The Student Room Group

Thinking of getting an Up

So I'm looking at getting my first car soon (at the grand old age of 27) and atm am leaning towards the VW up. I'll be mainly using it around town, so I want something small, and the insurance/running costs are nice and cheap. I do however like hillwalking and climbing, which leads me on to why I'm posting here.

From what I've read in reviews it does surprisingly well on motorways for such a small car, easily equaling the next category up from most manufacturers. For the amount I'll be on a motorway that suits me just fine. The issue I'm wondering about though is when I get to the other end of said motorway, because as well as summer walking I enjoy being out in the winter, and am wondering if a car being so small has an adverse effect in the cold/snow.

Will the light nippy handling designed to be driven around the city become a liability as soon as road conditions are less than perfect, or should it be able to cope as well as any other 2-wheel drive car?

I have considered 4WD, but the only small 4WD car in my budget/suitable insurance wise is the Panda, and they just really don't click with me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dheorl
So I'm looking at getting my first car soon (at the grand old age of 27) and atm am leaning towards the VW up. I'll be mainly using it around town, so I want something small, and the insurance/running costs are nice and cheap. I do however like hillwalking and climbing, which leads me on to why I'm posting here.

From what I've read in reviews it does surprisingly well on motorways for such a small car, easily equaling the next category up from most manufacturers. For the amount I'll be on a motorway that suits me just fine. The issue I'm wondering about though is when I get to the other end of said motorway, because as well as summer walking I enjoy being out in the winter, and am wondering if a car being so small has an adverse effect in the cold/snow.

Will the light nippy handling designed to be driven around the city become a liability as soon as road conditions are less than perfect, or should it be able to cope as well as any other 2-wheel drive car?

I have considered 4WD, but the only small 4WD car in my budget/suitable insurance wise is the Panda, and they just really don't click with me.

I think the Up! Is fine in snow (my boyfriend leases one), however they aren’t too reliable for starting in snow. If you’ve been parked up in the cold, the handbrake often sticks, and it takes a lot of warming up to budge which is concerning! VW just shrugged and said it happens when they reported it.. Sam problem with the polo. Wouldn’t recommend in cold temperatures purely for that reason.
Reply 2
Original post by carrotstar
I think the Up! Is fine in snow (my boyfriend leases one), however they aren’t too reliable for starting in snow. If you’ve been parked up in the cold, the handbrake often sticks, and it takes a lot of warming up to budge which is concerning! VW just shrugged and said it happens when they reported it.. Sam problem with the polo. Wouldn’t recommend in cold temperatures purely for that reason.

Thanks for the info. How long does it normally take to warm up before it's all back to normal? The only time I'm likely to be in the snow much is for leisure, so having to sit for 5min having a snack/planning the day ahead a it warms isn't a problem. Half an hour though and it might wear thin.
Reply 3
What's your budget and other preferences for the car? Age, looks, doors etc
Reply 4
Original post by SB8999
What's your budget and other preferences for the car? Age, looks, doors etc

Budget of about £5k, want something small and cheap to run. Also looking at Skoda Citigo but as it's so similar to the up it didn't seem worth specifying for the purpose of my question.
Can you get a Smart car for that? Citigos and Ups are awful lol.
Original post by Dheorl
Thanks for the info. How long does it normally take to warm up before it's all back to normal? The only time I'm likely to be in the snow much is for leisure, so having to sit for 5min having a snack/planning the day ahead a it warms isn't a problem. Half an hour though and it might wear thin.

Honestly they haven’t been patient enough to wait... even to the point where they’ve ground lines into the driveway trying to get the back wheels moving so I’m afraid I can’t tell you! Then there’s just an alarming “click” as they release.
Reply 7
Original post by nevershear
Can you get a Smart car for that? Citigos and Ups are awful lol.

Odd, I've read pretty much the polar opposite on most review sites. Do you have much experience with both cars?
Original post by Dheorl

I love my Up! It is a new 90HP one though as I wanted more power as I was changing from a 1.4 diesel. It's very similar to the Citigo [which I have driven] but a bit smarter inside.
Never had any issues with the handbrake and have driven it in snow. You could think about winter tyres?
Original post by Dheorl
Odd, I've read pretty much the polar opposite on most review sites. Do you have much experience with both cars?

I probably should have specified - in terms of general driving and running costs they're excellent, the size is a plus for bay parking and width restrictive roads as well.

But cornering in that thing is just a nasty experience (for me anyway) - I like my cars to have a bit of a play when going round a corner, the Up tends to body itself around corners; you'll start turning for a shallow bend and it'll be like "oh you were talking to me" instead of just bloody turning. This isn't a HUGE problem on a normal road in good driving conditions, but the moment it gets a bit wet you'll realise your terrible mistake soon enough. The automatic gearbox is a joke on it too (but I don't drive autos). Also in 2018, it's crazy that a car can honestly sell without adjustable reach. I'm also too big for that car height-wise :P

It's basically a budget Polo filling a gap in the market that previously only Smart Cars had access to.

Skodas on the other hand make for better estate/saloons than hatchbacks (again, my opinion); remove bias from the equation and take practicality over looks; it's a better car to "drive" than a VW Up. Ironically better to drive than its' big brother the Fabia. I've only got to test drive both these cars so take with a pinch of salt. But if I was looking at a car in that segment I'd just take a smart car any day; if you absolutely must choose - get a Citigo. The Up looks better, the Citigo drives better.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
I love my Up! It is a new 90HP one though as I wanted more power as I was changing from a 1.4 diesel. It's very similar to the Citigo [which I have driven] but a bit smarter inside.
Never had any issues with the handbrake and have driven it in snow. You could think about winter tyres?

Good to hear, I wonder if the problems carrotstar has experience are the exception rather than the rule. I have been strongly considering the Citigo, and tbh after viewing them today similar level models are no different quality wise to the Up. In fact I'm pretty sure the one I saw is the same plastics as in my mum's golf.

Hopefully if I do have the problems carrotstar mentioned, the better customer service at Skoda would deal with it.

I have wondered about winter tyres, something I might look into irregardless of what car I buy tbh.
Reply 11
I probably should have specified - in terms of general driving and running costs they're excellent, the size is a plus for bay parking and width restrictive roads as well.

But cornering in that thing is just a nasty experience (for me anyway) - I like my cars to have a bit of a play when going round a corner, the Up tends to body itself around corners; you'll start turning for a shallow bend and it'll be like "oh you were talking to me" instead of just bloody turning. This isn't a HUGE problem on a normal road in good driving conditions, but the moment it gets a bit wet you'll realise your terrible mistake soon enough. The automatic gearbox is a joke on it too (but I don't drive autos). Also in 2018, it's crazy that a car can honestly sell without adjustable reach. I'm also too big for that car height-wise :P

It's basically a budget Polo filling a gap in the market that previously only Smart Cars had access to.

Skodas on the other hand make for better estate/saloons than hatchbacks (again, my opinion); remove bias from the equation and take practicality over looks; it's a better car to "drive" than a VW Up. Ironically better to drive than its' big brother the Fabia. I've only got to test drive both these cars so take with a pinch of salt. But if I was looking at a car in that segment I'd just take a smart car any day; if you absolutely must choose - get a Citigo. The Up looks better, the Citigo drives better.

Thanks for the thoughts, but bar the small car in the snow worry, I'd pretty much decided on one of the 3 Up variants. The vast majority I've read on them say they're the most fun and best handling city car, so I guess maybe it's just down to your driving style. Judging by the videos of it going round the Nurburg ring it's certainly no slouch in the corners. That and the thought of a smart car on the motorway just doesn't sound like fun to me.

Reading on another forum after googling "Up! vs Polo" (yes, it is something I'd already considered) some were even saying they'd chose the Up! over the Polo unless you were able to get one of the top of the line engines.

I'm only 5'11" so still have probably about half a foot over my head.

As I say though, thanks for your thoughts, always good to have another view point, even if it is just to make me go back and clarify what I'd read elsewhere.
Original post by Dheorl
Thanks for the thoughts, but bar the small car in the snow worry, I'd pretty much decided on one of the 3 Up variants. The vast majority I've read on them say they're the most fun and best handling city car, so I guess maybe it's just down to your driving style. Judging by the videos of it going round the Nurburg ring it's certainly no slouch in the corners. That and the thought of a smart car on the motorway just doesn't sound like fun to me.

Reading on another forum after googling "Up! vs Polo" (yes, it is something I'd already considered) some were even saying they'd chose the Up! over the Polo unless you were able to get one of the top of the line engines.

I'm only 5'11" so still have probably about half a foot over my head.

As I say though, thanks for your thoughts, always good to have another view point, even if it is just to make me go back and clarify what I'd read elsewhere.

End of the day - it's your money, and your car, whatever you feel you're going to be happy with is good. That's the important thing.
Original post by Dheorl

UP is a very good car, and perfect for you.

Do not worry about snow, it literally snows twice a year in this country.

If you are worried about snow, just get bigger wheels, snow tyres and you will be fine.
Reply 14
Original post by freedom
UP is a very good car, and perfect for you.

Do not worry about snow, it literally snows twice a year in this country.

If you are worried about snow, just get bigger wheels, snow tyres and you will be fine.

As I say, I like being outdoors in the winter, I pretty much go looking for snow.

How can I get bigger wheels though? I mean snow tyres, sure, I'll look into those on any car, but bigger wheels?
The Up looks better, the Citigo drives better.

Which Up! did you try? I drive both and much prefer the Up! as it's 90HP has more power when you need it. The High up! has great extras too.
Your opinion does not agree with most of the magazines which only say get the Citigo if you can't afford an Up!
Original post by Dheorl
As I say, I like being outdoors in the winter, I pretty much go looking for snow.

How can I get bigger wheels though? I mean snow tyres, sure, I'll look into those on any car, but bigger wheels?

https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/volkswagen/up/2011-present/17-inch

Alternatively, an audi a6 allroad is a beast the snow. Expensive up keep tho
Original post by Dheorl

Just get winter tyres - my friends has them on his Citigo.
Reply 18
Original post by freedom
https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/volkswagen/up/2011-present/17-inch

Alternatively, an audi a6 allroad is a beast the snow. Expensive up keep tho

Surely though that just results in more rotational weight and skinnier profile tyres though, how will that help in the snow?

I have looked at one or two 4WD cars, but most are just out of my reach, especially when it comes to insurance.
I have a seat Mii sport which is the seat version of the up! I got a 14 plate with 30,000 miles for £4500 with 3 year guarantee! Its the most amazing car and copes really well in pretty much all situations, let me know if you have any other questions!

Latest

Trending

Trending