The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
A potentially easier question...

Is the conversion to type course for the Apache done at Middle Wallop? I know it is for the Lynx, Islander and Gazelle, just not sure about the Apache.
Reply 41
Spindle
A potentially easier question...

Is the conversion to type course for the Apache done at Middle Wallop? I know it is for the Lynx, Islander and Gazelle, just not sure about the Apache.

Ask me a general knowledge military question/infantry/TA/OTC/engineering question and I might be able to help!
PS. Is it really important where the course is done!? :confused:
Reply 42
It's probably not for some interviews, but I'd like to know where I might end up living. :biggrin:
Reply 43
Spindle
It's probably not for some interviews, but I'd like to know where I might end up living. :biggrin:

Canada
Germany
UK (various dumps!)
Cyprus
Iraq
Afghanistan
Kuwait
NI
FI
Belize
Gibraltar
Kenya

To name but a few!
Reply 44
No army guys in the Falklands?

EDIT: Whops i see FI now....time for bed!
Hey Spindle,
Just thought I would update you on my Army progress!!
I've now moved AFCOs and have spoken to one of the liason Officers - he's going to locate my file from my old AFCO area and hopefully get things moving. I have been reading into regiments and have narrowed it down to:
AAC, Royal Artillery and Household Cavalry.... do you know if girls can join the Blues n Royals? I can't find the answer :frown: How's your pre-AOSB prep coming along?
Reply 46
IAS - I found: "Women are not currently permitted to serve in the infantry, the Household Cavalry or the Royal Armoured Corps."
WHAT how boring! They have a female OC though?!
Reply 48
Maybe marry Wills or Harry as a career move? :biggrin:
Yes please :biggrin:
Reply 50
Except I'd like Wills for myself, heh heh ...
InaSpin
WHAT how boring! They have a female OC though?!

Yeah, I'm slightly interested in this now as well because I thought there were females in the Household Cavalry ... although I suppose they may be the vets though.
PasserBy9
Yeah, I'm slightly interested in this now as well because I thought there were females in the Household Cavalry ... although I suppose they may be the vets though.

Yeh - I mis-quoted the bit about the Cavalry OC being female - it's the Kings Troop of the RA.
For helpin deciding would say do as many fam visits as possible - helps to get an idea. I was interested in Int corps but did a visit and was bored to tears - couldn't bear doing that for my whole life, so definitely decided against that. Only got to decide between AAC, RA or RE now! (oh and first of all RAF or Army.....definitely the biggy)

Recommend the RA fam visit - very good fun.

Oh and definitely no ladies in the Cavalry I'm afraid
Yeh I'm looking at AAC, RA and now erm... third choice - who knows?
Reply 56
redtammy279
For helpin deciding would say do as many fam visits as possible - helps to get an idea. I was interested in Int corps but did a visit and was bored to tears - couldn't bear doing that for my whole life, so definitely decided against that. Only got to decide between AAC, RA or RE now! (oh and first of all RAF or Army.....definitely the biggy)

Recommend the RA fam visit - very good fun.

Oh and definitely no ladies in the Cavalry I'm afraid

I've remember hearing AAC and RE are amongst the hardest to get into as an officer, due to number of applicants per place, don't quote me, I can't even remember where I read/heard it now.

Then again 3 friends of mine got into the RE so maybe the standards have been lowered :biggrin:
There's a v recent thread on ARRSE about which Regiments are over subscribed and which ones aren't and you can read it here
Reply 58
With regards to regimental selection, the air corps is rather unique. The RE are highly sought after but since it isa corps there are a lot of places and hence, arguably, if you are in the top half performance wise and determined enough to join the RE (even better with engineering background) you will probably succeed. The most over subsribed regiments are probably actually the infantry regiments Coldstream, PARA etc and Blues & Royals/ Life Guards within HAC none of which take women. The ONLY frontline roles (officially) within the british army are the select band in the Apache Attack helicopter. To get selected however requires more than just solid performance at RMAS and a good interview. Over and above selection for other regiments/corps you are required to pass aptitude tests and full medical examinationat RAF Cranwell. If successful, you will then go onto do the 3 week flying grading course at Middle Wallop. It is only by doing this that you can then earn yourself a place at the selection interview!!!! Inevitably, whilst the AAC is highly sought after, it isn't particualy competitive at the interview stage since most people have already been weeded out due to medical/aptitude tests or lack of progress during grading. If you are dedicated about flying and want to spend your entire career flying it is important to remember that Front Seat in the AH over Afghan would give some formidale experience but, as an officer, your career is orietated to leadership & managment and you WILL spend desk tours as an adj/ops officer etc. Re ARMY vs RAF, think whether you would be happy in the Army if you didn't get AAC (personally i think there is more variety). If your career ambition is to spend the rest of your days flying perhaps consider the RAF is more appropriate where you effectively sacrifice rank for more flying. Of course, if you want FJ it's a no brainer unless you are the lucky AAC officer with the tour at Empire test pilots school!!!!

Either way, would advocate going along to meet members from each so you can get a 'feel' for the ethos of each arm.
NFI
I've remember hearing AAC and RE are amongst the hardest to get into as an officer, due to number of applicants per place, don't quote me, I can't even remember where I read/heard it now.

Then again 3 friends of mine got into the RE so maybe the standards have been lowered :biggrin:

We'll find out for sure in April how far standards have lowered if they offer me sponsorship.

Latest