The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've been pooled out of emmanuel, well, the letter said I MIGHT get called for another interview or be reconsidered by another college, I was just wondering, did all of you people who got pooled get this message or is it just me? I mean did you receive definite pools, or are they all letters saying blah,blah,blah, you might be called for another interview/be reconsidered by another college.
Yeah I got that message but it also said that my original college was still considering me. Did anyone else get that?
Reply 22
yeah letters are standardised.
Reply 23
I got told that I may get asked for an interview, I may just get an offer without an interview, or I might not hear anything which means I've been unsuccessful. I wasn't told my college was still considering me but in the statistics I was sent, they said that last year 125 people were accepted by their original college after they'd been pooled (but that's out of 3000 so not too likely!).
Reply 24
djjz13
Hasn't the pool already taken place? In which case, it's pointless said candidate emailing...

No, the pool was still going on today. I can't quite remember the original context of the quotation you've got there, but it made sense in context (I hope)! :smile:

LibbyO
I got told that I may get asked for an interview, I may just get an offer without an interview, or I might not hear anything which means I've been unsuccessful. I wasn't told my college was still considering me but in the statistics I was sent, they said that last year 125 people were accepted by their original college after they'd been pooled (but that's out of 3000 so not too likely!).

Your chances aren't too bad. It's better if you look at the overall numbers: 1/5 of those people who are pooled (like you) are fished out by someone. :smile:

Edit: Mistake in statistics -- correct information below!
Reply 25
lol yes that made sense epitome!

Then you confused me again :P

epitome

It's not 3,000 who are pooled overall -- it's around 700 (I think).

Is that not the amount of people who get an offer from the pool? So many statistics hearsay and gossip! :biggrin: I'm quite enjoying this actually! I've just realised I'm really really not rejected and still in with a chance!
djjz13

Is that not the amount of people who get an offer from the pool? So many statistics hearsay and gossip! :biggrin: I'm quite enjoying this actually! I've just realised I'm really really not rejected and still in with a chance!

Snap!
Reply 27
Sorry, djj -- you are absolutely right! My brain is so addled with all this stuff today. *headdesk*

You should have received info about the pool, I think, in which it says the actual numbers (not the ones made up by Stupid Epitome in her haze!):

- 2,985 applications were pooled in total
- 520 pooled applicants were re-interviewed
- 752 pooled applicants were made offers, of these:
- 378 received a direct offer without returning for Pool interviews
- 374 received offers following a Pool interview
- 124 pooled applicants received offers from the College that pooled them

Sorry, again!
Reply 28
(And I edited my original post, so as not to mislead anyone with rubbish statistics!)
Reply 29
epitome
(And I edited my original post, so as not to mislead anyone with rubbish statistics!)

haha excellent - no worries about the mistake, I'm quite stupidly happy right now :smile:
Reply 30
djjz13
no worries about the mistake

Well, no worries, perhaps...but a little frustration on my part. I spend ages trying to dispell myths and provide the correct statistics & info and then go and make it up! *laughs* :biggrin: :wink:
Yeh I didn't get told my original college was still considering me.
What happens is that it goes into the pool for all Colleges to consider your application. Another College may fish you out and give you a straight offer, or they may wish to re-interview.

If you are not fished out, your application is returned to the College you applied to. It is then up ot them whether they take or reject you. Naturally at this point most people are rejected, but there have been numerous instances of original Colleges taking people anyway, as they were surprised they weren't fished out.

And as to the original question, no you won't find out what category you were put under!
So is everybody's application files guaranteed to be read by some other college at least once if they are in the pool? Or are some people's application files skipped over after seeing the cover sheet?
Reply 34
child_of_light
So is everybody's application files guaranteed to be read by some other college at least once if they are in the pool? Or are some people's application files skipped over after seeing the cover sheet?

No-one will have any real answer to that, I'm afraid.

One would hope that all that are marked worthy of serious consideration would be read. And I should think they most probably are. The Admissions Tutors are by no means the laziest here (that is, they work damned hard!) -- they're unlikely to take shortcuts with something as important as applications. :smile:
Reply 35
child_of_light

what's on the cover letter?
Reply 36
lots, interview scores, GCSE point score etc etc
djjz13
lots, interview scores, GCSE point score etc etc

Those two don't sound very encouraging, haha.

I'm curious now, too, as I feel my personal statement would do me a lot more justice (perhaps also my written work).

I spent about 10 minutes trying to find something like that earlier... Haha!

Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending