The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scandinavian Studies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I won't be doing actual scandinavian studies, but ESPS. but the language ive chosen is norwegian, so ill be doing that within the scandinavian studies faculty i think.. so hi! :tongue: is everyone here doing the language from scratch or are there any native scandinavians like me here?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hej hej! I'll being doing Swedish from scratch rather than Norwegian :-) So you're native Norwegian and are going to study Norwegian? Aren't you fluent already? :-P
Reply 382
SleepingTheClockAround
Hej hej! I'll being doing Swedish from scratch rather than Norwegian :-) So you're native Norwegian and are going to study Norwegian? Aren't you fluent already? :-P

Umm well im half norwegian, and have gone to an english speaking school my entire life.. my norwegian is relatively good but im probably just a little bit better than someone doing higher french B in IB.. so i want to perfect it :smile: what made you choose swedish??
JimGrey
Umm well im half norwegian, and have gone to an english speaking school my entire life.. my norwegian is relatively good but im probably just a little bit better than someone doing higher french B in IB.. so i want to perfect it :smile: what made you choose swedish??

This is very coolio :smile: Are you starting this September or are you doing deferred entry?

I've been to Sweden quite a lot of I've just been more immersed in the countries culture etc... so it seems only fitting that I learn the language of the country I love :h: Having said that, I'd love to go to Norway this summer maybe for a little inter-railing around. I hear the Oslo - Bergen train journey is one of the finest in the world :smile:
Reply 384
SleepingTheClockAround
This is very coolio :smile: Are you starting this September or are you doing deferred entry?

I've been to Sweden quite a lot of I've just been more immersed in the countries culture etc... so it seems only fitting that I learn the language of the country I love :h: Having said that, I'd love to go to Norway this summer maybe for a little inter-railing around. I hear the Oslo - Bergen train journey is one of the finest in the world :smile:

well im currently already on my gap year, so im going to start in september..! yeh norway's cool, ive lived there for like 12 years so.. :tongue: i should actually be better in norwegian than i am!

yeh ive heard a lot of great things about that trip! you cross some beautiful scenery :smile: and the thing about norway is that there arent many big cities or towns inland, because of the terrain, so you get to see a lot of untouched nature!

do you know which unis in scandinavia we're allowed to choose for our year abroad btw?
JimGrey
do you know which unis in scandinavia we're allowed to choose for our year abroad btw?

I think for Norwegian its just Oslo and Tromsø.
Reply 386
Yeah, tis just those two UCL has links with for Norway. You can go elsewhere if you want to, but it takes more sorting out as there are no established links elsewhere, and you miss out on Erasmus funding and the like.

C-
Reply 387
Meg_Lili
Yeah, tis just those two UCL has links with for Norway. You can go elsewhere if you want to, but it takes more sorting out as there are no established links elsewhere, and you miss out on Erasmus funding and the like.

C-

oh right.. okay, do you know if that's the university of oslo? or another one? and where do you find out this stuff??
JimGrey
oh right.. okay, do you know if that's the university of oslo? or another one? and where do you find out this stuff??

Yes its the University of Oslo

Year 3 is spent abroad, studying at a university in the relevant Scandinavian country. You will also be writing your year abroad dissertation on a topic of your choice, supervised by a member of staff from UCL. Students choose from the following options where we have Socrates links:
Denmark: Aarhus, Copenhagen
Norway: Oslo, Tromsø
Sweden: Karlstad, Linköping, Umeå, Uppsala, Växjö
Finland: Åbo (Turku) (for Swedish language students)

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/scandinavian-studies/undergrad/scan-studies.htm
Reply 389
oh right.. thanks buddy!
Reply 390
Hrm... still haven't had my offer through on UCAS its been a month since they sent me the email. Anyone else had one?
Strange why it is taking so long. I guess maybe there are just a lot of people getting offers back etc.. at the minute. I'm sure they haven't forgotten about you :smile: Will UCL be your firm choice?
Reply 392
I hope not! That would be a pretty unfortunate thing... UCL will definitely be my number one. I can't decide between Edinburgh or Goldsmiths for my insurance!
Reply 393
UCL is always slow at replying, one of the slowest in fact.
Hylean
UCL is always slow at replying, one of the slowest in fact.

I second that. I applied in October 2006 and didn't receive an offer till April 2007.
Reply 395
Jeeeez.
That's funny, I got an offer from them two days after my interview. Tigertrap, have you got an offer via email from UCL and just waiting for it to come through on UCAS? or have you not heard anything from UCL or UCAS?
My fingers are crossed for you, tigertrap!
Reply 398
Thank you to the above!

I got an email a few days after my interview from the department saying they were offering me a place and I should wait about three weeks to get it through on UCAS. So its ok at least they sent me that email.

I'm just impatient is all! Want to find out what grades they want. What was your offer?
Ah not so bad then :-) At least you got the unofficial offer already. UCAS are just slowpokes!

I'm currently in limbo at the minute between changing courses and so forth so I got an unconditional offer. Hopefully see you there in September! Best of luck for everything :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending