The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

What's KCL like? Cant get any info. in the US.

Howdy All,

I am planning on applying to KCL's War Studies postgraduate program. Unfortunately, no one here in the US has a clue about the program or the school, so no one can really help me out.

From the prospectus it sounds great and perfect for me.

But, I was wondering if anyone here from the UK can help me know more about the school The basic stuff: Is it a party school or a serious school? Liberal or conservative professors/students? What are folks in war studies like? How hard is it to get into? What kind of students do they want? Or even the most basic: is it a cool school to go to?

Thanks for any input!
King's is a very respected university, both in the UK and Internationally. Not least for your preferred programme of study - War Studies is incredibly highly respected. It is not as difficult to get into as perhaps Cambridge or Oxford, but nonetheless most people would have to work their butts off to get the required grades, which i believe is around AAB (A-level) for War Studies, I can't remember off hand.

You'll be situated in the heart of London, one of the best cities in the world for nightlife. Make of that what you will. If you want, you can work all the time and get yourself a degree, or you can doss around getting drunk and going out every night. Or you can work hard, and play hard. :wink:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
KCL for war studies is an excellent choice - I know that MI5 Recruit from the course for instance. KCL itself is great - big mix - lots of international students. Its on the strand (the main campus that is) which is perfect, and London itself is one of the best cities to live in on earth.

Hope this helps a bit - id be happy to answer anything else you want to know as I used to go to KCL.

All the best
Reply 3
Others have written about the atmosphere at kings, so I just thought I'd put it's reputation in context for you ignorant yankees :wink:

To make a comparison with US universities, while it might not be quite at the prestige level of Harvard, Princeton or Yale, it's probably comparable in prestige terms to places like Columbia (which some departments have exchange links with), or Berkeley. The course you've applied to is regarded as the best of its type in the country, and most people at the college would probably feel at home in a peer group that included students from the world's best universities. All your lecturers and many of the graduate students will come from the sorts of places I've mentioned.

In international prestige terms, I think it is easily in the top ten of British Universities, along with Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, London School of Economics, University College London, Edinburgh, etc.

Funny that you say no-one in the US knows anything about it - I thought King's was one of the best known British universities?! (Because of its history, nobel prize record, etc.)
docus
Funny that you say no-one in the US knows anything about it - I thought King's was one of the best known British universities?! (Because of its history, nobel prize record, etc.)

From my experience of american student boards the only british universities known of by all are Oxbridge,LSE,Imperial and UCL along with St.Andrews inevitably though all they usually know of it is the Prince Will connection with maybe 1 in 5 who are aware of our other top institutions like Edinburgh,Kings etc
Reply 5
It very much depends on what your academic background is in the States. For example King's is by far the most respected Psychiatry dept in the UK and is seen as such by the scientific community in the USA.

In terms of prestige, again it depends on where you come from. Many international students at King's are here on a junior year abroad, and the Americans are predominantly from Yale, Penn and other Ivy League schools. So King's, UCL or Oxbridge are often the preferred choice for JYA students coming from the USA.
I say this based on not only who I know at King's but also from an admissions tutor I know at Harvard and other academics from across the pond.

I am very surprised indeed that the first poster in this thread couldn't get much information. Doesn't fit in at all with what I know about Schools and students in the States.
What type of information do you need?
Reply 6
Hi Noddy and everyone else,

Maybe my ignorance is due to the fact that I am not in the science dept., as my only initial exposure to King's is about its science dept. from my biology class. As mentioned, I am interested in KCL's war studies program - at the master's level.

Noddy, the only other question I have is what kind of students they are looking for at their war studies program - but that question is rather specific, and I'll probably have to ask someone in the dept. or the admissions director.

All of you who have replied have been tremondously helpful. Thank You!
Viscount9
Noddy, the only other question I have is what kind of students they are looking for at their war studies program - but that question is rather specific, and I'll probably have to ask someone in the dept. or the admissions director.

I dont think they conduct interviews with applicants so i think it basically comes down to academic qualifications and perhaps relevant experience.

Latest