The Student Room Group

Woman Calls Man A “White Idiot” During Furious Row On Busy Train

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngryJellyfish

Yeah agreed, sad how things have become so divisive and I think both "sides" are to blame.

Im happy to admit though that "non whites" dont seem to think it's a big deal when white people experience racism. The reasoning is that it doesnt have as much impact in most cases (perhaps why in this instance they were able to have a conversation after and make up).

Yes, although in reality this is not what happens. You're speaking hypothetically, im drawing to how it is in reality.

My point is I dont think its an ethnic minority vs white thing. Im south asian and I can say for sure that some people in my community are incredibly racist, more racist than white people too imo.

The divisive rhetoric you're creating isnt even an accurate divide.

No Im applying for maths and econ

Ill talk about intent at the end

I personally believe intent matters although your original post is about minorities as a collective.

I'll address intent at the end though.

Haha nice save, you were banging on about bc race and social structures even though I disagree with that

The idiots who say you cant be racist to white people are pseudo-intellectual sjw liberals who've failed in life and blame their sufferings on whites and have developed a deep rooted hatred for the "system". It's much more of an american thing than it is here.

I dont think that purely looking at outcome over intent is a result of being a race reductivist, I dont think its a race issue at all and just purely intent vs outcome.

Whilst I do agree intent is fairly important, you're placing too much importance on it. The issue with intent is that you're making fundamental assumptions. For example, you're assuming the woman in this video is trying to think of the worst possible racial insult. Is "white idiot" really the worst she can think of? you said it yourself, racists have managed to come up with far more stuff against white ppl. Maybe she's just unintelligent (as all racists are) but to say that the moral blameworthiness of something should purely depend upon an assumption is silly.

Second thing is that intent and outcome arent independent of each other. If someone has bad intentions, the outcome is gonna be reflective and dependent on their initial intent. So when someone criticises the outcome, it's often the case that they are also indirectly criticising the intent too.
I do agree with most of what you've said

I think most people are in my experience. The ones who think otherwise are usually hardcore liberals who read too much Buzzfeed. It's just generally accepted that you can be racist to anyone.

The only issue however is that people believe that being racist to white people is less "serious" as it is when you're racist to someone of a minority background. Surprisingly ive seen many white people perpetuate it too. I personally think the idea that white people would care less about racist remarks against them since they live in a white country MAY be true however it doesnt change the fact that they are equal in intrinsic offence.

Yes, I agree that "black idiot" and "White idiot" will hold equal weight.

The only issue here is that i've seen white people say the same thing. Perhaps growing up around lots of liberal people means i've seen it a lot more but I dont think this idea that you believe you cant be racist to white people is solely down to your race although ofc many who do believe in it uses it as an excuse

Alright yeah i agree although one small point here is that I think it is easier for the white person to use harsher racial insults simply due to the historic nature of racism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending