The Student Room Group

Missing schoolwork due to glandular fever?

Half term has come and gone and for the last few days (Thursday onwards) I've felt so tired, achey, feverish and had have a very sore throat. Today I woke up in a literal pool of my own sweat so went to book an emergency appointment with the GP whom first thought I had a very severe case of tonsillitis - I've never had it before and for some reason they seemed very shocked that I hadn't? They then asked for all my symptoms and when I said I had very intense abdominal period like cramps (but no period, obviously) she suspected that I had glandular fever and is now almost certain that I do. I have to go get bloods taken, but I've felt so awful all day, slept for 18 hours (literally was only awake to go to the doctors,) can't swallow and my neck is killing me. What I'm most concerned with is that the doctor said that I shouldn't go back to school this week and being me, I've researched GF and some people say they've missed months of school because of it!! I'm in Year 12 but I don't want to get behind already, I want to study Law and I'm afraid I'm already disadvantaging myself. I don't really know what I'm asking here, just needed to vent and to see if anyone else had gone through something similar?
Original post by mxgxn
Half term has come and gone and for the last few days (Thursday onwards) I've felt so tired, achey, feverish and had have a very sore throat. Today I woke up in a literal pool of my own sweat so went to book an emergency appointment with the GP whom first thought I had a very severe case of tonsillitis - I've never had it before and for some reason they seemed very shocked that I hadn't? They then asked for all my symptoms and when I said I had very intense abdominal period like cramps (but no period, obviously) she suspected that I had glandular fever and is now almost certain that I do. I have to go get bloods taken, but I've felt so awful all day, slept for 18 hours (literally was only awake to go to the doctors,) can't swallow and my neck is killing me. What I'm most concerned with is that the doctor said that I shouldn't go back to school this week and being me, I've researched GF and some people say they've missed months of school because of it!! I'm in Year 12 but I don't want to get behind already, I want to study Law and I'm afraid I'm already disadvantaging myself. I don't really know what I'm asking here, just needed to vent and to see if anyone else had gone through something similar?

It can be very problematic.

You just have to be patient and get well. Depending how long it takes, then you have the holidays to catch up or it may not be possible. If its not then you may end up repeating a year. Keep checking and talking to your teachers.

You should also have in place a plan how you can work from home till you return to school.

For the moment just do what the doctor says to get well.
@999tigger well done on the good work around forums..seen u on quite alot quite often helping others around :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
It can be very problematic.

You just have to be patient and get well. Depending how long it takes, then you have the holidays to catch up or it may not be possible. If its not then you may end up repeating a year. Keep checking and talking to your teachers.

You should also have in place a plan how you can work from home till you return to school.

For the moment just do what the doctor says to get well.

Seconded. I have had it, and doing too much too soon can put you back months. I ended up signed off work for a year and it was awful. By all means do what you can, but don't push yourself too hard and focus mostly on getting better and getting fit, because it can be a *******.
Original post by sulaimanali
@999tigger well done on the good work around forums..seen u on quite alot quite often helping others around :smile:

Thanks. I just focus on the unanswered ones mostly. Bit like doing a crossword.
Original post by gjd800
Seconded. I have had it, and doing too much too soon can put you back months. I ended up signed off work for a year and it was awful. By all means do what you can, but don't push yourself too hard and focus mostly on getting better and getting fit, because it can be a *******.

From the people ive seen, then its a big thing and not wanting to be too grim, then it can take you out for a year or you can get over it much sooner.

I would just be planning either way. Theres not a lot you can do about how serious it might be other than follow medical advice, but if a person plans for all three outcomes i.e short term illness, medium one you can catch up from in the holidays and a long term resit year one, then you have everything covered.

Not something to beat yourself up about as these things happen, but you just deal with it. If it takes a year then so be it, worrying wont make it go any faster, but might make a person miserable. That would be my mindset.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
From the people ive seen, then its a big thing and not wanting to be too grim, then it can take you out for a year or you can get over it much sooner.

I would just be planning either way. Theres not a lot you can do about how serious it might be other than follow medical advice, but if a person plans for all three outcomes i.e short term illness, medium one you can catch up from in the holidays and a long term resit year one, then you have everything covered.

Not something to beat yourself up about as these things happen, but you just deal with it. If it takes a year then so be it, worrying wont make it go any faster, but might make a person miserable. That would be my mindset.

Pretty much nailed it, I think.

Quick Reply

Latest