The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry 2023 Electrolysis

Hi all, recently I have just done my 2023 chemistry paper 1 GCSE for the Edexcel exam board. A few questions popped up on electrolysis (particularly on the electrolysis of copper), and I ended up mixing up the electrode where the copper would be deposited (I ended up saying it was the anode). How bad of a mistake would you consider this to be?
Reply 1
Hi! Grade 9 in Edexcel Chem over here- I think it's not the end of the world, and it's unlikely to make too much difference if you didn't make many other mistakes. It depends what the question was out of, and what else it was asking- You could still get partial credit on questions worth more than 2 I think if the question was also asking you to explain why, for example, and you gave a good explanation for why it would have ended up on the cathode, but called it the 'anode', you might still get 2 out of 3 marks, for example.
Congratulations on completing the exam, and best of luck for any remaining tests!
Generally if it's a question like 'what will form at the anode/cathode?' then that's only about one mark. Or if it was the electrolysis equations I think that's like one or two marks. I can't think of anymore questions off the top on my head but from what I know it doesn't sound too bad.
Reply 3
thanks!
Original post by Lil_Student
Hi! Grade 9 in Edexcel Chem over here- I think it's not the end of the world, and it's unlikely to make too much difference if you didn't make many other mistakes. It depends what the question was out of, and what else it was asking- You could still get partial credit on questions worth more than 2 I think if the question was also asking you to explain why, for example, and you gave a good explanation for why it would have ended up on the cathode, but called it the 'anode', you might still get 2 out of 3 marks, for example.
Congratulations on completing the exam, and best of luck for any remaining tests!
Reply 4
Original post by monkeboi
Hi all, recently I have just done my 2023 chemistry paper 1 GCSE for the Edexcel exam board. A few questions popped up on electrolysis (particularly on the electrolysis of copper), and I ended up mixing up the electrode where the copper would be deposited (I ended up saying it was the anode). How bad of a mistake would you consider this to be?

Don't worry about it - it was only a 1 mark question

Quick Reply

Latest