The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Changing courses at KCL

If I enrol at KCL, how can I change course to a different faculty at the beginning?

Will they ask for my A-Level grades? Do they ask for any evidence, and if so, what evidence do they want?

Would like answers from people who have knowledge about this.

Kind regards

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I am in the same situation as you. I sent a message on KCL Apply requesting a course change. They didn’t ask for grades or any reasoning, and just told me the course is full and that’s it. Hope it works out for you instead.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I am in the same situation as you. I sent a message on KCL Apply requesting a course change. They didn’t ask for grades or any reasoning, and just told me the course is full and that’s it. Hope it works out for you instead.

KCL Apply always do that btw. You have to contact the department you want directly and they can do it for you. What course do you want to do instead?
Oh that’s good to know, I will give it another shot. I wanted to do physiotherapy instead of biomedical science. I already contacted the head of physio, but have yet to receive a response. When you mention department, do you mean the faculty department? In my case, the faculty of life sciences and medicine? Thank you!
I can’t seem to find an email specific to the department though
If you don't mind sharing, what was the course you applied to change to but was full?
I tried changing to the Physiotherapy course, they told me it was full and admissions wouldn’t even consider change of programme for now. I try again once the courses starts.
I tried changing to the Physiotherapy course, they told me it was full and admissions wouldn’t even consider change of programme for now. I try again once the courses starts.

Keep trying and never give up
Same, I tried changing to Politics and they said it's full so I can't, so maybe I'll try again once I start.

hi, 2023 applicant here, did you send this message once you commenced your course in september or before?
Reply 10
hi, 2023 applicant here, did you send this message once you commenced your course in september or before?

Hey I ended up changing my course successfully last year. Contact your department head like well before the course starts, once it does it is pretty much next to impossible. Before you enrol ideally is the best situation, and let them know of your intentions. They will get back to you regarding the capacity of your desired course and further info abt your grades etc. Hope this helps.
Original post by fiastudies
Hey I ended up changing my course successfully last year. Contact your department head like well before the course starts, once it does it is pretty much next to impossible. Before you enrol ideally is the best situation, and let them know of your intentions. They will get back to you regarding the capacity of your desired course and further info abt your grades etc. Hope this helps.

ahh right thanks! just a few q's, was the course you switched to in the same department as your original course? also where did you find the contact info for dept head?
Reply 12
ahh right thanks! just a few q's, was the course you switched to in the same department as your original course? also where did you find the contact info for dept head?

hi @fiastudies same question from me. I have yet to start my course but would like to change it asap to a course in a dif department. could you pks explain how u did it?
Whilst course transfers are sometimes possible, you shouldn’t enrol on a course with the intention of changing. You need to assume you’ll be completing the first course and anything else is a distant plan B.
Reply 14
If I enrol at KCL, how can I change course to a different faculty at the beginning?

Will they ask for my A-Level grades? Do they ask for any evidence, and if so, what evidence do they want?

Would like answers from people who have knowledge about this.

Kind regards

If this helps, I attempted this in my first year at kings within the first two weeks of starting and they refused and I had to study the course for a year before changing, it may be possible to change before you enrol, but definitely don’t leave it too late like I did :/
Original post by Hanlooc
If this helps, I attempted this in my first year at kings within the first two weeks of starting and they refused and I had to study the course for a year before changing, it may be possible to change before you enrol, but definitely don’t leave it too late like I did :/

how did you end up changing your course in second year? were you allowed direct entry into the second year of ur new course, or did you have to start from scratch?
Reply 16
Hi, at the time you requested the course change, was there space on your desired course?
Original post by fiastudies
Yes there was, that was the only reason why they allowed me to change. I'm so sorry to everyone else for how late my response is.
Original post by kmk78666
Hi, at the time you requested the course change, was there space on your desired course?
Apologies for how late my response is, I basically contacted (via email/king's apply) the respective head of departments, usually that information is available on google if you just search up 'head of [the dept you wish to change TO] department kcl' and then ask them if they have space to change to that program. If they approve then contact your dept head (of your current course) and ask them to approve. After this happens your original department should put a request through for a transfer to your desired dept and then it should be completed. I hope that was clear.
Original post by ar1616
hi @fiastudies same question from me. I have yet to start my course but would like to change it asap to a course in a dif department. could you pks explain how u did it?
(edited 7 months ago)

Omg, so sorry for this late response. You still have time to change! I did it this time last year. No my course was in an entirely different department and different faculty for that matter. Although, the subjects and grades I achieved at IB (International Baccalaureate) allowed me to switch to my new course - that is important. As for contact info - it is all available on google - just type 'head of [current dept] kcl' or 'head of [desired dept] kcl' (for the course you wish to switch to. You could even email the admissions department but I was advised to email HoD.

Quick Reply

Latest