The Student Room Group

Do I have a shot at Cambridge Engineering

Hi, I am year 12 going into 13. I wanted to see whether there is actually a chance of me getting into Cambridge Engineering. Here are my stats:

6 week internship (not work experience) at major engineering firm
2 week internship at pipeline engineering company
week long work experience with private jet maintenence engineers
A*A*A*A predicted alevels
Weighting 25.5 overall on the ENGAA on average
GCSEs 9988888877
1 XV rugby plus club
Tutoring GCSE maths
Teaching assistant at local primary school
DofE Gold and Silver
Head of Boarding house

I'm applying to Magdelene College Cambridge for Engineering is there a reason for me to get my hopes up or should I just take it as a lottery ticket
Reply 1
Original post by Alimaster2677
Hi, I am year 12 going into 13. I wanted to see whether there is actually a chance of me getting into Cambridge Engineering. Here are my stats:

GCSEs 9988888877
1 XV rugby plus club
Tutoring GCSE maths
DofE Gold and Silver
Head of Boarding house

I'm applying to Magdelene College Cambridge for Engineering is there a reason for me to get my hopes up or should I just take it as a lottery ticket

Why Cambridge? There's no year in industry and the course is very theoretical - my top students are not applying there now.
Reply 2
I want to do purely theoretical work and move onto a PhD afterwards. I have offers for when I get out of uni from both of my internships as long as I am still interested so building corporate realtionships is not an issue for me. I also have the offer of just coming and going as I please with one firm as projects are usually 5 years long so they move very slowly. The short terms at Cambrigde would mean I can work freely.

Original post by Muttley79
Why Cambridge? There's no year in industry and the course is very theoretical - my top students are not applying there now.
Reply 3
(Original post by Muttley79)Why Cambridge? There's no year in industry and the course is very theoretical - my top students are not applying there now.

What courses would you reccomend instead.
Reply 4
(Original post by Muttley79)Why Cambridge? There's no year in industry and the course is very theoretical - my top students are not applying there now.

What courses would you reccomend instead.

Not the 'traditional' RG unis - this is assuming you actually want to work as an Engineer?

Look at degrees with a year in industry - Bath, Loughborough and even Oxford Brookes. If you enjoy the 'hands-on' part then look at Formula Student and the successful unis.

https://www.imeche.org/events/formula-student

https://imeche.org/events/formula-student/previous-events
Reply 5
I am looking at engineering as a career but am veering more towards the way of banking for the money. What about imperial with a year in industry?
I am looking at engineering as a career but am veering more towards the way of banking for the money. What about imperial with a year in industry?

You’ll be fine at Imperial or Oxbridge for a career in engineering & they both keep open the door to high finance (although should you wish to pursue IB or similar you’ll have to jump on the bandwagon the minute you get to uni).

Oxbridge & Imperial engineers often do summer internships after years 2 & 3 then move into a grad role, whereas other large unis do push more for the 12 month placement. I tend to recommend a placement year, although the lack of placement year doesn’t seem to hold Oxbridge students who do well in recruiting regardless, I think this is generally because they are just highly competent people and do well thinking & communicating analytically under pressure (which is what tends to separate the wheat from the chaff at interview).

i will note Oxbridge & Imperial grads disproportionately represented in particular sectors of engineering mainly energy related industries as well as technical/engineering consultancy. These jobs in general pay a fair bit more then your average industry job, but are more competitive to break into.

Note Cambridge requires a minimum of 6 weeks work experience in order to graduate anyway (and most will likely get far more than that). Also the shorter terms and longer breaks between terms may give more opportunities for pursuing internships, placements, shadowing opportunities and work experience otherwise. So Cambridge students do just fine in terms of preparing for industrial positions after graduating. The user advising you otherwise has a long history on TSR of maligning Oxford and Cambridge across the board, so I'd not pay it any mind.
(edited 8 months ago)

GCSEs 9988888877
1 XV rugby plus club
Tutoring GCSE maths
DofE Gold and Silver
Head of Boarding house

Wait are you getting 25.5 marks or with the score conversions

Quick Reply

Latest