The Student Room Group

Man sentenced to 15 years in prison for breaking into Mosque and vandalising it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Apparently he was a repeat offender, some people just don't learn so you have to hand our increasingly harsher sentences.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results.

Yup.. handing out increasingly harsher sentences certainly sounds like the correct response...
even for this, it's still too much. What's even more weird is that the agreement was done between the police and the muslim society. Obviously they would want a larger punishment, and heck, even death, if only possible...

This is what a lot of a people are intolerant of, the fact that local laws are influenced by religions from another country.
Reply 42
Sounds lenient. I don't want that sort of scum on the street.
Oh Titusville :laugh:
There's a reasonable chance nothing more exciting will have happened there before he's released!
surely this is one of the rasher sentencing decisions of the Florida courts

:holmes:
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
It is because he was a Habitual Felony Offender. http://sa18.org/press/id/454 Plenty of US states have strict punishments for repeat offenders, with the so-called "three strikes" rules. The story here is not that it's bacon -- by all means, he went to a mosque with a machete and doesn't deserve any sympathy -- rather the story is that the state of Florida does not tolerate felony recidivists.

It looks like he could have been given 30 years for it! https://www.richardhornsby.com/criminal/sentencing/enhancements.html#

Islamophobes will ignore this statement.
I get the impression that most people have not bothered to read the article.

He took a plea deal to avoid armed burglary. America is very harsh with repeat offenders like this guy.
Original post by math42
He does not deserve a single second in prison. This action harms nobody. Obviously breaking into anywhere is a serious crime, but when you do not steal anything or do any remote damage, I cannot reasonably say that you have done anything warranting jail time. This is patently absurd.

He was running around chopping **** up with a machete.
Reply 48
Original post by the beer
He was running around chopping **** up with a machete.

Right, I just actually read the article. Must concede that first time around (I swear the thread title originally only referenced the bacon) I didn't make much of an effort so my bad. In this case I agree with Reue at the top of this page; vandalism should not carry such a hefty sentence. As I understand it the key factor is him being a repeat offender, and such individuals are liable to get incommensurate sentences in America. I still don't think that makes this long sentence okay though.
Original post by math42
Right, I just actually read the article. Must concede that first time around (I swear the thread title originally only referenced the bacon) I didn't make much of an effort so my bad. In this case I agree with Reue at the top of this page; vandalism should not carry such a hefty sentence. As I understand it the key factor is him being a repeat offender, and such individuals are liable to get incommensurate sentences in America. I still don't think that makes this long sentence okay though.

It did originally only mention the bacon as that is what the news article said, I have since updated it to make it clear that it wasn't just the bacon but a host of other offences and him being a re-offender.
Meanwhile rapists get acquitted.
Original post by Chaz254
What an absolute joke. 15 years??? People convicted of much worse crimes get less time than that.

"Vandalizing" "Hate crime" If he was violent towards Muslims or physically damaged the Mosque (e.g. fire etc.) it would make more sense, but for leaving bacon? What a ****ing joke.

"Police said Wolfe broke into the mosque, ripping down lights, smashing windows and leaving behind the pork product."
This is just plain ridiculous!! Meanwhile a damn illegal immigrant in California is free to roam the streets after killing an innocent woman.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending