don’t really have the time to create one by january.
Does anyone know about any good courses that don’t require portfolios but could still give me the practical skills and theory skills?

Not all courses require a portfolio.
Our BA (Hons) Film Production course prepares you for careers in the film and TV industries. If you are passionate about film and want to work in film or produce high-end TV, direct short films and documentaries or are you interested in becoming a cinematographer or editor this course is for you.
Our typical offer is 112-120 UCAS points from a minimum of two A Levels or equivalent (e.g. 1 x AVCE double award) same with our BA (Hons) Film and Media course which allows you to study both in tandem.

I'm about to do a film and TV production degree at York and it doesn't require a portfolio and has awesome links plus a screen skills accreditation!! You're right not to listen to user 'PQ', I seem to recall them also saying the same to me and a few others last years when we were applying to courses - as long as you have passion and a love for the subject and industry, you will be fine at whatever university you go to!

To help you out a bit I applied and got offers from York, Southampton Solent, Hertfordshire, Royal Holloway and Lincoln - none of these Uni's needed a portfolio and they all have successful alumni graduating from their production courses. I put York as my firm and Lincoln as my insurance

(If you look at Solent you want to apply for their TV production course, not their film course, as it is accredited)

I hope this helps!!

It takes literally a couple of hours to create a showreel. Just shove some of the work you created during your A - Level/further study in your editing programme and make sure the showreel confirms to the universities showreel guidelines.

If you can’t be bothered you create a showreel to gain entry into a Film degree course then you shouldn’t be applying in the first place...
Reply 7
Original post by UniversityOfSunderland
Not all courses require a portfolio.
Our BA (Hons) Film Production course prepares you for careers in the film and TV industries. If you are passionate about film and want to work in film or produce high-end TV, direct short films and documentaries or are you interested in becoming a cinematographer or editor this course is for you.
Our typical offer is 112-120 UCAS points from a minimum of two A Levels or equivalent (e.g. 1 x AVCE double award) same with our BA (Hons) Film and Media course which allows you to study both in tandem.

Does the BA (Hons) Film Production course need a portfolio?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending