The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scandinavian Studies

Scroll to see replies

Meg_Lili

Ah right, thanks very much for clearing that up. I was very worried for a moment. :o:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 581
Meg_Lili
*snips*

Basically, the reasoning behind it is that anyone who is near fluent in the language of their choice isn't allowed to do it because it gives them too unfair an advantage, whilst also making course allocation a hell for time-tabling. Basically, UCL has had far too many Scandinavians coming over and getting an easy degree by doing Scandinavian Studies and majoring in their native language.

For students who have somewhere between beginner and intermediate knowledge of the language, the position is somewhat less of an issue. They do allow you to do the language, you just have to skip it in first year, or take another language course to cover it. For example, we had a guy who wanted to do Danish but knew some so he did Icelandic instead. If your language skills are intermediate to expert, that's when you're no longer allowed to do it.
Heya!

I'm applying for UCL and Edinburgh Norwegian 2010! I have self taught myself Norwegian for the last 3 years and spent some time there. I am really excited about the course although I am not sure I will get in. I kinda mucked up my A Levels and got BCC due to a pretty horrendous divorce. Parents! Spent sometime away from school much to my displeasure.

I was wondering if there's anything I can do about this? Or any help? Just some contact with another Scandy type would be great. I've read all of the Scandinavian pages and on the UCL and Edz website.

Ja, har dere det nå... Norsken min er ganske bra men jeg lærer hver dag. Norsk var litt vanskelig men er det lett å forstå, skrive og snakke!
Mumintroll
Yes, it's all too confusing sometimes! Grammar. But I doubt my help was actually that helpful, as it's probably wrong.
But as for 'kan jeg hjelpe' deg verses 'Hjelp', well, I guess that's the same as Swedish 'Kan jag hjälpa dig?' verses 'Hjälp'. After 'kan' it's always the infinitive in Swedish, so presumably also in Norwegian. Shouting 'Hjälp!' is always a good time for the imperative. I'm not usually this grammatically enlightened, unfortunately.

So are you applying to UCL for Scan Studies?

Hei Mumintroll,

Har ikke chattet med for lenge siden. husket vi chatte om Kent og andre band i Sværige og Norge. Er alt bra med deg? Er du forstette universitet eller noe?
Reply 584
Coloringwiththerainbow
Heya!

I'm applying for UCL and Edinburgh Norwegian 2010! I have self taught myself Norwegian for the last 3 years and spent some time there. I am really excited about the course although I am not sure I will get in. I kinda mucked up my A Levels and got BCC due to a pretty horrendous divorce. Parents! Spent sometime away from school much to my displeasure.

I was wondering if there's anything I can do about this? Or any help? Just some contact with another Scandy type would be great. I've read all of the Scandinavian pages and on the UCL and Edz website.

Ja, har dere det nå... Norsken min er ganske bra men jeg lærer hver dag. Norsk var litt vanskelig men er det lett å forstå, skrive og snakke!

Hej,
Re. your grades, is there any possibility you'll be resitting any modules? While from what I understand, the UCL scandy dept are more interested in your dedication to, and interest in the subject, being UCL they have to adhere to certain minimum standards, I think BBB is the usual base offer? I think Edinburgh are BBB also. Though I don't know how much they can/will take extenuating circumstances like your own into consideration, especially given the self teaching you've done.

For UCL I'd say try emailing the department administrator (Karin Charles) or possibly Annika, who deals with all the admissions stuff, explaining your situation, and asking what their advice would be. For Edinburgh, I know when I applied they dealt with all the admissions centrally and the scandy dept didn't have anything to do with it really, so I don't know who to contact there to ask for advice, nearlyheadlessian obviously knows more about Edinburgh than the rest of us!

Sadly (or not sadly, depending on how you look at it) there aren't too many Norwegians here (though there might be one or two others? My memory isn't wonderful), a bit Swedish dominated tbh. Not that that's a bad thing :biggrin:. Maybe it'll change soon!

C-
Coloringwiththerainbow
Hei Mumintroll,

Har ikke chattet med for lenge siden. husket vi chatte om Kent og andre band i Sværige og Norge. Er alt bra med deg? Er du forstette universitet eller noe?

Hejsan! Ja, det var inte igår. Och jag har inte loggat in till TSR i nästan ett år! Kul att du ska söka till UCL! Lycka till med det. Jag tror som Meg Lili att du borde ta kontakt med Annika Lindskog som ansvarar för antagning Scandinavian Studies. Det måste ha varit väldigt jobbigt med dina föräldrars skilsmässa. Särskilt om det hände under din A-levelsperiod. Tråkigt att höra. Det är ingen dålig ide att omtenta om du har chans. Vad ska du syssla med mellan nu och hösten 2010?

Ja, jag har nyss avslutat mitt första år UCL. Tentorna var ganska tuffa men jag tror (hoppas i alla fall) att de gick okej. Har ännu inte fått resultaten. Jag gillar UCL väldigt mycket, hoppas september kommer snart! Jag ska till Sverige om två veckor semester. :smile:

Och I just wanted to say something on applicants with a level of ability (i.e. non-beginners) in their chosen language. The Scandinavian Studies department has, newly during this academic year, introduced something called 'Pathway B' specifically to take into account such people. Basically, as others have said, you are given the option to take another unit during year 1 in place of the basic language course. This can also be done in place of year 2's intermediate language unit if your ability is sufficient to not need that as well. During these years, you could study another language or e.g. a history/culture/literature etc etc unit of your own choosing in another department. But, as Hylean says, if you are functionally fluent at mother tongue level, they are obviously not going to offer you a place - as that would be just silly and in some ways unfair to other students. In short though, they are prepared to show some flexibility.
Reply 586
Mumintroll
Hejsan! Ja, det var inte igår. Och jag har inte loggat in till TSR i nästan ett år! Kul att du ska söka till UCL! Lycka till med det. Jag tror som Meg Lili att du borde ta kontakt med Annika Lindskog som ansvarar för antagning Scandinavian Studies. Det måste ha varit väldigt jobbigt med dina föräldrars skilsmässa. Särskilt om det hände under din A-levelsperiod. Tråkigt att höra. Det är ingen dålig ide att omtenta om du har chans. Vad ska du syssla med mellan nu och hösten 2010?

Ja, jag har nyss avslutat mitt första år UCL. Tentorna var ganska tuffa men jag tror (hoppas i alla fall) att de gick okej. Har ännu inte fått resultaten. Jag gillar UCL väldigt mycket, hoppas september kommer snart! Jag ska till Sverige om två veckor semester. :smile:

Och I just wanted to say something on applicants with a level of ability (i.e. non-beginners) in their chosen language. The Scandinavian Studies department has, newly during this academic year, introduced something called 'Pathway B' specifically to take into account such people. Basically, as others have said, you are given the option to take another unit during year 1 in place of the basic language course. This can also be done in place of year 2's intermediate language unit if your ability is sufficient to not need that as well. During these years, you could study another language or e.g. a history/culture/literature etc etc unit of your own choosing in another department. But, as Hylean says, if you are functionally fluent at mother tongue level, they are obviously not going to offer you a place - as that would be just silly and in some ways unfair to other students. In short though, they are prepared to show some flexibility.

New my ass. That Pathway B **** is just a repackaged system that was already in place. All they've done is allowed some flexibility. If you were too good for beginners, they stuck you in Intermediate and in second year you did the translation module instead. They've just brought the system in line with the other language departments now. Pssssh, liars they all are. Except Daisy, for she is luff and truffles. :love:
Hylean
New my ass. That Pathway B **** is just a repackaged system that was already in place. All they've done is allowed some flexibility. If you were too good for beginners, they stuck you in Intermediate and in second year you did the translation module instead. They've just brought the system in line with the other language departments now. Pssssh, liars they all are. Except Daisy, for she is luff and truffles. :love:

Yeah, true enough. They've just stuck a fancy label on it with a nice name. It is new in the sense that it lets them off from even attempting to rejig the timetable in order to allow people to sit in on the intermediate unit... To be honest, I think it's quite a good plan, it's quite nice to have the freedom to be able take a free choice and personally I wouldn't have wished to take intermediate language in year 1 as then I probably would have had no language in year 2, i.e. none immediately before the year abroad.
Reply 588
Mumintroll
Yeah, true enough. They've just stuck a fancy label on it with a nice name. It is new in the sense that it lets them off from even attempting to rejig the timetable in order to allow people to sit in on the intermediate unit... To be honest, I think it's quite a good plan, it's quite nice to have the freedom to be able take a free choice and personally I wouldn't have wished to take intermediate language in year 1 as then I probably would have had no language in year 2, i.e. none immediately before the year abroad.

Nyah, you'd've managed. You're a manly man of manly proportions, despite your trick knee.
Meg_Lili
Hej,
Re. your grades, is there any possibility you'll be resitting any modules? While from what I understand, the UCL scandy dept are more interested in your dedication to, and interest in the subject, being UCL they have to adhere to certain minimum standards, I think BBB is the usual base offer? I think Edinburgh are BBB also. Though I don't know how much they can/will take extenuating circumstances like your own into consideration, especially given the self teaching you've done.

For UCL I'd say try emailing the department administrator (Karin Charles) or possibly Annika, who deals with all the admissions stuff, explaining your situation, and asking what their advice would be. For Edinburgh, I know when I applied they dealt with all the admissions centrally and the scandy dept didn't have anything to do with it really, so I don't know who to contact there to ask for advice, nearlyheadlessian obviously knows more about Edinburgh than the rest of us!

Sadly (or not sadly, depending on how you look at it) there aren't too many Norwegians here (though there might be one or two others? My memory isn't wonderful), a bit Swedish dominated tbh. Not that that's a bad thing :biggrin:. Maybe it'll change soon!

C-

Meg_Lili,

Thanks! That's really helpful stuff. I have done resits this year so am anxiously awaiting the results. A killer until August. In the meantime I can only work and bite my nails!

I'll talk to someone and see what I can get done about the whole explaining it all situation. Hopefully something will come of it. Annika was very friendly on the open day last year, although she probably won't remember me.

