The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 5: Representation and Democracy in Britain, 1830-1931.

There isn't a topic for this unit yet (or at least, I don't see one) so I thought I'd set one up.

Is anyone else doing the unit? What do they think of it?

Also, does anyone have any past questions for the unit? I've only been able to find June 2007:

1. To what extent did developments in political parties reflect the changes made to the size of the electorate in the period 1830-1931?

2. To what extent was the declining political power of the aristocracy the key factor in the development of a representative system of parliamentary government in Britain in the period 1830-1931?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I'm doing it. I find it quite dry, but tolerable.
I haven't started searching madly for past questions yet... the time will come, though!
What other module are you doing?
Reply 2
Urgh, the decline of the liberal party. Which is worse! I really resent the history department for choosing such boring, boring topics...

Where have you got to on unit 5? My somewhat useless teacher seems to have done virtually nothing with us...

What's your unit 6?
NickEM
Urgh, the decline of the liberal party. Which is worse! I really resent the history department for choosing such boring, boring topics...

Where have you got to on unit 5? My somewhat useless teacher seems to have done virtually nothing with us...

What's your unit 6?

We've finished unit 5.
My unit 6 is The Tudor Crisis or something like that. More interesting than R&D anyway!

Out of curiosity, which textbooks are you using for notes on R&D?
Reply 4
Oh, does that mean you've already sat unit 5? Or is it in June?

Our textbook is in the "Heinemann Advanced History" series. ("The Extension of the Franchise, 1832-1931" by Bob Whitfield.)

It's a pretty naff book, which isn't helping me very much. The main thing is that I'm not entirely sure what we are actually meant to know. Unfortunately, my teacher doesn't seem to have a clue either.
Reply 5
get the access to history book.........'the growth of Democracy in Britain'
it was greatly recommended by my history teacher.

and NickEM, have you looked at the resources on the edexcel website for this unit, it tells you extactly what you need to know. if you can't find them i will provide the link =)

sorry to hijack the thread, but i have a question on the essay structure, from last year i know the information and remember most of it, but i messed up my exam because my essay was terrible and illogical! so any advice on this, thank you! (i.e. i did the last year june 2007 exam and i did question 1...so maybe an example of a better way of doing that =) )
Reply 6
Presumably you mean this question?

"To what extent did developments in political parties reflect the changes made to the size of the electorate in Britain in the period 1830-1931?"

Structure:

1. They reflected the changes made to the size of the electorate
2. They did not reflect the changes

In both parts you need to make reference to the entire era (although you probably already know this?) Also, talk about the rate of change throughout the years. I can't actually give you the key content points, because I haven't got all that far, yet!

Edit- I can't find the page you were talking about. Could you possibly send a link? Thank you! :smile:
Reply 7
I'm doing this Unit also. The first history module i have had real problems with. I'm find ing it extremely boring...and have no clue what we are being taught. We also have heinaman book which in my opinon doesn't explain it all in a readable fashion at all!
Any advice/help will be gratefull.
Thanks alot
Reply 8
thank you NickEM and here is the link you requested!
http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/48523/UA017621_History_coursework_teachers_guide_Iss_4.pdf

start from page 39, but what is more important is on page 44. hope this helps.

p.s. if you come across more past question, please do post them up. and i might type my revision notes for this unit (but i am not entirely sure about that)
Reply 9
Hehe - I did this unit years ago when I did A Level History in 2002/2003...

Glad to see they're still doing it. I might see if I can dig out some of my stuff for it...
Reply 10
Has anyone got any advice for effecively revising this topic? I feel very daunted by the way the time period is spread over a 100 years! :frown:
Reply 11
its not about the depth, there no needs for depth in an essay....i quote my teacher here...........'there must be a clear line of argument'.

as for revising for it, i would suggest not only just know the facts, but look at the process of change and how the event came about, the long-term and the short-term factors.......look at the consequence of change...........look at the continuity of political parties/party politics....etc. hope this helpful in some way..
from my experience, i knew all my facts, what i messed up was my essay, i didn’t give both sides of the argument, which i realised after the time was up!
Reply 12
Past questions or the ones your teachers have given you, could you please post them up!
Thank you.
Reply 14
is there any wiki notes to this unit?
Reply 15
Pamiyoo
is there any wiki notes to this unit?

Yes there are some on the wiki.
Reply 16
I didn't realise this topic wasn't dead. I think I've finished this unit now.

Is anyone else slightly worried about the actual exam?

Edit- all information about this unit in the other topic is out of date. It used to be a source paper until 2007. This unit is identical in structure to unit 4.
Reply 17
so in terms of the questions you can get asked will it always be a Turning point or causation/impact one
cos i just read the link posted, and it talks about factors that prevented reform and differences it process which we haven't really covered!
An yes- very worried about the exam!
Reply 18
bored*star
so in terms of the questions you can get asked will it always be a Turning point or causation/impact one
cos i just read the link posted, and it talks about factors that prevented reform and differences it process which we haven't really covered!
An yes- very worried about the exam!

Actually, there will definitely not be a "turning point question"; the style of the exam has changed. All questions require you to cover the whole period 1830-1931.

There's just 2 questions; you have to answer one. Both will be judgement questions. In recent years question 1 has been regarding the development of democracy and question 2 the political parties.

So, basically, these are the 3 structures which seem to be adopted, more or less:

"How far do you agree that **** was the main reason why parliamentary reform was passed in Britain between the years 1830-1931?"

"How far do you agree that **** was the key factor in the development of a system of parliamentary democracy in Britain between the years 1830-1931?"

"How far do you agree that changes in political parties in Britain between the years 1830-1931 were made largely due to ****?"
Reply 19
NickEM
Actually, there will definitely not be a "turning point question"; the style of the exam has changed. All questions require you to cover the whole period 1830-1931.

thanks, that was my understanding regarding whole period. but according to the information given a turning point is still a possibility (though clearly there doesn't have to be as there was none on last summers paper)

NickEM
There's just 2 questions; you have to answer one. Both will be judgement questions. In recent years question 1 has been regarding the development of democracy and question 2 the political parties.

So, basically, these are the 3 structures which seem to be adopted, more or less:

"How far do you agree that **** was the main reason why parliamentary reform was passed in Britain between the years 1830-1931?"

"How far do you agree that **** was the key factor in the development of a system of parliamentary democracy in Britain between the years 1830-1931?"

"How far do you agree that changes in political parties in Britain between the years 1830-1931 were made largely due to ****?"

Thanks that is really helpful! hasn't there only been one paper since the structure changed??
And to my original question, not likely getting why a factor prevented change?
Anyway, thanks for the response- it was really helpful! :smile:

Latest