The Student Room Group

Best Insurance Choice

So, I have a conditional offer from Hallam, which I'll accept as Firm. The conditions are basically passing the health clearance and CRB which should be no problem. The offer on track is still showing I need 200 points which is just the generic offer, I asked for it to be amended but it still hasn't been. The admissions tutor doesn't require any further grades off me though, I spoke to her on the phone :smile:

I'm paranoid and convinced the uni dream will come crashing down around me.

I'm eligible for loan and bursary (though not much), and the fear extends to them saying "oops, sorry nothing for you".

So I loved Hallam, and I liked Portsmouth and St George's. St George's I could live at home for, I could drive to the hospitals, get a bus into uni (I'm on the main bus route) as parking is scarce. Portsmouth I'd still have to move out for (ie. need the financial support!).

So do you think St George's would make a better insurance? Just in case something ridiculous happened, I'd still have that 'at home' option? (I'm sure if for some reason I couldn't afford Hallam they would release me heh) I'd be happy to study there.

I think I'm being quite silly really; there's no way I could not make the Hallam offer and make it somewhere else and I've already passed those little checkpoints at Portsmouth. So it's all based around the finance really.

/rambling over
you will def be able to get a loan. it depends if you want the whole university experience, ie living in halls and meeting new people. If it was me i'd go for portsmouth
Reply 2
But if you knew basically academically there'd be nothing stopping you going to your firm, would you still say the same?

I mean to say.. the only thing that I see that could stop me going to Hallam is money.
well i think im going to put the uni i 2nd most want to go to as my insurance rather than somewhere that i dont actually want to go just because it has lower grades.
why do u think u wont be able to get a student loan?
Reply 4
Best bet too - make your 2nd choice your true 2nd choice!

No real reason I guess... just paranoia! :smile: I had a loan four years ago (fully paid off) and I've been assured that I will be treated as a new student again now. I'm more worried about the bursary and how that'll work out. But basically loan + bursary won't even cover my accommodation costs even anyway, it's ridiculous, but that's another kettle of fish.

If I went to Portsmouth because Hallam fell through somehow, I dunno what sort of accommodation I could end up with...

I think just in case I can't afford it, I'll need that stay at home option.. answered my own question heh ^^
haha ok.
you dont need to worry about portsmouth accommodation as its all either new or refurblished.
at least u no which 1 is gunna be ur firm, im sure u wont need to worry as ull get in!!
i just cant decide between southampton or portsmouth!! ahhh
Reply 6
Well, Portsmouth only guarantees accommodation to people who put it as firm is all I meant :biggrin: There isn't a lot available :smile:

Maybe go visit both again to see which one you really prefer?

Latest

Trending

Trending