The Student Room Group

How did the alpha scattering experiment prove this?

While revising I realised that the geiger marsden experiment is a little bit more complicated than i oringinally thought. I understand most of it but I'm a little confused about 2 things:

1) How did geiger and marsden observe the behaviour of the alpha particles when they are very tiny(helium nuclei are very small)?
2)How did rutherford conclude from the experiment that electrons orbit the nucleus.? I understand that they have to be far from the nucleus to avoid attraction to the positve charge however how can it be proved that they orbit the nucleus and are not just stationary.

I'm studying GCSE seperate sciences if that helps with the detail of explanation.
1) How did geiger and marsden observe the behaviour of the alpha particles when they are very tiny(helium nuclei are very small)

they fired said particles at gold foil, which when through to a detector behind it.

2)How did rutherford conclude from the experiment that electrons orbit the nucleus.? I understand that they have to be far from the nucleus to avoid attraction to the positve charge however how can it be proved that they orbit the nucleus and are not just stationary

he did say they were stationary iirc.
it was someone else that discovered shells etc.

Quick Reply

Latest