The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University: Full Time or Part Time

I'm looking at starting the Environmental Studies (Q99) degree with The OU this Autumn but undecided on how many credits to study each year. I currently work full time (35 hours a week) and would ideally like to complete the course in less that 6 years. Has anybody every worked and studied both full time?Also if anybody's had any experience with the Environmental Studies course - what are you thoughts on the work load etc?
Reply 1
Original post by ejns97
I'm looking at starting the Environmental Studies (Q99) degree with The OU this Autumn but undecided on how many credits to study each year. I currently work full time (35 hours a week) and would ideally like to complete the course in less that 6 years. Has anybody every worked and studied both full time?Also if anybody's had any experience with the Environmental Studies course - what are you thoughts on the work load etc?

I think if you are going to do 120 credits in a year and work full time, it’s best to do it at level 1. Level 2 though I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s doable but I think results would suffer.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
What do you mean by levels?
Reply 3
Original post by ejns97
What do you mean by levels?

Level 1 is the year 1 modules you have to take. Level 2 is they year 2 etc.
I know many people who have done it full time whilst working full time, many others who have tried to and had to defer modules as it was too much and many that have done it part time and been happy they hadn’t had to do more.

It really is dependent on yourself and how disciplined you are at arranging your time table.
Also depends on what your other responsibilities/social life is outside of your working hours.
Another thing it depends on (especially level one) is your academic background and how difficult you are likely to find learning the foundation skills in the beginning.
There is often the option to start modules in October and then, if you’re finding to workload manageable, pick more up in February but not all modules/paths have that option.
You are also able to defer modules quite easily if you try to do full time and find that you aren’t managing.
Reply 5
I completed level 1 for Computing in 1 year thanks to several modules having February starts. I’m not sure I would recommend studying 4 modules on one sitting at level 2 though as they all start in October. You would need to allow (at least) 35 hours a week to study. Whilst doable ( I worked until recently in a 90 hour a week job) as has already been mentioned above I think your grades would suffer.
Reply 6
This is totally a personal thing, so from my point of view.

I am studying a course of 120 credits level. last year I studied a 30 credit, the same this year and a 60 credit unit the next, all in all this means I am taking level one over 3 years, and in the end it will take me 7 years to complete my degree.

I am taking this route because, I work full time often >50 hours per week, and I also have a young family who I actually want to see now and then.
Original post by ejns97

I have been having similar thoughts to yourself, and have decided that I am going to try studying full-time alongside a full-time job for the first year, and see how I get on. Then go down to part-time in second and third year. That's the plan, as it stands.

Quick Reply

Latest