The Student Room Group

Thoughts on globalisation and education as the 30 mark question?

My sociology teacher was saying it was likely that globalisation would be a 30 mark question on the education paper, and was also saying my class would be at a massive advantage if it was, because according to her a lot of other colleges don't really go into detail about globalisation. However, surely that wouldn't be the case, and looking at textbooks and class content there's not really that much about globalisation in education - does anyone else think this is likely, and does your college go into depth on globalisation or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fgw05
My sociology teacher was saying it was likely that globalisation would be a 30 mark question on the education paper, and was also saying my class would be at a massive advantage if it was, because according to her a lot of other colleges don't really go into detail about globalisation. However, surely that wouldn't be the case, and looking at textbooks and class content there's not really that much about globalisation in education - does anyone else think this is likely, and does your college go into depth on globalisation or not?

hiya xx
My college didn't go into depth about it so I had to take matters into my own hands and research into it. It is likely but I wouldn't be too concerned. Like you said, it hasn't really come up. I would still focus on ethnicity or class as the 30 marker because that too hasn't come up either.

Since you went into loads of detail with your teacher, are there any key theorists? I know the marxist, hyper globalist, neo liberal and fordist view but are there any others? xx
Reply 2
Hi! Thank you for your reply :smile:

We went into a bit of depth, but didn't really go into any theorists, which was my main concern, it was more just examples from society (such as policies like EBACC, PISA and global league tables, the Scandinavian free schools, curriculum subjects, like languages and RE, and policies within schools like prayer facilities, PREVENT and studying abroad), so I don't really feel too confident about writing about it, since the only sociologists I could think off would be cross-topic links from social policy or the new right.

I have mixed feelings about it being a 30 marker to be honest, on the one hand I'm not really confident about it, but it seems like most people aren't either - ethnicity or class would definitely be better.

Original post by onlinegyaah
hiya xx
My college didn't go into depth about it so I had to take matters into my own hands and research into it. It is likely but I wouldn't be too concerned. Like you said, it hasn't really come up. I would still focus on ethnicity or class as the 30 marker because that too hasn't come up either.

Since you went into loads of detail with your teacher, are there any key theorists? I know the marxist, hyper globalist, neo liberal and fordist view but are there any others? xx
Original post by fgw05
Hi! Thank you for your reply :smile:

We went into a bit of depth, but didn't really go into any theorists, which was my main concern, it was more just examples from society (such as policies like EBACC, PISA and global league tables, the Scandinavian free schools, curriculum subjects, like languages and RE, and policies within schools like prayer facilities, PREVENT and studying abroad), so I don't really feel too confident about writing about it, since the only sociologists I could think off would be cross-topic links from social policy or the new right.

I have mixed feelings about it being a 30 marker to be honest, on the one hand I'm not really confident about it, but it seems like most people aren't either - ethnicity or class would definitely be better.

no i defo agree. I do think there is a chance with it being a 10 marker or something like that?
How you feeling about MIC?
Reply 4
tbh i don’t think there’s a way to ask a whole 30 marker on globalisation without it linking quite heavily to policies. and the 30 mark last year was on policies so i think it’s unlikely they’ll ask about it again! i think it’s likely to come up as a 10 marker or one of the short Qs though :smile:
Reply 5
no i defo agree. I do think there is a chance with it being a 10 marker or something like that?
How you feeling about MIC?

Yeah same, a 10 marker would be pretty good for globalisation imo.
For me it could go either way, there's not too much content to it so I think whatever the question is it should be manageable? I think a lot of people tend to not revise the MIC questions or miss them out, so I'm just going over past questions and revising the basics tbh
Original post by fgw05
Yeah same, a 10 marker would be pretty good for globalisation imo.
For me it could go either way, there's not too much content to it so I think whatever the question is it should be manageable? I think a lot of people tend to not revise the MIC questions or miss them out, so I'm just going over past questions and revising the basics tbh

miss them out??? it's so many marks...
Reply 7
Original post by rwnsl
tbh i don’t think there’s a way to ask a whole 30 marker on globalisation without it linking quite heavily to policies. and the 30 mark last year was on policies so i think it’s unlikely they’ll ask about it again! i think it’s likely to come up as a 10 marker or one of the short Qs though :smile:

aaa ty, I hope so! I agree, I don't think there's that much else to write about, but my teacher was convinced it'd come up - a short question would be great
Reply 8
miss them out??? it's so many marks...

ik,, my teacher was saying its apparently quite common? especially for the 10 marker at the end?
Original post by fgw05
ik,, my teacher was saying its apparently quite common? especially for the 10 marker at the end?

i saw a past response where a person wrote three sentences and got three marks. Literally refuse to miss a question.

praying for a social class 30 marker >_<
Reply 10
i saw a past response where a person wrote three sentences and got three marks. Literally refuse to miss a question.

oh fr, I'm taking all the marks I can get tbh pksjs
same, social class or gender and achievement would be so good
Original post by fgw05
oh fr, I'm taking all the marks I can get tbh pksjs
same, social class or gender and achievement would be so good

i heard gender was on the AS so it might not come up?
but then again don't trust me because my predictions are always incorrect :,)
Reply 12
i heard gender was on the AS so it might not come up?
but then again don't trust me because my predictions are always incorrect :,)

ooooh yeah i forgot about that </3 hoping for social class at least then!
Reply 13

social class 30 marker came up in 2018 so thats not likely
will probs be processes within skls e.g labelling, streaming, setting linked to social group identities? (gender, class, ethnicity)
Original post by Wini_k05

ethnicity potential? that does tie in with processes within school because of labelling and teacher racism
Reply 16
Original post by Wini_k05

They can always ask about it from a different angle e.g. the 2017 paper asked about the role of education, but so did the 2021 paper just in a different manner!
Reply 17
Original post by Hellokitty123abc
will probs be processes within skls e.g labelling, streaming, setting linked to social group identities? (gender, class, ethnicity)

theres so much within processes in schools, im hoping so much for an action theory/social groups question 🙏🙏
Original post by fgw05
theres so much within processes in schools, im hoping so much for an action theory/social groups question 🙏🙏

I don't understand action theories could you please explain it to me
Original post by ayyhsvalosbbi
I don't understand action theories could you please explain it to me

social action theories are basically labelling, goffman's dramaturgical model and symbolic interactionism
it's also phenomology and ethnomethodology but they're not that amazing to talk about so I would steer clear

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending