The Student Room Group

Has anyone done evening lessons in the dark?

Are they helpful? Considering you can't really see surroundings etc just wondering about other people's experiences
Most of my lessons leading up to the test were in the dark due to Winter; it's really not a lot different, looking out for cyclists without lights/reflectings/hi-vis wear is the most annoying thing.
Had a debate with a pupil once about driving at night in an urban environment - he claimed his visibility was seriously reduced compared to daylight. Rubbish! Heavy rain, fog or being in rural environment with no street lighting etc. absolutely would limit visibility. But in a reasonably to well light urban environment it shouldn't limit visibility.

Need to be careful about judging speed of other road users as if only you see if a pair of headlights, that can make it difficult to work out what speed they are going at. Also not making assumptions - you see one headlight coming towards you, what does that mean it is? You get advanced warning of some road users with headlights when coming up to junctions, but of course trying to see other road users can be more difficult (pedestrians, kids on bikes with no lights, dogs for example) so it's swings and roundabouts.

What I do find is that if I have pupils that can only do evening lessons and its over winter, the first time they have a daytime lesson they are likely to be less cautious at junctions because they're used to seeing headlights approaching, and if no headlights they assume it's safe to go. Doesn't really work like that in daylight as they soon find out when they're suddenly stopped by me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending