The Student Room Group

Why do people say that BTECs are **** easy?

People still go to university with them.
Reply 1
Still a certain amount of snobbery in some schools around pushing students down the A level route where the outcome is all on the day rather than vocational qualifications such as the BTEC where the load is spread over the two year period. Not easier IMO just a different way of working. I have seen some very capable A level students fluff the exams and not get into university and equally seen some capable BTEC students being lazy and just not submitting work to a high standard or going the extra mile for the higher grades to get in.

Personally I'm a big advocate of the BTEC qualification. In some ways it prepares the student better for University life, enabling them to think for themselves, self research in many cases with Harvard referencing and work consistently at a standard a key requirement for the majority of University programs.

Obviously like anything you only get out what you put in, some students take to the BTEC unit learning program well some don't. BUT it matters not what others do, its down to what you do. IF you invest maximum effort consistently throughout the entire two years you can secure the top grades 3 Distinction* maximum UCAS points and the majority of University placements are open to you. Don't do a BTEC expecting an easy life, it's not, its continuous assessment.

Equally if you don't maintain a high standard of work, or put the effort in you fail or get a low grade or Pass level, for some students to secure a pass maybe the best of their specific ability, not everyone is cut out for University. IF the BTEC level qualification was so **** easy then everyone taking it would come out with top grades but they don't. 20% of BTEC students can secure a Distinction* grade V 10% of A level students that can secure an A* grade. To secure 3 Distinction* at BTEC the numbers are significantly less just like getting 3 A levels at A* the numbers are less.

97.3% of A level Students pass A* to E v 99.4% of BTEC students pass D* to Pass - BUT to get into University passing a BTEC at PASS level is of next to no use to you just like an A level grade E.

Meanwhile, students entering University with A*A*A* have the best outcomes - with 95 per cent of students gaining a first or upper second class degree. This compares with 71 per cent of students entering University with BTEC D*D*D*.

At the end of the day, my view is IF you want to do medical or dentistry at University then you should probably stick to A levels and for anything else the BTEC route can offer a good alternative option to A levels to get you into the vast majority of University places providing you pass high enough.

I would work it backwards and look at where you might want to go next and what course you want to do and see what the entry requirements are. Will they accept you with a BTEC or do you need an A level? I would then consider what your preferred method of study is, are you good at all on the day exams or would regular work submissions and continuous assessment work better for you? As i say, everyone is different, no right or wrong route here...

Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending