The Student Room Group

CCB to AAA

Original post by complexminded
Hi, I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths at AS level I only achieved CCB respectively. I never knew what I wanted to do whilst in Y12. I didn't put the work in. Now I'm in Y13 I decided I want to study nothing other than Medicine at uni. My plan is to either apply to medicine in clearing (if it even goes into clearing) or to take a gap year and apply for 2019 entry.

Onto the reason I created this thread - I'm not sure where to start with my revision and best way to revise effectively.

My concerns at the moment are that I'm forgetting content I just learnt when moving onto revise a new topic; I don't feel that i'm ready to begin past papers since my knowledge is lacking and I feel that I don't have any proper plan in place. I can't help but tell myself I would not achieve my goal and I'm worried that this is causing a mental block.

What are your thoughts?

I use a traffic light system when I revise, even now I’m doing my MSc!
I write a list of all of the topics I need to cover and then next to it I put a sticker; red if I have minimal or no understanding of the topic, yellow if I’m semi-confident and green if I’m confident.
I then start covering the red topics to turn them yellow, then yellow to green.

It’s common for people to start their revision with what they know best, it’s just how humans work! But always always start with what you’re least comfortable with, if you run out of revision time and questions come up on stuff that is already green, you’ll do well, if they come up on red stuff you’re screwed!

Also, last year SGUL had medicine in clearing!

CCB to AAA

Hi, I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths at AS level I only achieved CCB respectively. I never knew what I wanted to do whilst in Y12. I didn't put the work in. Now I'm in Y13 I decided I want to study nothing other than Medicine at uni. My plan is to either apply to medicine in clearing (if it even goes into clearing) or to take a gap year and apply for 2019 entry.

Onto the reason I created this thread - I'm not sure where to start with my revision and best way to revise effectively.

My concerns at the moment are that I'm forgetting content I just learnt when moving onto revise a new topic; I don't feel that i'm ready to begin past papers since my knowledge is lacking and I feel that I don't have any proper plan in place. I can't help but tell myself I would not achieve my goal and I'm worried that this is causing a mental block.

What are your thoughts?

I write a list of all of the topics I need to cover and then next to it I put a sticker; red if I have minimal or no understanding of the topic, yellow if I’m semi-confident and green if I’m confident.

It’s common for people to start their revision with what they know best, it’s just how humans work! But always always start with what you’re least comfortable with, if you run out of revision time and questions come up on stuff that is already green, you’ll do well, if they come up on red stuff you’re screwed!

Original post by georgem93

The traffic light method seems like it will work out well for me. Thank you for suggesting it :smile: Sometimes I feel confident with a topic but a few days later I struggle to remember some points. When do you think you've credited a green sticker?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
The traffic light method seems like it will work out well for me. Sometimes, you feel confident with a topic but a few days later you struggle to remember some points. When do you think you've credited a green sticker?

Always start your revision early, give yourself a green if you can confidently and comprehensively explain the topic a week later, and then again 2 weeks later :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending