The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Ok, first thing's first. If you wish to get a serious response from the users of this forum, then I would advise that you use atleast reasonably good english, as opposed to "lyk" and "alwayz".

Ok, rant over. Yes, it is entirely possible to have a job and still get good grades, but it does depend on how hard-working you are to begin with, and how talented you are in your chosen subjects. If you are going to do the work anyway, and want a job to kill spare time, then go for it. But, if you want to work enough to have decent money, have a healthy social life, and get good grades, I would advise that you pass on the job, and mooch off your parents, at least until after all your exams are behind you.

On the other hand, it might be a good idea to have a job, just doing a shift a week, until the holidays/end of school, then start earning money properly. That's what I did.

Anywho, I'm not entierly sure how much sense this post made, but I am fairly tired, and can't be bothered to edit it. If there's good advice, then take it.
no why should it? It's just about balancing your time and your work. You can always try it, it may work for you, it may not. But its a good thing to get into because if you want to go to uni then the majority of people I know including me got part time jobs to pay for nights out and stuff, aswell as having a loan
Yes, of course you can have a job and still do well in your AS exams.. I managed it (and worked throughout my GCSEs too), because I didn't have a choice. I did about 20-25 hours per week when I was in years 12 and 13; I'm now working nights and doing another A-level during the day, and I'm no genius so it's definitely doable. It just requires a bit of decent time-management, and the occasional sacrifice of evenings out, etc. :smile:
*ellen marine*
Yes, of course you can have a job and still do well in your AS exams.. I managed it (and worked throughout my GCSEs too), because I didn't have a choice. I did about 20-25 hours per week when I was in years 12 and 13; I'm now working nights and doing another A-level during the day, and I'm no genius so it's definitely doable. It just requires a bit of decent time-management, and the occasional sacrifice of evenings out, etc. :smile:

it sickens me to see how perfect you are.
:smile:
Greatleysteg
it sickens me to see how perfect you are.
:smile:

Bwa ha ha... I do hate to ruin such a wonderful impression - but alas, I am a million miles from perfection. :biggrin: But thanks. :wink:
*ellen marine*
Bwa ha ha... I do hate to ruin such a wonderful impression - but alas, I am a million miles from perfection. :biggrin: But thanks. :wink:

:P what A Level are you taking that you need an A in? And which Oxford college?
Greatleysteg
:P what A Level are you taking that you need an A in? And which Oxford college?

I'm doing Biology A-level at the moment, and it is slowly sucking out my soul. Oh, and the Oxford college is Harris Manchester (seeing as I am practically an old woman, just shy of 22. :p:) Which college will you be going to?
*ellen marine*
I'm doing Biology A-level at the moment, and it is slowly sucking out my soul. Oh, and the Oxford college is Harris Manchester (seeing as I am practically an old woman, just shy of 22. :p:) Which college will you be going to?

St. Hilda's! :biggrin:

haha, old woman... I bet you'll struggle keeping up with the young'un and their drinking. They'll drink you under the table while you fall asleep on the chair.

My advice: Don't take any cheek from them. Just hit them with your zimmer frame :p:
Greatleysteg
St. Hilda's! :biggrin:

haha, old woman... I bet you'll struggle keeping up with the young'un and their drinking. They'll drink you under the table while you fall asleep on the chair.

My advice: Don't take any cheek from them. Just hit them with your zimmer frame :p:

Ah it's alright.. I'll be the perfect young whipper-snapper at HMC, given that the average age of students there is 24-25. I also met some people in their thirties/forties. :smile: Funny how I'd have been the 'old one' at any other college, but will be the 'baby' at HMC, heh. It does mean that my penchants for knitting and sherry and carpet slippers won't make me stick out like a sore thumb, though, which is a good thing. :wink:

I'm sorry to say I don't know much about Hilda's! Is it the one near the Botanic Gardens?
Well, I work 12 hours a week, and I'm going to quit in April to concentrate on exams, because I feel like I have no time at the moment. However, I do play football, and so spend my Wednesday evenings training and most of each Sunday playing a match, which means I pretty much don't have a weekend, as I work on Saturdays (and Thursdays). To be honest, I could probably keep working throughout exams, the season will have finished then anyway- I just don't like my job and it's a good excuse to quit... ha. I put a lot of pressure on myself, too, so I don't want to do anything to prevent me from getting the results I want. But I wouldn't worry - it's certainly doable, as long as you make use of the free time you do have.

And, to the 'other' converstion going on - congratulations *ellen marine* on getting an offer from Oxford! I'm hoping to apply there next year... I don't know how good a chance I have, but heck, I'm going to try.

I'm not sure how much I actually contributed to this thread, but oh well.
^ Cheers! :smile:

One tiny bit of advice: go for it! You will hear a lot of people telling you that you won't get an offer (every Oxbridge applicant I know has had the same sorts of put-downs), but you never know unless you apply, do you?

Oh - and to BibbleJW.. the OP may not be able to "mooch" off his/her parents, so there may be no such option: s/he may just have to choose between being skint or getting a job. :smile:
Reply 12
I've worked since i was 16, although i didnt do all that well in my A levels that was my own fault because any free time i had was spent doing other things and i just didnt put the work in. Im now at uni (and still working) doing really well because im doing the work thats required.

Its nice to have the money from a job as well as the experience.
I worked since I was 13. Until Oct I worked in a restaurant for 2/3 shifts a week but had breaks during exams. Now I work as a Lifeguard and since it pays twice as much I don't need to work as much, I do about 8-10 hrs a week and get loads of qualifications (Swimming teacher, netball coach...). Its just a case of time management and organisation... which you'll need in your future career anyway.
Reply 14
i am doing A2 now and am finding it more stressful now i have a saturday job. I would say forget it at AS and see how you go...you can always take one on as soon as youve done your AS exams and over summer and continue with it at A2 f you can manage it. But i think its worthwhile concentrating on your exams this year...it will take a lot of pressure off you next year if you get good AS results

Latest

Trending

Trending