The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well, obviously it varies from employer to employer, but my boyfriend and a good friend of mine are both doing a year in industry in engineering. My boyfriend absolutely loves it and gets to do loads of interesting, relevant and fairly important stuff - he doesn't get treated like an admin guy or a temp or whatever, and he gets paid well.

But, yeah, obviously it depends on what job / area you'd be working in!!
xx
I'm doing it, and for the career I'm aiming towards, it's almost essential.
Reply 3
Unfortunately, there are very few Computer Science courses where you can do a year in industry but I think it's a really good idea! What course are you doing it for OP?
Reply 4
yea ive applied to it and i've got a job offer already and i think the placement i got is quite a good one because its a global company and so it should be good.
but like everyone's said it depends on which region you want to work in and who you get a job at really, and from the people ive spoken to, once you DO get the placement its up to you to get the most out of it and convince the company to give you work, that's actualyl helpful for you. if you're going after a yar at uni, you'll probably know a lot to begin with anyway.
Reply 5
to the people who had done an industrial year, what about accomodtion? im onyl in my first year and and ive got my 2nd year accomodation sorted and its not far from the uni, and i doubt that my job would be close to the area. so how is the accomodation sorted, by uni or the company?
Reply 6
I'll be going to an NHS lab for my placement. The tutor who interviewed me assured me that the uni keeps an eye on you throughout to make sure you're not being mistreated.

D.A.N.C.E. - Ask your tutor or student services.

Latest

Trending

Trending