The Student Room Group

STEP Maths I, II, III 1989 solutions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Is question 7 step 3 nonsense? The sentences (i) and (iii) hold only if a = 45(seen immediately on a diagram by drawing some right angled triangles). Changing y=xtana to y=xcota gives the given answer.
It should be 4/5 * 5/sqrt(34) in the last line, not 3/5 (since OF is 1/2(a b)). That gives a final answer of 4/sqrt(34), or 2*sqrt(34)/17 if you rationalise the denominator.

(This is for STEP I Q3 by the way - for some reason it doesn't see to have appeared as a reply).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mikelbird
Just for completeness.....

On STEP 3 Q4 Part (iii), isn't this simply the same as part (ii) just with z = x^2? In which case the roots z are the squares of the six roots of part (ii), giving three real roots?

Hi,
Does anyone have a worked solution to 1989-S3-Q3 ?
Thanks!
Original post by alst2821
Hi,
Does anyone have a worked solution to 1989-S3-Q3 ?
Thanks!

What have you done / which part are you unsure about as the 3 parts seem quite unrelated.
(edited 1 week ago)
Hi mqb2766, thanks for the reply.
I only managed the induction to prove a suitable expression of X_(k+1) in terms of X_0
I had a go at the first part and I see that I would have to show that sums of the cosines of the angles of a regular polygon centred at the origin add up to -1.
The proof works okay when m is even, as cosines cancel out in pairs. I can't see a way when m is odd though.
The last part does not seem relevant for 2024 (not in the specification), but it would be interesting to see.
Hi mqb2766, thanks for the reply.
I only managed the induction to prove a suitable expression of X_(k+1) in terms of X_0
I had a go at the first part and I see that I would have to show that sums of the cosines of the angles of a regular polygon centred at the origin add up to -1.
The proof works okay when m is even, as cosines cancel out in pairs. I can't see a way when m is odd though.
The last part does not seem relevant for 2024 (not in the specification), but it would be interesting to see.

Id guess there are a few ways to do the first part, but something like (angle addition formula or the fact its a rotation matrix or ...)
M^m = I
M^m - I = 0
(M-I)(M^(m-1)+...+I)=0
as M-I is invertible.... Its basically the well known root of unity result.

You could go down the way youre suggesting, but its a bit laborious. Youd have an m sided unity polygon and the last flat side would be missing from cos and sin series. The flat bottom would mean the x coordinate (cos) would be -1 and the y coordinate (sin) would be 0. For a proof you could do a variety of things (geometry, complex geometric series, sum to product trig identities, ...) but it would be long winded.
(edited 1 week ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Id guess there are a few ways to do the first part, but something like (angle addition formula or the fact its a rotation matrix or ...)
M^m = I
M^m - I = 0
(M-I)(M^(m-1)+...+I)=0
as M-I is invertible.... Its basically the well known root of unity result.
You could go down the way youre suggesting, but its a bit laborious. Youd have an m sided unity polygon and the last flat side would be missing from cos and sin series. The flat bottom would mean the x coordinate (cos) would be -1 and the y coordinate (sin) would be 0. For a proof you could do a variety of things (geometry, complex geometric series, sum to product trig identities, ...) but it would be long winded.

Your suggestion works very well. Great help. Thanks!

Not really any different from what mqb is saying, but the first part is just a GP; you probably shouldn't just assume "it's a GP so its sum is (M^n-I)/(M-I)" but you can certainly use the same "if I multiply by (M-I) a lot of stuff cancels" argument.

In that vein, it's interesting that the 2nd part (the matrix recurrence relation) is very like the A-level "you pay Q into an account that pays P interest, compounded annually" problem where you end up with a GP.
(edited 1 week ago)

Your way worked, though Id strongly suspect they wanted you to spot the link with the complex mth roots of unity result so
w^(m-1) + w^(m-2) + ... + w + 1 = 0
where w is an e^(ix), so it represents a rotation. Then its just the same thing but for (rotation) matrices. The argument that M-I was invertible would need to be made though and its easy to skip over stuff like that when youre ploughing through the (matrix) algebra.
alst2821
Steps for the last part (assuming I haven't messed up):

Show XiXj=Xi+jX_i * X_j = X_{i+j} (this is purely mechanical manipulation, doesn't rely on P=M).
In the case P = M, show Xi+m=XiX_{i+m} = X_i (uses M^m = I and I+M+...+M^{m-1} = 0).
Deduce the set {X1, ... } under * is isomorphic to the integers mod m.
(edited 1 week ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending