The Student Room Group

Advice on career pathways? Psychology work placement/Law GDL

I'm currently looking to study Psychology BSc in 2024, then doing a PGDL to convert to law or doing MSci in psychology in the future, depending on how much I enjoy the course. I'm wondering whether it's worth doing a year in industry during my psychology degree, even though my main goal is the law conversion. Will it be valuable to law firms, or should I just complete the 3 years and focus on securing a training contract? I'm already on a gap year, so I'm conscious that the more time I spend before applying to law firms will make me a less competitive applicant. But another thing I've considered is that if I don't manage to secure a TC with a firm, I also won't be able to land a graduate job in psychology either as I'll have to complete a Master's too.

I'm going to apply to some solicitor degree apprenticeships as well, but I'm prioritising my university application because I want to experience uni life before committing to full-time work in one industry.
Original post by Void11
I'm currently looking to study Psychology BSc in 2024, then doing a PGDL to convert to law or doing MSci in psychology in the future, depending on how much I enjoy the course. I'm wondering whether it's worth doing a year in industry during my psychology degree, even though my main goal is the law conversion. Will it be valuable to law firms, or should I just complete the 3 years and focus on securing a training contract? I'm already on a gap year, so I'm conscious that the more time I spend before applying to law firms will make me a less competitive applicant. But another thing I've considered is that if I don't manage to secure a TC with a firm, I also won't be able to land a graduate job in psychology either as I'll have to complete a Master's too.

I'm going to apply to some solicitor degree apprenticeships as well, but I'm prioritising my university application because I want to experience uni life before committing to full-time work in one industry.

1) Doing a year in industry will be virtually pointless for the purposes of a TC application.
2) Being late to the party, so to speak, won’t make you a less attractive TC candidate. There’s a decent number of solicitors who are career changers.
3) Doing a masters will also be pointless for the purpose of your TC application.
Original post by Void11

Hi @Void11,

I think it really is a case of whether you want to do the year in industry or not. In terms of applying for TCs, its presence alone probably will not add much to your chances of success. However, if you learn vital skills during this year that can be applied in the working environment and displayed during selection events, then it will definitely be valuable. I really wouldn't worry about lengthening the time before you apply/ would be ready for a TC as this will have practically no impact on your application. Lots of people change careers before coming to the legal field so nobody will mind if you have taken longer than someone else to get yourself to where you need to be :smile:

Good luck!

Sophie
Reply 3
Original post by sublime-baths
1) Doing a year in industry will be virtually pointless for the purposes of a TC application.
2) Being late to the party, so to speak, won’t make you a less attractive TC candidate. There’s a decent number of solicitors who are career changers.
3) Doing a masters will also be pointless for the purpose of your TC application.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @Void11,

I think it really is a case of whether you want to do the year in industry or not. In terms of applying for TCs, its presence alone probably will not add much to your chances of success. However, if you learn vital skills during this year that can be applied in the working environment and displayed during selection events, then it will definitely be valuable. I really wouldn't worry about lengthening the time before you apply/ would be ready for a TC as this will have practically no impact on your application. Lots of people change careers before coming to the legal field so nobody will mind if you have taken longer than someone else to get yourself to where you need to be :smile:

Good luck!

Sophie

Thanks for your advice! I think I'll probably end up doing a placement year then and try to develop some transferable skills.
Reply 5
Original post by Void11

Hey!

If your main goal is to do a law conversion course and then pursue a career in commercial law, I don't think that doing a year in the psychology industry is worth it. I would much rather go to law firm events, open days, and insight days to learn about the different law firms that are out there as well as speak to trainees to learn about their journey and how they secured a TC. I would also try to research what a career in commercial law entails and what are the tasks of trainees. I have recently completed a course from Commercial Law Academy titled "Introduction to Commercial Law", which helped me understand what trainees are doing since the course went into explaining tasks such as due diligence, verifying information and doc review.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending