The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scandinavian Studies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hylean
Haha, Rony, you've certainly had an interesting experience here in Iceland this past year if you think that. I wouldn't say any of them is more stuck up than the others. What have you been doing? I never see you at the uni or anything.

Claire's also a ****ing idiot who's destroying the department. Just my take on her, I might add, unaffiliated to the department, UCL or HÍ.

Edinburgh, whilst an amazing university, is also constantly beaten by UCL in any league table, so I've no idea where you got the idea that Edinburgh is "academically a higher achiever". I wouldn't dare suggest UCL was better academically, despite what the league tables want to say. Neither would I say Edinburgh is genteel or anything like that. UCL is exceptionally class ridden, it's ridiculous. Edinburgh also has a high ratio of international students, as most universities do.

Not often I agree with this guy, but yeah, I agree with him on everything here.

I am not sure I can comment on individual teachers especially because I appear to be a common household name here with my identity well-known. Perhaps I ought to resign up with a different pseudo-this one kind of gives it away. I do not know how things have changed after the change of heads at the department because I also took a year out in between year abroad. Ok I know many see UCL as elitist but I somewhat thought Edinburgh was much more so. It is quite possible that it is the other way round. The guy you agree with is not right however, he needs to check with his University and I am pretty sure they will confirm that Tom Lundskaer -Nielsen is a well known academic at Edinburgh through his time there -teaching. He is based at UCL which apparently has the largest numbers of profs of any UK uni, and it would make sense that they go round-otherwise it would be unfair on others- We had a Cambridge lecturer-teacher, teaching us in our first year certainly, so it is quite normal and a good thing. Of course he may be right about other aspects of Edinburgh.. I am not sure where all UCL people have hidden themselves either but I suppose, as they say quote 'Nordic Noir', you can literally 'disappear in Iceland'..shame because the year has almost come to an end.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by ronisherr
I am not sure I can comment on individual teachers especially because I appear to be a common household name here with my identity well-known. Perhaps I ought to resign up with a different pseudo-this one kind of gives it away. I do not know how things have changed after the change of heads at the department because I also took a year out in between year abroad. Ok I know many see UCL as elitist but I somewhat thought Edinburgh was much more so. It is quite possible that it is the other way round. The guy you agree with is not right however, he needs to check with his University and I am pretty sure they will confirm that Tom Lundskaer -Nielsen is a well known academic at Edinburgh through his time there -teaching. He is based at UCL which apparently has the largest numbers of profs of any UK uni, and it would make sense that they go round-otherwise it would be unfair on others- We had a Cambridge lecturer-teacher, teaching us in our first year certainly, so it is quite normal and a good thing. Of course he may be right about other aspects of Edinburgh.. I am not sure where all UCL people have hidden themselves either but I suppose, as they say quote 'Nordic Noir', you can literally 'disappear in Iceland'..shame because the year has almost come to an end.

Tom Lundskaer Nielsen doesn't appear to have ever worked in Edinburgh - not according to Edinburgh and not according to his own staff profile on the UCL website. However, most of what you say here is little more than incoherent nonsense - universities pass around teachers so it's "fair for everyone" - what mad world do you live in?
Hey!

Anyone for Scandinavian Studies 2011 around?
Original post by catsss
Hi, just wanted to say that I had my skype (!) interview yesterday, at 7 in the morning with Claire Thomson. It went pretty well, not fantastic but I think a bit better than okay. She said she would be recommending me for an offer! So I was quite pleased by that. She asked a couple of questions about literature I wasn't expecting, but I was able to give adequate replies so it was fine.

And while I might be jumping the gun, I guess it's now up to me to choose between Edinburgh and UCL. Can any of you give your opinions?

Have you decided yet? :smile:
Reply 1584
Original post by tussmorke
Have you decided yet? :smile:

Hi all, sorry it took me so long to reply. For some reason I kept putting it off, but yes! I have decided to go with Edinburgh.

It was based on my impressions when I visited the two cities. Unfortunately, due to poor weather and a 9 hour train ride with lots of coldfeet and no heating but lovely snow to look at, I wasn't able to see UCL before I had to return to Texas. I was unable to get a good feel of the university and city, whereas I loved Edinburgh and the University. I realize that UCL is ranked higher on charts etc etc, but I'd rather be sure (as sure as I can be) that I'll be happy studying.

And yes, I did turn down Berkeley. It's more expensive, and I'd basically already decided on attending university in the UK by the time they accepted me. Additionally, I had no real desire to live there, as beautiful as it is. Maybe for grad school or something, I'll see when I get there.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement! :h: I'm very excited for next yearrr fdjisoa;jgkfsidoj;f, also now I don't have to worry about exams at all.
What careers can you have after completing the degree?
Original post by catsss
Hi all, sorry it took me so long to reply. For some reason I kept putting it off, but yes! I have decided to go with Edinburgh.

Congratulations :smile:

I am also going to Edinburgh, well as long as I meet the conditions of my offer. What is your chosen language? I am planning to take Swedish.
Original post by pippa90
What careers can you have after completing the degree?

Take a look two pages back at page 78, starting from post 1547.
Reply 1588
Original post by Arch Enemy
Congratulations :smile:

I am also going to Edinburgh, well as long as I meet the conditions of my offer. What is your chosen language? I am planning to take Swedish.

How wonderful! I'll be taking Norwegian.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Take a look two pages back at page 78, starting from post 1547.

Ahh okay, so Scandinavian Studies is about the history, geography and languages of Scandinavia?
Original post by pippa90
Ahh okay, so Scandinavian Studies is about the history, geography and languages of Scandinavia?

Well yeah, loosely speaking. The point is there aren't specific careers the degree leads to like most areas of study in the arts and humanities, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't help.
Original post by pippa90

It's a modern languages degree, like any other. Just the 3 different languages are grouped together under the same degree programme title to make it more viable to the university.
Well yeah, loosely speaking. The point is there aren't specific careers the degree leads to like most areas of study in the arts and humanities, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't help.

Unrelated, but I saw in the ML forum that you're doing the Translation Masters at Ed. next year, can I be nosy and ask why you chose Edinburgh? (Trying to sort my own life out post-next year)
Original post by Meg_Lili
Unrelated, but I saw in the ML forum that you're doing the Translation Masters at Ed. next year, can I be nosy and ask why you chose Edinburgh? (Trying to sort my own life out post-next year)

Heh, well if I do do it (still not 100% - but I needed to make clear in that thread with that joker that I wasn't just some chancer, I did have some understanding of the issue) I'll probably stay here yes. I haven't had a response from UCL or Surrey yet - so they're not officially in the picture. While there is almost zero funding for these courses, my best options for applying for money lie in Edinburgh. The cost of the course is a little less than UCL and I don't have to live in London to do it. While it might be healthy to go elsewhere, I happen to like the department I'm in and reasonably like the university as a whole. It seems to be a strongish course in Edinburgh. The prospect of a two year masters in Sweden was a little much - I'd like to think that I'm slightly above the level of a Swede who's just finished a 3 year programme and wants to be a translator (me being a snob). Equally, while there were parts of my year abroad I like, and I love Sweden, the prospect of 2 more years of study there isn't overwhelming me with you. A bunch of muddled up reasons there for Edinburgh as you can see. I'm not totally convinced I'll go ahead - have to see how I feel about the money aspect ... but yeah. I see it as bankable qualification that will always be useful, even if I go on to do other stuff.
Heh, well if I do do it (still not 100% - but I needed to make clear in that thread with that joker that I wasn't just some chancer, I did have some understanding of the issue) I'll probably stay here yes. I haven't had a response from UCL or Surrey yet - so they're not officially in the picture. While there is almost zero funding for these courses, my best options for applying for money lie in Edinburgh. The cost of the course is a little less than UCL and I don't have to live in London to do it. While it might be healthy to go elsewhere, I happen to like the department I'm in and reasonably like the university as a whole. It seems to be a strongish course in Edinburgh. The prospect of a two year masters in Sweden was a little much - I'd like to think that I'm slightly above the level of a Swede who's just finished a 3 year programme and wants to be a translator (me being a snob). Equally, while there were parts of my year abroad I like, and I love Sweden, the prospect of 2 more years of study there isn't overwhelming me with you. A bunch of muddled up reasons there for Edinburgh as you can see. I'm not totally convinced I'll go ahead - have to see how I feel about the money aspect ... but yeah. I see it as bankable qualification that will always be useful, even if I go on to do other stuff.

No no, it was helpful, thank you =)
I'm thinking of going down that route, though U of Surrey is completely out of the question for me - I have no intention of studying less than 10 miles from where my parents live. So it's UCL or Edinburgh - I like UCL, like the dept, the modules looked good (at least last time I checked), but then there's always the idea, like you said, that going somewhere new might be good, and Edinburgh is obv a good uni. But then Sweden is still new(ish) and shiny for me - I know I wouldn't want to come back and study in Finland again, but I've not lived or studied in Sweden before, and it would help to continue to make my Swedish better. Hmm. Should really get back to the more pressing issue of my essay though.

It's a modern languages degree, like any other. Just the 3 different languages are grouped together under the same degree programme title to make it more viable to the university.

I get it now :smile: Have seen it a few times in threads and wondered what it was all about :tongue:
Original post by catsss

It was based on my impressions when I visited the two cities. Unfortunately, due to poor weather and a 9 hour train ride with lots of coldfeet and no heating but lovely snow to look at, I wasn't able to see UCL before I had to return to Texas. I was unable to get a good feel of the university and city, whereas I loved Edinburgh and the University. I realize that UCL is ranked higher on charts etc etc, but I'd rather be sure (as sure as I can be) that I'll be happy studying.

And yes, I did turn down Berkeley. It's more expensive, and I'd basically already decided on attending university in the UK by the time they accepted me. Additionally, I had no real desire to live there, as beautiful as it is. Maybe for grad school or something, I'll see when I get there.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement! :h: I'm very excited for next yearrr fdjisoa;jgkfsidoj;f, also now I don't have to worry about exams at all.

Ah! Congratulations! I only applied for Scandinavian Studies at UCL so I got a conditional offer from them.

I've read you'll be taking Norwegian as main? So will I. Have you ever been to Norway? :smile:
It's currently snowing fairly heavily in Stockholm. I was out having a picnic in the sun in Åbo on Sunday =(
Just thought I'd share that, since this thread has gone a bit dead.
It's currently snowing fairly heavily in Stockholm. I was out having a picnic in the sun in Åbo on Sunday =(
Just thought I'd share that, since this thread has gone a bit dead.

Madness. A year ago I got back to Uppsala from Edinburgh, having been in general spring greyness in Edinburgh to find Uppsala basking in 25 degree sunshine. I love northern Europe.
Speaking of Stockholm... I am going on the summer course in Västernorrland but my flight to the capital arrives a day earlier. Can anybody recommend an affordable hotel close to Centralen? I'll only be needing it for a day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending