Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Cause it arouses me.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1181
jontylol
Sunderland IS grim, hence i want to get out of there as quickly as possible :smile:

And also, say you have the degree, its on your cv, a business looks at it, thinks "whats scandinavian studies?" and *throws cv to one side*. Is it known as a respected degree by people who know about these things? Rather than saying to another person "scandinavian studies" and getting the "Uhh, wots tha?" thing.

they will see its from UCL though, so I'm sure that'll make them realise it isn't just some made up degree that isn't respected.
That well known country of Scandinavia...

jontylol
Sunderland IS grim, hence i want to get out of there as quickly as possible :smile:

And also, say you have the degree, its on your cv, a business looks at it, thinks "whats scandinavian studies?" and *throws cv to one side*. Is it known as a respected degree by people who know about these things? Rather than saying to another person "scandinavian studies" and getting the "Uhh, wots tha?" thing.

Hehe, don't blame you. I've only spent holidays there and I wanted to get out.

And like Hylean said, the uniqueness helps make you more memorable when they're looking through piles of CV's, and the UCL name helps too...
You could specify on your CV too, which language you did, which could help.
Netto
More original than "Ikea", granted. 6/10.
Clas Ohlson
Hello everybody! Sorry to keep bothering everybdoy like this, but I have two questions, neither of which are directly related to Scandinavian Studies, which this thread is, er, actually about...

1) really for Hylean, but anybody who's been to Iceland... how good/bad/safe of an idea is it to have cash on me while I'm in Iceland? I don't have a credit card, and I've budgeted about 40,000ISK (approx £210) for my food and expenditure/sight-seeing for my time there. I'll be staying in Reykjavik City Hostel. I know it's not very safe anyway, but it's not an ENORMOUS amount of money... anyway, just wondering. Also, is Reykjavik a pick-pockety city? Thanks.

2) Can you think of any things of groups or societies I could join to keep up my... shall we say interactions with Scandinavia? I've sent off applications to the Anglo-Norse Society and the Viking Society for Northern Research, but any suggestions welcome. I'm not letting go of Scandinavia! Looking for things where I might be able to attend a couple of talks/lectures really...

Other than that, HOPE EVERYONE'S WELL and all that. I'm looking forward to Oslovision on Saturday. Wish I could be there. *sigh*
Reply 1187
barefootfiona
Hello everybody! Sorry to keep bothering everybdoy like this, but I have two questions, neither of which are directly related to Scandinavian Studies, which this thread is, er, actually about...

1) really for Hylean, but anybody who's been to Iceland... how good/bad/safe of an idea is it to have cash on me while I'm in Iceland? I don't have a credit card, and I've budgeted about 40,000ISK (approx £210) for my food and expenditure/sight-seeing for my time there. I'll be staying in Reykjavik City Hostel. I know it's not very safe anyway, but it's not an ENORMOUS amount of money... anyway, just wondering. Also, is Reykjavik a pick-pockety city? Thanks.

Reykjavík has a rather small amount of crime. There are thieves about, but for the most part, it's rather safe. If you keep a vague eye on your belongings, you should be safe.
Reply 1188
barefootfiona
2) Can you think of any things of groups or societies I could join to keep up my... shall we say interactions with Scandinavia? I've sent off applications to the Anglo-Norse Society and the Viking Society for Northern Research, but any suggestions welcome. I'm not letting go of Scandinavia! Looking for things where I might be able to attend a couple of talks/lectures really...

There's a list here, you might find it useful. :smile:
Reading through this thread is making me so excited .. I wish I would finally hear something from them :woo:
Is anybody going on their year abroad next year?
Yup.
Reply 1192
Freedom For The Jews!
Shh.
Reply 1194
Freedom From Meg_lili!
Nice, you're going to Finland right? Do you reckon you'll get to travel much whilst you are there?
Yup, to Åbo. Hopefully I'll get some travelling in. I want to go to Lapland at some point, and visit people in Sweden. Maybe revisit a few other places I've been and see some new ones. Just hoping it's cooled down a bit by the time I get to Åbo. It's bloody boiling in Finland right now. Travelling is no fun.
Reply 1197
Freedom From Heat And Smelly Jelly!
Smelly Jelly?
Reply 1199
First off, may I point out that the words are meant to be fully capitalised, but the formatting of the website stops that if all the words have been capitalised. Why are you asking me to explain myself after all thos years of knowing me?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending