The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scandinavian Studies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stinkyalice
Tbh the courses at Aberdeen looked, in my opinion at least, much more varied and interesting. And a ferry ride away from the Shetland islands! Though I can only speak for the Anglo Saxon/Viking ones. Also, Aberdeen has a swimming pool with some of the best water slides I have ever been on.

Hope everyone enjoys the coming year, whatever courses you're all doing x

Thanks, hope you have a great time where you are! x
(edited 9 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Heimdallr33
Good luck in Aberdeen and with your course! :h:

Hope you like London :smile:
Hey, has anyone made a Facebook group for Scandi department freshers?
Original post by VikingLemon
Hey, has anyone made a Facebook group for Scandi department freshers?

I've only been able to find Scandi Studies groups on fb (I sent a request to join ages ago but no one has answered :colonhash:)
Maybe we could make one?
Obviously it would include Scandi Studies, Viking Studies, Icelandic and any other person who studies a Scandi language in the Modern Languages BA...Did I miss anything? :smile:

EDIT: You might also want to (if you haven't got one already) create a Twitter account to follow https://twitter.com/scandstudies :smile: I created one only for that really ahahah
(edited 9 years ago)
I've only been able to find Scandi Studies groups on fb (I sent a request to join ages ago but no one has answered :colonhash:)
Maybe we could make one?
Obviously it would include Scandi Studies, Viking Studies, Icelandic and any other person who studies a Scandi language in the Modern Languages BA...Did I miss anything? :smile:

EDIT: You might also want to (if you haven't got one already) create a Twitter account to follow https://twitter.com/scandstudies :smile: I created one only for that really ahahah

I really like the idea :smile: I also sent a request to join Scandinavian Studies group on FB but haven't received any response.
Original post by karolinaam
I really like the idea :smile: I also sent a request to join Scandinavian Studies group on FB but haven't received any response.

I could create it and then put a post up in one of the UCL groups so that other Scandi peeps can join :smile:
I could create it and then put a post up in one of the UCL groups so that other Scandi peeps can join :smile:

Good idea, can I join even though I'm not starting until next year? :colondollar::biggrin:
Original post by Samual
Good idea, can I join even though I'm not starting until next year? :colondollar::biggrin:

Why of course :h:
Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/487221764713911/

I'll put it up on the UCL fb page as well now :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone:smile:

Can someone tell if Edinburgh Scandi Studies is a nice course or not and how can it be compared with the one UCL offers? And what grades do Edinburgh tend to ask for SS?
Original post by deadviser
Can someone tell if Edinburgh Scandi Studies is a nice course or not and how can it be compared with the one UCL offers? And what grades do Edinburgh tend to ask for SS?

Scandinavian Studies at the University of Edinburgh is an excellent degree programme. It's a very friendly, supportive department. Difficult to say how it compares to UCL - no one has ever studied at both. I tend to lean towards the Edinburgh programme as being better (the degree structure in Scotland means you supplement your learning in years 1 and 2 with additional skills via outside courses) and the courses on offer primarily tally better with my own interests. That being said, UCL offers a good degree too - and it's difficult to comment comprehensively, because UCL is currently undergoing a lot of changes to its programme/departmental make up, and Edinburgh is also amending a lot of things. The experience of a 4th year today isn't necessarily the experience you would have. Edinburgh tend to make BBB offers for Scandinavian Studies, but will expect successful applicants to have predicted grades of ~AAB, and don't forget the requirement for a GCSE C (or equivalent) in a foreign language.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
UCL is currently undergoing a lot of changes to its programme/departmental make up

Hm the guy I spoke to from Edinburgh said something similar but didn't elaborate. What exactly is changing (apart from the degree title for Viking Studies)? I hope it's nothing too drastic. Everybody seems to be in the know, apart from applicants! Very annoying. :tongue:
Original post by Samual
Hm the guy I spoke to from Edinburgh said something similar but didn't elaborate. What exactly is changing (apart from the degree title for Viking Studies)? I hope it's nothing too drastic. Everybody seems to be in the know, apart from applicants! Very annoying. :tongue:

Well all its established names retired, half the courses have been ripped up, other courses are being developed (which can be good, but it takes time for courses to bed in), and in the one respect where the UCL department used to enjoy great freedom by essentially being independent they've not been brought under the SELCs umbrella which changes things administratively (and in time will probably change how the programme works). UCL has a lot of staff, and not very many students, which isn't necessarily sustainable either.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Well all its established names retired, half the courses have been ripped up, other courses are being developed (which can be good, but it takes time for courses to bed in), and in the one respect where the UCL department used to enjoy great freedom by essentially being independent they've not been brought under the SELCs umbrella which changes things administratively (and in time will probably change how the programme works). UCL has a lot of staff, and not very many students, which isn't necessarily sustainable either.

Oh, I see. :frown: I don't think I'm ever going to be 100% comfortable with declining Edinburgh, they had a lot of nice things but I went with UCL because the modules seemed to fit my interests more... if the modules do change then I will be stuffed. In what way is Edinburgh trying to change?

Most people I know didn't read the module lists/descriptions before going to university so perhaps I'm over thinking this.
Thanks for answering. By the way, how is your year abroad usually runs? Do you study at an exchange uni or just enjoying the easy year?:smile:
Original post by deadviser
Thanks for answering. By the way, how is your year abroad usually runs? Do you study at an exchange uni or just enjoying the easy year?:smile:

I'm not sure I follow your question.
I mean what do people usually do on their year abroad?
Hiya! Just wondering if anyone is thinking about applying to Edinburgh for Scandi Studies (2015 entry)?
I originally wanted to apply for UCL but went to an open day a few months ago and just really hated it :s-smilie:
So at the moment I think one of my choices is gunna be German & Scandinavian Studies at Edinburgh. I haven't been on an open day there because it is just way too far, but oh well!
Original post by Polecat
I originally wanted to apply for UCL but went to an open day a few months ago and just really hated it :s-smilie:

:eek: Why? I didn't go the the open day, I hope I don't regret that.
Original post by Samual
:eek: Why? I didn't go the the open day, I hope I don't regret that.

I guess London just isn't for me!
I was also looking at German and the taster lecture was the most boring thing I've ever witnessed.
Plus I was on my own and everyone's pushy parents kept pushing in front of me so I couldn't talk to anyone. Also I was jyst generally lost and confused the whole day and there was no one to help me, it wasn't very organised :/
The whole day just completely put me off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending