The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scandinavian Studies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nearlyheadlessian
I've taken the course in Norwegian - it was good overview of the language, but obviously being taught from a Swedish speakers perspective. Have also taken the corresponding course in Danish. I believe they occasionally run courses called Norwegian/Danish 2 as sequels, as well as courses specifically on Norwegian/Danish literature.

Aha cool. Can imagine it would be interesting.

Anecdotally, I guess we could also point to the success of the Norwegian chat show host (Fredrik) Skavlan and his programme of the same name, who these days presents half the series from Stockholm and the other half from Oslo, interviewing guests from Sweden, Norway and elsewhere in multiple languages in the same programme (well, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish on occasion, and English).
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Mumintroll
Aha cool. Can imagine it would be interesting.

Anecdotally, I guess we could also point to the success of the Norwegian chat show host (Fredrik) Skavlan and his programme of the same name, who these days presents half the series from Stockholm and the other half from Oslo, interviewing guests from Sweden, Norway and elsewhere in multiple languages in the same programme (well, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish on occasion, and English).

Oh Skavlan. That show is pretty surreal.
I think it's good though, he always gets amazing guests. I remember watching him in his earlier incarnation (when it was only based in Norway, but shown on Swedish tv when I lived there - think it was called Först och sist) and wondering how on earth NRK managed to convince some of the people he managed to get interviews with to come and do some random (for them) Norwegian talk show in this little, far off land. His interview with Breivik's solicitor a couple of weeks ago was gripping. But yes, I suppose a little surreal with people like Benny Andersson(who was a fellow guest on the same edition) sitting watching. But, I do think he is in the Parkinson league of chat shows. Very skilful at getting people to talk. Much better than crappy programmes like Jonathan Ross any day!
I think it's good though, he always gets amazing guests. I remember watching him in his earlier incarnation (when it was only based in Norway, but shown on Swedish tv when I lived there - think it was called Först och sist) and wondering how on earth NRK managed to convince some of the people he managed to get interviews with to come and do some random (for them) Norwegian talk show in this little, far off land. His interview with Breivik's solicitor a couple of weeks ago was gripping. But yes, I suppose a little surreal with people like Benny Andersson(who was a fellow guest on the same edition) sitting watching. But, I do think he is in the Parkinson league of chat shows. Very skilful at getting people to talk. Much better than crappy programmes like Jonathan Ross any day!

I just looked him up. That's one... varied show. I like that there are subtitles though! I prefer it when subtitles aren't in English. If I'm watching something in a foreign language with English subtitles I just can't concentrate on the spoken language at all.
Hi all,
I posted on this forum a while back about my application for Scandinavian studies with Management. It is my dream course as I really want to learn Norwegian and is unique in England being able to combine that with management. As the other courses I would be applying to via UCAS were all management only I didn't know what to do about my PS. I got really helpful replies on the forum suggesting I call and explain my situation which I did. They were friendly and said I could email them something explaining my interest in Scandy when I had applied through UCAS which I duly did.
First I got an email asking if my Scandinavian study attachment was my UCAS PS. I replied no but just explanation of why I was applying to this unique course as we had discussed. Imagine my horror when I get a curt reply accusing me of trying to gain an unfair advantage over other applicants and refusing to consider my attachment.
My questions are does this mean I am unlikely to get an interview as they will only see my management only PS? My reference was written by my high school French teacher and he said he had included lots of language stuff in it. I already have 3 of the 5 Canadian grades they ask for including the English and French requirements but fear this will not help if they dismiss me because of my PS. I would have written a combined one had I not been told that I could send something separately when I called them direct.
Is there anything I could or should be doing about this now? I am feeling pretty upset as this was my number one choice. Any advice or words of comfort gratefully received.
Thanks for reading
Mari-Ann
Reply 1705
Original post by mariann013
Hi all,
I posted on this forum a while back about my application for Scandinavian studies with Management. It is my dream course as I really want to learn Norwegian and is unique in England being able to combine that with management. As the other courses I would be applying to via UCAS were all management only I didn't know what to do about my PS. I got really helpful replies on the forum suggesting I call and explain my situation which I did. They were friendly and said I could email them something explaining my interest in Scandy when I had applied through UCAS which I duly did.
First I got an email asking if my Scandinavian study attachment was my UCAS PS. I replied no but just explanation of why I was applying to this unique course as we had discussed. Imagine my horror when I get a curt reply accusing me of trying to gain an unfair advantage over other applicants and refusing to consider my attachment.
My questions are does this mean I am unlikely to get an interview as they will only see my management only PS? My reference was written by my high school French teacher and he said he had included lots of language stuff in it. I already have 3 of the 5 Canadian grades they ask for including the English and French requirements but fear this will not help if they dismiss me because of my PS. I would have written a combined one had I not been told that I could send something separately when I called them direct.
Is there anything I could or should be doing about this now? I am feeling pretty upset as this was my number one choice. Any advice or words of comfort gratefully received.
Thanks for reading
Mari-Ann

First, I'd check who gave you the original information and who replied to your email. If the same person, something's up. If not, then I'd wait to see what happens. If you get rejected, I would email them and explain your situation again, with a copy of the emails saying you could send the extra letter and hope they aren lenient.

May I ask who it was that replied to you about refusing the attachment?
Gemma Barber sent the Emails. I thought it was her I spoke to unfortunately I can't find the notes I made and my Mum thought I told her it was someone called Amy. I was told that Karin would be happy to look at what I was going to send in.
Do these names mean anything to you or help explain what has happened ?
Reply 1707
Original post by mariann013
Gemma Barber sent the Emails. I thought it was her I spoke to unfortunately I can't find the notes I made and my Mum thought I told her it was someone called Amy. I was told that Karin would be happy to look at what I was going to send in.
Do these names mean anything to you or help explain what has happened ?

Karin does, she's the administrator, or something, for the Scandinavian department. The others, no. I left before the merger of all the language departments took place.

You'd best get looking for those notes, really, just incase you don't get accepted.
I am sure that Karin would definitely be. Unfortunately admissions are now handled centrally by the merged element of the equation, the so-called SELCS.
Reply 1709
I am sure that Karin would definitely be. Unfortunately admissions are now handled centrally by the merged element of the equation, the so-called SELCS.

Entire thing sounds dodgy to me. Is this the first intake under the new School?
Original post by Hylean
Entire thing sounds dodgy to me. Is this the first intake under the new School?

I couldn't possibly comment. But no, I don't think so. I think this year's intake were also via SELCS.
Reply 1711
I couldn't possibly comment. But no, I don't think so. I think this year's intake were also via SELCS.

Commenting is fun. Join me in grumping graduateness.

Also, fair enough.
Original post by Hylean
Commenting is fun. Join me in grumping graduateness.

Also, fair enough.

:biggrin: All in good time, all in good time. Except, I am doing my best to avoid grumpiness. I note you are now a Moderator on this esteemed website. How nice.

What I didn't say, is that I think it is extremely disappointing that they met mariann013 with an accusation that she is trying to gain an unfair advantage. That is ludicrous. I thought the whole idea of the application process was to find the right candidates for the course in question, it's not supposed to be some kind of test.
Reply 1713
:biggrin: All in good time, all in good time. Except, I am doing my best to avoid grumpiness. I note you are now a Moderator on this esteemed website. How nice.

What I didn't say, is that I think it is extremely disappointing that they met mariann013 with an accusation that she is trying to gain an unfair advantage. That is ludicrous. I thought the whole idea of the application process was to find the right candidates for the course in question, it's not supposed to be some kind of test.

Nyah, in fairness, I was in contact with Daisy at the time of the applications for my year and she told me I would have to stop emailing her (I was just asking general questions about the course, etc.) because it might look like I was trying to gain favour. They all have silly little rules they have to abide by to avoid just picking and choosing. I just think it's unfair she was told one thing and then rudely told another.

And yea, somehow I ended up as a moderator. :dontknow: Blatantly spend far too much time on this thing.
So how's it going for everyone who actually still studies Scandinavian Studies?

We had a visit from the writer Ola Larsmo to the department in Edinburgh during the week, which was pretty cool.

And I now know two people doing the Scandinavian Translation degree at UCL.
Hello :biggrin:

I am applying to do German and Scandinavian Studies at UCL this cycle and am really desperate to study Swedish! The course really does look great for me and I would love to go, however I'm a bit worried about the price of London!

I know it's infamously expensive, but have you coped so far? I know your fees are much cheaper, so obviously you can't comment too much, but the cost of living is the only thing deterring me! Is it anything to worry about? Does accommodation really cost that much?

One last question (am rambling a bit now, I realise)! As I am planning to do German and Swedish, I was wondering whether I would do fewer modules in Swedish language or Swedish culture/history than those doing Scandinavian Studies? If I'm lucky enough to get an offer(!), are language classes shared between those doing straight Scandinavian Studies and those who are doing half and half or not? I'd like to meet some more people, really!

Cheers for your time, your replies will help shape my decision ^^
Original post by AllesWirdGut

I am applying to do German and Scandinavian Studies at UCL this cycle and am really desperate to study Swedish! The course really does look great for me and I would love to go, however I'm a bit worried about the price of London!

I know it's infamously expensive, but have you coped so far? I know your fees are much cheaper, so obviously you can't comment too much, but the cost of living is the only thing deterring me! Is it anything to worry about? Does accommodation really cost that much?

One last question (am rambling a bit now, I realise)! As I am planning to do German and Swedish, I was wondering whether I would do fewer modules in Swedish language or Swedish culture/history than those doing Scandinavian Studies? If I'm lucky enough to get an offer(!), are language classes shared between those doing straight Scandinavian Studies and those who are doing half and half or not? I'd like to meet some more people, really!

Cheers for your time, your replies will help shape my decision ^^

Hej,

The only thing that's really more expensive is accommodation, but you manage. You get loans, grants and a UCL Bursary, and plenty of people work too to bring in a little more money.

Modules wise, there is only one Swedish class each year, it's the same class for people doing straight Scandy, Scandy + Other Stuff, Modern Langs, Lang & Cult, ESPS etc. Actually, it's the same for all courses within the dept. There's only one class for each, it's not separated by degree programme or anything like that.

You would only take 2 units worth each year in the Scandy dept. and 2 in German, as opposed to the 4 that people doing straight scandy take. You can see the programme diet for Modern Langs Swedish + Another Lang here. Though obv some courses change year-to-year, depending on which staff are around/on sabbatical.
Original post by Meg_Lili
Hej,

The only thing that's really more expensive is accommodation, but you manage. You get loans, grants and a UCL Bursary, and plenty of people work too to bring in a little more money.

Modules wise, there is only one Swedish class each year, it's the same class for people doing straight Scandy, Scandy + Other Stuff, Modern Langs, Lang & Cult, ESPS etc. Actually, it's the same for all courses within the dept. There's only one class for each, it's not separated by degree programme or anything like that.

You would only take 2 units worth each year in the Scandy dept. and 2 in German, as opposed to the 4 that people doing straight scandy take. You can see the programme diet for Modern Langs Swedish + Another Lang here. Though obv some courses change year-to-year, depending on which staff are around/on sabbatical.

Thankyou for your reply - my family are trying to put me off because London is so expensive, but I'd absolutely love to go - they keep telling me I'll have to live off cans of beans for 4 years :wink:. It's good to know that it doesn't affect you too much.

Aha, sounds great! Lots of different people and all that. I tried to email Karin Charles to ask about the different courses but I got no reply; it's great that somebody who's been on the course can tell me all these things: I feel a bit embarrassed - don't want to harrass all the staff before they've even looked at my application.

(and Finnish?! You sound brave -is it really as difficult as they say? Can you achieve a reasonable level of fluency in it? I was going to apply for straight Scandinavian Studies so I could give it a shot, but German seemed a little easier! :wink:)

Thanks for your quick reply - much appreciated :smile:
Thankyou for your reply - my family are trying to put me off because London is so expensive, but I'd absolutely love to go - they keep telling me I'll have to live off cans of beans for 4 years :wink:. It's good to know that it doesn't affect you too much.

Aha, sounds great! Lots of different people and all that. I tried to email Karin Charles to ask about the different courses but I got no reply; it's great that somebody who's been on the course can tell me all these things: I feel a bit embarrassed - don't want to harrass all the staff before they've even looked at my application.

(and Finnish?! You sound brave -is it really as difficult as they say? Can you achieve a reasonable level of fluency in it? I was going to apply for straight Scandinavian Studies so I could give it a shot, but German seemed a little easier! :wink:)

Thanks for your quick reply - much appreciated :smile:

It's managable, and really not as horrific as people make out, just look at how many students there are in London!

Karin's usually pretty good at replying, I guess she's just a bit overrun with stuff at the moment, but if you have any more questions I'm sure people here will answer as best we can.

Asch, Finnish is difficult, yes, but I find it a lot easier than languages like Old Norse, Faroese, Icelandic, which "only" have 4 cases. Maybe it's how they're taught or something. It's slower going than the likes of Swedish, largely just because the way Swedish works, and a lot of the vocab is so similar to English, whereas Finnish is so different, you have to think in a different way, it doesn't even have its own word for "to have", for example, you have to use some construction that means literally "on me there is". Once you adapt to that it gets easier.
(edited 12 years ago)

I was going to suggest that if you wanted to keep your options open on the Swedish front, you should consider Edinburgh and Aberdeen as well - but judging by your posts so far on tsr, you may already have sent your application?

Meg_Lili
You get loans, grants and a UCL Bursary

What's the bursary for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending