The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scandinavian Studies

Scroll to see replies

Meg_Lili
We share a building with the german dept, so the sign was meant to designate that originally, then someone decided to write a 'V.s' in the middle. Dunno if twas a Scandy or a German, probably a Scandy, given the Germans have no sense of humour.

C-

Heeeeeeeeey!

You're right though. BUT STILL!

I went to UCL for the German and the Scan Stud talks (my friend wants to do German) and I went out HATING the German man. Everyone we spoke to afterwards agreed he was a huge idiot.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 781
barefootfiona
Heeeeeeeeey!

You're right though. BUT STILL!

I went to UCL for the German and the Scan Stud talks (my friend wants to do German) and I went out HATING the German man. Everyone we spoke to afterwards agreed he was a huge idiot.

Ick, that's not so great, what was wrong with him? (Though this just shows even more that the Scandy dept is far superior to the German dept, almost all the staff in Scandiland are lovely) Who did you have doing the Scandy bit of the talk?

C-
barefootfiona
I went out HATING the German man. Everyone we spoke to afterwards agreed he was a huge idiot.

Actually he grew on me, eventually! I thought he was irritating and conceited to begin with, but then I decided to go along with it and he wasn't so bad if you just listened to him with an ever-so-slightly condescending air, ever-so-slightly feeling like you were humouring him. :p:

meg_lili
Who did you have doing the Scandy bit of the talk?

A Swedish lady called Anneka, and an English man who got very excited about Vikings and Old Norse whose name I have forgotten. I thought he was annoyingly hyper too, to start, but then he made a joke about herrings and I decided he was just pure brilliant. :biggrin:
Reply 783
ticktockharlequin
A Swedish lady called Anneka, and an English man who got very excited about Vikings and Old Norse whose name I have forgotten. I thought he was annoyingly hyper too, to start, but then he made a joke about herrings and I decided he was just pure brilliant. :biggrin:

Oooh, you got Annika (the Swedish teacher) and Chris (Teaches Old Norse and various lit things) they're both lovely :smile: Chris once spent a good half of our Old Norse class showing a powerpoint he'd made involving various images of seals crossed with human features (a seal with body builder's arms, another with human eyes etc.) to demonstrate how evil seals actually were =D

C-
Yeah Chris was cool, but the German guy was a ******. I can't get over him at all. What a walking penis. Still, at least he wasn't actually German. Just a tit.

And he instills in me a need to swear which I usually suppress quite excellently.
:biggrin:
i'd like to study german & swedish at ucl :wink:
Reply 786
Yea well, I'm the God of the Department on this here message board and I say we all worship Chris as he is luff and waffles.
Reply 787
heirofslytherin
:biggrin:
i'd like to study german & swedish at ucl :wink:

Yay another potential Scandy! =) Are you applying this cycle?

Hylean
Yea well, I'm the God of the Department on this here message board and I say we all worship Chris as he is luff and waffles.

Delusions of grandeur strike again...

C-
yeah, i do :biggrin:
i' d start in 2010
It must be some sort of sign that Dr Alison Stibbe works at my local college! I emailed her awhile back, she offered me some Norwegian books and i foolishly declined. Damn damn double damn. :frown:
Reply 790
heirofslytherin
yeah, i do :biggrin:
i' d start in 2010

Awesome stuffs :smile: So why Swedish/Scandy studies in general? (sorry if you hate being asked that question, I know I do, but thought I should ask anyway out of curiosity)

C-
well, first of all, i'm keen on learning foreign languages, i'm also interested in linguistics.
i'm especially attracted by the north of Europe - Scandinavia, Finnland and British Isles (you see, i'm not from uk)
i ' ve never been to sweden but it is so charming for me- its landscapes, culture, history :wink:
these studies would be fascinating <dreamer>
Ah, sort of on topic: when people ask you 'why on earth Scandinavia? why study Norwegian?', what do you say? Because the truth of it is, I fancied a Norwegian boy when I was about 11, and I got over fancying him but I never got over fancying Norway. Which is really not a very good explanation, and nor is it one I'd be willing to give in interview. :p:

I told a new teacher that story today, actually, to see how it would go down with a stranger (because most of my friends remember me aged 11 and don't need to ask), and it went down like something really really heavy falling really really fast out the sky... :s-smilie:

Anyway! When people ask you in all seriousness why the subject, what do you usually tell them? I'm very curious.
Reply 793
I'm back!
I haven't been here for a while:smile:

I'm still going for Italian and Swedish, and ticktockharlequin, I've told people I want to do it because of the Scandinavian languages being studied by very few people, so it'd be quite a unique thing in comparison to other language degrees. Also because the history and culture are very interesting. Obviously it goes into more detail in my PS.

And Sweden makes some ace ciders, and I'm quite partial to a few Swedish bands!
Reply 794
heirofslytherin
well, first of all, i'm keen on learning foreign languages, i'm also interested in linguistics.
i'm especially attracted by the north of Europe - Scandinavia, Finnland and British Isles (you see, i'm not from uk)
i ' ve never been to sweden but it is so charming for me- its landscapes, culture, history :wink:
these studies would be fascinating <dreamer>

That's cool =) Where do you come from, if you don't mind me asking?

PJ1991
And Sweden makes some ace ciders, and I'm quite partial to a few Swedish bands!

Haha, that's a great reason =D Next time someone asks me 'Why Scandy Studies/Swedish?' my reply is going to be 'Kopparberg, Kent and ABBA (Of the musical, rather than fish variety)'.

C-
Reply 795
Meg_Lili
That's cool =) Where do you come from, if you don't mind me asking?

Haha, that's a great reason =D Next time someone asks me 'Why Scandy Studies/Swedish?' my reply is going to be 'Kopparberg, Kent and ABBA (Of the musical, rather than fish variety)'.

C-

Definately Kopparberg, and I got some Rekorderlig cider from the supermarket a few days ago (Strawberry and Lime). It was very nice, though a bit expensive (£2. Apple and Pear flavours are only £1 though)

I was thinking The Hives and The Cardigans (and A Camp) as well, although I keep my liking of The Cardigans on the down low :ninja:
i'm from poland
personally, i don't like ciders - they taste like diluted wine :P
Reply 797
PJ991
definitely Kopparberg, and I got some Rekorderlig cider from the supermarket a few days ago (Strawberry and Lime). It was very nice, though a bit expensive (£2. Apple and Pear flavours are only £1 though)

I was thinking The Hives and The Cardigans (and A Camp) as well, although I keep my liking of The Cardigans on the down low :ninja:

Oo, I think I have a bottle of Rekorderlig in the larder actually (my mother having taken to buying anything that says 'Swedish' on it). Shall have to try it sometime. But yes, Kopparberg is good stuff (I only actually realised what the name meant a few weeks back, then I felt a bit thick given how simple it was). I had some Peach Kopparberg in Finland, so nice, shame they don't sell it here :frown:

heirofslytherin
i'm from poland
personally, i don't like ciders - they taste like diluted wine :P

Oo, there are 2 poles in my year =) Neither of them doing Swedish though. And cider (Kopparberg especially) is good to drink and just end up on a sugar-high rather than drunk. Whereas too much wine never ends well....

C-
Meg_Lili

Oo, there are 2 poles in my year =) Neither of them doing Swedish though.
C-

so what are they doing ?
Reply 799
heirofslytherin
so what are they doing ?

One is doing BA Scandinavian Studies with Danish as her language (she sometimes posts here) and the other BA Icelandic.

C-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending