The Student Room Group

Cars

If you change the colour of your origional wheels does that change your insurance
Original post by Georgio123
If you change the colour of your origional wheels does that change your insurance

I have moved this to Cars & Motoring, you are more likely to get an answer here.
Reply 2
Original post by Rock Fan
I have moved this to Cars & Motoring, you are more likely to get an answer here.

Cheers
Reply 3

Yes, it likely will; it's a modification.

I'm guessing a modification is a modification, so *I think* you'll have to declare this with your insurance. But I'll just tag @IWMTom to make sure I'm right.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Yes, it likely will; it's a modification.

How come though as it’s stock wheels
Reply 6

So? You're changing the look of the vehicle - that is a modification, just the same as putting stickers on your car.

Two key words you used that correlate to why that is.

One of them was "change" and the other was "original."
Original post by IWMTom
So? You're changing the look of the vehicle - that is a modification, just the same as putting stickers on your car.

So when they get dirty, I should declare a modification because they changed colour from silver to dark grey?

Original post by nevershear
Two key words you used that correlate to why that is.

One of them was "change" and the other was "original."

The actual reason must rather be that the insurance companies are insane.
Or they are clever. They say you must report so insignificant changes so they earn more money because of things they'd probably never noticed on their own.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PTMalewski
So when they get dirty, I should declare a modification because they changed colour from silver to dark grey?

Don't be silly; we're talking about paint, designed to be a permanent change to colour. It is quite obviously a modification.

Premiums differ on this because, for example, black alloys are considered more boy-racery than standard silver alloys.

The actual reason must rather be that the insurance companies are insane.
Or they are clever. They say you must report so insignificant changes so they earn more money because of things they'd probably never noticed on their own.

They aren't insignificant. Most changes will alter the performance or technical side in the car in some way; those that won't will almost definitely change the value of it - seeing as how part of your premium is based on the value of your car and it's an extra item they're insuring say - premium paintwork (since you wanted to use the example of paintwork) or a custom bumper; if you have an accident these are things that they're going to have to cover the replacement or repairs on. If it really is completely insignicant; then declaring it won't matter - for example i changed my dead pedal from a standard plastic one to an stainless steel ST one (because having stainless steel pedals with a plastic footrest in my eyes looked ridiculous), they didn't care but at least if I have an accident, they won't say "hey you've changed a glorified foot-rest which doesn't really affect your car in any way and costs £10 on ebay for you to get a new one, but you didn't tell us so your insurance is void, good luck"
(edited 6 years ago)
"hey you've changed a glorified foot-rest which doesn't really affect your car in any way and costs £10 on ebay for you to get a new one, but you didn't tell us so your insurance is void, good luck"

So we're talking about a comprehensive cover?
I thought the OP asks if such a tiny modification will be considered as a risk of technical malfunction, or modified cars' drivers average tendency to take more risk which would affect liability insurance.

Original post by IWMTom
Don't be silly; we're talking about paint, designed to be a permanent change to colour. It is quite obviously a modification.

The OP's question is imprecise, I presumed it was about TPO only, especially since he remarked on 'stock wheel'- it sounded like he wanted to say the modification cannot affect vehicle's performance.
Reply 12
So we're talking about a comprehensive cover?
I thought the OP asks if such a tiny modification will be considered as a risk of technical malfunction, or modified cars' drivers average tendency to take more risk which would affect liability insurance.

The OP's question is imprecise, I presumed it was about TPO only, especially since he remarked on 'stock wheel'- it sounded like he wanted to say the modification cannot affect vehicle's performance.

Comprehensive or TP, it doesn't matter - it's still factored in to assess premiums; modifications are usually inherent of a riskier driver, especially certain cosmetic changes that are related to being a boy racer.

Insurance premiums are calculated from big data by computers - every data point possible contributes.
Original post by IWMTom
Comprehensive or TP, it doesn't matter - it's still factored in to assess premiums; modifications are usually inherent of a riskier driver, especially certain cosmetic changes that are related to being a boy racer.

Insurance premiums are calculated from big data by computers - every data point possible contributes.

One important question: do they actually pay the damages they are supposed to?

In my country of origin, you may have TPO only, and if you declare any modification it affects your insurance being more expensive, but it doesn't matter if the company is western or local, and are your damages paid by TPO of another driver or from your premium, whatever the case, they will not pay the actual costs of repair or replacement with another vehicle, unless you sue them and win.
(edited 6 years ago)

Actually they frequently overpay here, that's why premiums are so high. People will get a scrape and start claiming for whiplash and the death of their newborn puppy and for getting wet when they stepped out of their car into the rain clutching the iPhone X they bought with their last insurance profits in order to take 50 pictures of aforementioned scrape.

In my country of origin, you may have TPO only, and if you declare any modification it affects your insurance being more expensive, but it doesn't matter if the company is western or local, and are your damages paid by TPO of another driver or from your premium, whatever the case, they will not pay the actual costs of repair or replacement with another vehicle, unless you sue them and win.

In the U.K., if the person insured with third party cover caused the accident, then their own insurance pays out for the damages to the other vehicle only. The liable driver with third party cover must fund the costs of repair to their own vehicle.

Comprehensive cover means the insurance underwriter of the liable party pays out for the damages to both vehicles.

A loss adjuster may get involved to negotiating the liability and minimise the underwriters losses.

The insurance claim is normally settled relatively quickly. My partner was involved in an accident about 15 months ago. Her word against the other driver (boy racer in a Subaru not paying attention and going too fast). He turned his car over and spun my partners car through 360o. Her car was a year old but was written off by the underwriter. Thankfully neither party was hurt although the police were involved. Everyone knew who was at fault (including the police and ambulance crew), but my partner was still officially blamed as she had marginally crossed the road centre line (30cm) even though she was stationary in commuter traffic waiting to turn right.

Her insurance paid out within 30 days at the full second hand market value for the car. Did her a favour really as she went out and purchased the current model of the same car with the money (6 months old with 5,000 miles on the clock).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
In the U.K., if the person insured with third party cover caused the accident, then their own insurance pays out for the damages to the other vehicle only. The liable driver with third party cover must fund the costs of repair to their own vehicle.

Comprehensive cover means the insurance underwriter of the liable party pays out for the damages to both vehicles.

That's how it works anywhere, in Europe at least. I was asking specifically if they cover real damages or underpay. From your words, I conclude that insurance companies in UK act fairly.
That's how it works anywhere, in Europe at least. I was asking specifically if they cover real damages or underpay. From your words, I conclude that insurance companies in UK act fairly.

Depends on who the broker is and how aggressive they are with the loss adjusting. It's a competitive market with a huge amount of advertising and companies climbing over themselves for business - especially of you have a good record and are not in a high risk category and with a substantial no-claim discount to protect. I have my suspicions that high risk younger drivers are hammered on premiums to allow offering inducements for the middle aged careful drivers who don't try and play the system and never claim.
Original post by uberteknik
Depends on who the broker is and how aggressive they are with the loss adjusting. It's a competitive market with a huge amount of advertising and companies climbing over themselves for business - especially of you have a good record and are not in a high risk category and with a substantial no-claim discount to protect. I have my suspicions that high risk younger drivers are hammered on premiums to allow offering inducements for the middle aged careful drivers who don't try and play the system and never claim.

Nope, us younger drives are hammered on premiums because we're stupid as hell. Middle aged drivers are complacent, but they can get out of their stupidity better than most young drivers can.
Nope, us younger drives are hammered on premiums because we're stupid as hell. Middle aged drivers are complacent, but they can get out of their stupidity better than most young drivers can.

lol. :borat:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending