The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes, very good. History may be more useful than english language (eng lang is seen as a bit of a dos - thats not my opinion). It's important to have a humanities subject in there.
Reply 2
English language is seen as a less prestigious course compared to other arts subjects like English literature or History. I would say go for one of those two as your essay subject otherwise those choices are fine :smile:
There's no need to do 5, so I say drop Further maths. And I agree with the above posters that History, or English Lit, would be a much better subject to do than English Lang. and you don't need to do a maths degree for trading =).

Actually, if you're seriously considering a maths degree, you probably should do Further Maths and do 5.
Reply 4
If you go down the Law route, I'd only do the further maths if you feel very confident of getting the A with minimal extra effort (which does happen with the best admittedly, but not everyone). Otherwise just take 4 at AS.

English language is generally not as highly-regarded as other humanities subjects, and since you're planning to do law it might help to have a really solid one (Eng Lit or History spring to mind).
Reply 5
ditch English Language and take up History and you have got yourself 5 very good A levels.
Reply 6
Thanks for the Advice guys; I've decided to drop Eng Lang and do History, so many thanks for the advice.

You say you don't need to do a Maths degree to become a Trader (alternatively a Quant which I know prefers a PHd (Something I'm considering)) what do most traders do? I doubt they'd simply do A-Levels.

I know it's easy, at GCSE Level, to underestimate the work load and difficulty of A-Levels but I definitely want to do 5, even if it means a sacrifice in terms of some Social time.

In regards to Further Maths, I want to do it as I want to go to Oxbridge, therefore doing Further Maths get's my further ahead and conveys ones skills in Maths (Especially if achieving A).
lharvest
Thanks for the Advice guys; I've decided to drop Eng Lang and do History, so many thanks for the advice.

You say you don't need to do a Maths degree to become a Trader (alternatively a Quant which I know prefers a PHd (Something I'm considering)) what do most traders do? I doubt they'd simply do A-Levels.

I know it's easy, at GCSE Level, to underestimate the work load and difficulty of A-Levels but I definitely want to do 5, even if it means a sacrifice in terms of some Social time.

In regards to Further Maths, I want to do it as I want to go to Oxbridge, therefore doing Further Maths get's my further ahead and conveys ones skills in Maths (Especially if achieving A).

You would think those A-levels take up a lot of your time but I'm in my AS year and Further Maths and Economics are easy. If you are someone who is considering doing Maths as a PHD then you will probably find it easier than I do. I don't do Physics but my friends keep telling me about how simple it is and how so much of the AS is GCSE stuff. I don't do history but I hear it takes up a bit of your time. You really lose a lot of social time because you are only taking one proper essay subject which if you organise your time well you will be fine with. Seriously Economics AS is a joke. You can just go to the lessons and then go to the exam and get in the 90s. It is that easy. I have no idea about A2 but my teacher keeps telling Further Maths A-level is easy and my economics teacher says there are a few essays in the second year but it is relatively straight forward. Don't worry too much about losing social time because I don't think you will.
Reply 8
They are ok academically, but for law ideally you would want an essay-based subject, such as english literature or history.
lharvest
I want to either go into Trading or Law, (So either Law or Maths at University), Are these good A-Level choices?

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics
English Language

Many thanks

Trading in terms of trading at an investment bank? Those degrees are perfectly fine. If you are really interested in trading then get into not just a university but the top 5 uni in the country, otherwise you stand little chance. Dunno much about law so no input in that.
Reply 10
BingBangBong
You would think those A-levels take up a lot of your time but I'm in my AS year and Further Maths and Economics are easy. If you are someone who is considering doing Maths as a PHD then you will probably find it easier than I do. I don't do Physics but my friends keep telling me about how simple it is and how so much of the AS is GCSE stuff. I don't do history but I hear it takes up a bit of your time. You really lose a lot of social time because you are only taking one proper essay subject which if you organise your time well you will be fine with. Seriously Economics AS is a joke. You can just go to the lessons and then go to the exam and get in the 90s. It is that easy. I have no idea about A2 but my teacher keeps telling Further Maths A-level is easy and my economics teacher says there are a few essays in the second year but it is relatively straight forward. Don't worry too much about losing social time because I don't think you will.

Thanks for the advice mate; the College I'm attending does Maths/Further Maths in a different manner to yours. We do Maths AS/A2 in one year and in the second year of College just do FM.
Reply 11
Llamaaa
They are ok academically, but for law ideally you would want an essay-based subject, such as english literature or history.

Am doing Late History
Reply 12
if you definately want to do 5 then replace further maths with history and replace english lang for english lit; now you have a perfect set for anything maths related and anything humanities related.
lharvest
Thanks for the advice mate; the College I'm attending does Maths/Further Maths in a different manner to yours. We do Maths AS/A2 in one year and in the second year of College just do FM.

That is exactly what we do. Sorry if I didn't say so. Seriously C3 and C4 are not as hard as they are cracked up to be. Anyway Maths A-level can be made easy by anyone by just practising those exam papers as the same questions come up over and over again. It is simple. Same with Economics really.

Latest