The Student Room Group

are there many jobs in the uk for engineering

hi,

im seriously thinking about doing engineering or medicine and i am just wondering about whether if there are jobs in the uk for an engineer.

im thinking of mechanical engineers and especially chemical engineers as what ive been told by people about engineering suggests that there is no future in engineering because as there is a far less need for people nowadays due to computers doing most of the work.

because im interestted in engineering i tend to like working things out and designing things but i dont want to graduate as an engineer and find that there are no jobs for me in the uk and i dont really want to go to another country

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes there are loads of jobs for engineers, there is a shortage of good ones in this country, mainly due to the fact that most people think engineers mend cars in a back street garage which is not true.

Engineering as a subject is well regarded by other industries too.
Reply 2
thebadboy
due to computers doing most of the work.

I can assure you that even that field requires engineers :smile:

There does seem to be a shortage of decent engineers in the UK, you mention a broad range of fields there and it does vary. In general you shouldn't have a problem with employment with the right qualification and experience (usually the main stumbling point).
Reply 3
most engineering students don't even go on to work in the engineering sector! :biggrin:
Reply 4
shiny
most engineering students don't even go on to work in the engineering sector! :biggrin:

I certainly don't see myself using my spanner much in electrical engineering. Now what use is that?!

(A lot of engineers end up in management/maths related jobs/doing various other odd jobs *shrug*)
Reply 5
i know what you mean about these so called automotive engineers (my uncle is one) but they arnt really true engineers if u know what i mean. yeah my only question and problem was about if i would get a job, and if it would pay very gd.

so if i were to become an engineer i would most probably find a suitable job,

does anyone know the pay of an engineer or does it highly depend on waht type of engineer and your experience?

what about for example a chemical engineer ( i know that it can go really high to about 50k but i mean in a real life scenario not the highst pay i mean sorta more liek the average)?

do you think that i would be able to get experience quickly and well if i would be able to get experience because i know that in some jobs it is really hard and that is waht holds them back because they have studied and then cant seem to get any experience and seem to end up working in a distrubution centre or something.

im sorry about all the questions its just that some of the questions only you people can answer

thanks for your help guys
Reply 6
Engineering salaries (like most other jobs) are linked to experience and management capability. So the better you are technically the more you earn or the more management experience you have the more you earn! :smile:

How fast you progress up the salary ladder is going to depend (like in other jobs) on (a) your abilities, (b) a bit of politics and (c) a little luck!
As far as I'm aware the "average" is in the 30K-40K bracket, I'm not disclosing my hubby's salary, but suffice to say its at the higher end, and because he is currently working out of the country it is doubled. My hubby is also chartered, so I think that has something to do with his salary being good too.

If ever we were to get divorced, I'd be looking to marry another chemical engineer! :wink:

Also there is a shortage of engineers in this country and apparently not many in the pipeline studying as it were. I would think it a safe bet to train in this area.

And on the "engineer" status. Its one of those things that gets right up my hubby's nose. BEng = engineer, someone who fixes a washing machine is not an engineer.
Reply 8
OrganisedChaos
And on the "engineer" status. Its one of those things that gets right up my hubby's nose. BEng = engineer, someone who fixes a washing machine is not an engineer.

Hehe :biggrin: We know! :wink: :smile:
Reply 9
OrganisedChaos
Also there is a shortage of engineers in this country and apparently not many in the pipeline studying as it were. I would think it a safe bet to train in this area.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. However, I think it's starting to improve - apparently people starting Civil Engineering courses this autumn (me included) have gone up 30% this year.
Reply 10
elpollodiablouk
Yeah, I'd agree with that. However, I think it's starting to improve - apparently people starting Civil Engineering courses this autumn (me included) have gone up 30% this year.

It's not how many do the courses but rather how many actually go into industry and work as engineers! A lot don't.
shiny
It's not how many do the courses but rather how many actually go into industry and work as engineers! A lot don't.

I want to! Give me a set of spanners over a desk anyday... :biggrin:
Reply 12
shiny

Yeah, only about half at Bristol, they told us, went to work in the Engineering industry, with a few going into things like Finance and Law.
Reply 13
Plus I read that there'll be a problem in a few years because a lot of people currently working in Engineering are approaching retirement, and they're about to leave en masse.
Reply 14
elpollodiablouk
Yeah, only about half at Bristol, they told us, went to work in the Engineering industry, with a few going into things like Finance and Law.

Yeah, the national average is something like 50-60% too.

That's why Engineering is so wonderful! :biggrin: You can go and work as a spanner boy if you want or go off and do what other people do if you want! :biggrin:
Reply 15
elpollodiablouk
Plus I read that there'll be a problem in a few years because a lot of people currently working in Engineering are approaching retirement, and they're about to leave en masse.

It's a conspiracy I'm telling you :rolleyes:

Spanner in hand I'll do my part for our country!
Reply 16
PhilipsCDRW
Spanner in hand doing what?

I'll be an aeronautical engineer (if my current plans last 4 years!) but where can I work in Britain when I graduate? Call me a nationalist snob, but multi-national corporations don't appeal much. That leaves BAe Systems, and Rolls-Royce. Looks like I'll have to unplug the games PC, knuckle down and leave with a First.

Alternately I could become a restaurant manager... echos of Fawlty Towers...

QinetiQ :smile:
Reply 17
OrganisedChaos

I'd even disagree with that though :smile: CEng = Engineer. BEng just means you have a degree, get chartered and then you should be allowed to be called an engineer. I mean i shouldn't call myself an engineer really cos i'm not chartered yet, can't be till i'm 25 anyhow but thats a different subject.
Yep you're right he's a CEng MICheme thingy, or so it says on his post!

I know MICheme is nothing really, but its nice to see lots of letters! lol
Reply 19
Vladek
I'd even disagree with that though :smile: CEng = Engineer. BEng just means you have a degree, get chartered and then you should be allowed to be called an engineer. I mean i shouldn't call myself an engineer really cos i'm not chartered yet, can't be till i'm 25 anyhow but thats a different subject.

Nah, it should be CEng and you must have a golden spanner! :cool: :biggrin:

Latest