Has anyone ever been to Tromsø here? I am back in Norway this August and want to do some touring. See what other parts of the country are like. Would anyone recommend going anywhere really beautiful or typisk norsk?

Takk mye Meg_Lili.

Hvordan kan jeg "rep" deg for det?
Mumintroll

Ikke jeg heller! Har vært sååå opptatt at jeg kan ikke tro det. Uansett, skal snakke litt med Annika Lindskog for å se hva jeg kan gjøre om dette problemet. God idé tror jæ. Øhm, mellom og Høst 2010 skal jeg jobbe litt. Jeg har fått meg en ny jobb i en høyskole går det bra for meg akkurat nå. Pengene er god og det er mange svenskemenn å chatte til der.

Lykke til med resultene dine og håper du får hva du ønsker! :smile: Det høres bra ut at du skal til Sverige om to uker! bra? Hvilken del av Sverige skal du til? Jeg er misunelig at du går UCL akkurat nå! Ntåå! Dammit.
I keep telling myself that i shouldn't try to learn some Norwegian now, and that if i really want to i can at UCL. Maybe im just lazy, whatever, i really should push myself. :redface:
Samual
I keep telling myself that i shouldn't try to learn some Norwegian now, and that if i really want to i can at UCL. Maybe im just lazy, whatever, i really should push myself.

I just read your profile! It's great! Kan du norsk eller?
Reply 593
Coloringwiththerainbow
Meg_Lili,

Thanks! That's really helpful stuff. I have done resits this year so am anxiously awaiting the results. A killer until August. In the meantime I can only work and bite my nails!

I'll talk to someone and see what I can get done about the whole explaining it all situation. Hopefully something will come of it. Annika was very friendly on the open day last year, although she probably won't remember me.

Has anyone ever been to Tromsø here? I am back in Norway this August and want to do some touring. See what other parts of the country are like. Would anyone recommend going anywhere really beautiful or typisk norsk?

Takk mye Meg_Lili.

Hvordan kan jeg "rep" deg for det?

Ah, well good luck with the results then, I'm sure you'll have done fine. The wait is a complete bitch though! (Nevermind, at least at Uni the wait for results only tends to be a month or so!)

And you're welcome :smile: Not like I have much else to do with my time at the moment! Apart from find out that I can understand Norwegian seemingly, which is cool!
Sadly I've only been to Oslo, so can't really reccommend anything to see in Norway, aside from the typical tourist stuff.

Jag tror att rep/neg är de små thumbs up/thumbs down at the top of posts?

C-
Coloringwiththerainbow
I just read your profile! It's great! Kan du norsk eller?

Mmm not entirely sure what that means, can you norwegian... something? :redface: :redface: :redface:

Ill assume you asked if i speak it, nop i dont!
Reply 595
In swedish you can say 'Jag kan svenska'/'Kan du svenska?', and just miss out the 'tala' (Jag kan tala svenska), so I'd assume Norwegian is the same. And eller is 'or' in Swedish, probably similar in Norwegian (also/too?).

C-
Samual
Mmm not entirely sure what that means, can you norwegian... something? :redface: :redface: :redface:

Ill assume you asked if i speak it, nop i dont!

Ah, just the saw ol' Norwegian flag waving up there and thought you spoke Norwegian. Yeah, like Meg_Lili pointed out, Kan du/Can you and then norsk which is Norwegian. It's common to miss out the verb like snakke/speak in Norwegian.

No worries though, did you want to learn or?
Meg_Lili
In swedish you can say 'Jag kan svenska'/'Kan du svenska?', and just miss out the 'tala' (Jag kan tala svenska), so I'd assume Norwegian is the same. And eller is 'or' in Swedish, probably similar in Norwegian (also/too?).

C-

Norsken din er bra! Jeg kan snakke norsk is similar isn't it, as is eller which is, you're right, "or". Loooads of similaries, it's brilliant.
Apart from Swedish pronounciation and dialects, they're a bit weird :wink:
Coloringwiththerainbow
Ah, just the saw ol' Norwegian flag waving up there and thought you spoke Norwegian. Yeah, like Meg_Lili pointed out, Kan du/Can you and then norsk which is Norwegian. It's common to miss out the verb like snakke/speak in Norwegian.

No worries though, did you want to learn or?

Oooh i see! *takes note*

Well yes i do want to learn, but iv never been to Norway or Scandinavia so im beginning to doubt myself. Now that i think about it, i have absolutely no idea why or how i got interested in Norway. It sometimes feels as though its just a fad (albeit quite a long one) and it'll pass in time. :frown:
Reply 599
Coloringwiththerainbow
Norsken din er bra! Jeg kan snakke norsk is similar isn't it, as is eller which is, you're right, "or". Loooads of similaries, it's brilliant.
Apart from Swedish pronounciation and dialects, they're a bit weird :wink:

Haha, tack! Ja, it's just snakke - tala/prata that are different really. It's nice being able to understand some of a language I've never learnt :smile:
And pft, at least Swedish pronunciation is far better than Danish, the written forms of the words bear some ressemblance to the spoken forms in Swedish!

C-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending