The Student Room Group

I really hope someone reads this because my life literally depends on it...

PLEASE READ THIS SOMEONE I KNOW IT'S LENGTHY BUT PLEASE I BEG! 🙏

As a recent college student, I have found that my experience thus far has not met my expectations. While it is a tiny improvement from my high school days, it still feels quite similar and my high school days were the worst days of my entire life.

Although I have a genuine interest in the course I am taking, I only chose it because I felt pressure from those around me to apply for post-16 programs. I figured I might as well apply to this college since 1, I'm already semi-interested in the course/industry, 2, I have no concrete plans for my future and 3, I was not aware of other options available to me.

Unlike others, I don't really want to get a job in the industry I'm studying. In fact, I don't really know what I want to do at all and I don't want to remain in an academic environment. Therefore, I've come up with a plan and I need someone to review it since I don't have any friends or support to consult:

I've made the decision to finish the first year of my course. Despite having only made one friend whom I don't even communicate with outside of class and the workload being overwhelming, I'm finding the course somewhat enjoyable and my mum has already invested £130 or so into it so I don't really want to drop out now. Completing the year will leave me with the equivalence of 1.5 A-levels but it may also worsen my current mental health.

After this, I would take a gap year to reflect on my future career aspirations. During this time, I would also work part-time or pursue an apprenticeship to build my social skills and manage my social anxiety. If I discover that I still have a passion for the industry I am currently studying in college, I will return to college AFTER my gap year and complete my second year. However, if I decide to explore other career paths, I will consider alternative options.

Anyway, that's my plan, I apologize for it being lengthy. Please let me know if you think it's a good idea or if I should consider any other factors before proceeding. Thank you for your time in advance!
Hiya , don't worry about the length. We're all here to support and help one another. Have you by any chance tried contacting your GP? I did that and they provided me with a therapist there
Reply 2
Hey, if it's the environment of school/college which is stressful rather then the content you could look into learning the course at home, you could do it through your college or through a program online, and you just go in to college to sit your exam/s, that may be an option to look into if staying at college will negatively impact your mental health.
Reply 3
Original post by kcyden
PLEASE READ THIS SOMEONE I KNOW IT'S LENGTHY BUT PLEASE I BEG! 🙏

As a recent college student, I have found that my experience thus far has not met my expectations. While it is a tiny improvement from my high school days, it still feels quite similar and my high school days were the worst days of my entire life.

Although I have a genuine interest in the course I am taking, I only chose it because I felt pressure from those around me to apply for post-16 programs. I figured I might as well apply to this college since 1, I'm already semi-interested in the course/industry, 2, I have no concrete plans for my future and 3, I was not aware of other options available to me.

Unlike others, I don't really want to get a job in the industry I'm studying. In fact, I don't really know what I want to do at all and I don't want to remain in an academic environment. Therefore, I've come up with a plan and I need someone to review it since I don't have any friends or support to consult:

I've made the decision to finish the first year of my course. Despite having only made one friend whom I don't even communicate with outside of class and the workload being overwhelming, I'm finding the course somewhat enjoyable and my mum has already invested £130 or so into it so I don't really want to drop out now. Completing the year will leave me with the equivalence of 1.5 A-levels but it may also worsen my current mental health.

After this, I would take a gap year to reflect on my future career aspirations. During this time, I would also work part-time or pursue an apprenticeship to build my social skills and manage my social anxiety. If I discover that I still have a passion for the industry I am currently studying in college, I will return to college AFTER my gap year and complete my second year. However, if I decide to explore other career paths, I will consider alternative options.

Anyway, that's my plan, I apologize for it being lengthy. Please let me know if you think it's a good idea or if I should consider any other factors before proceeding. Thank you for your time in advance!

I don't think you can take a year out like that. Ask ...
Reply 4
Original post by Jannet2ester
Hiya , don't worry about the length. We're all here to support and help one another. Have you by any chance tried contacting your GP? I did that and they provided me with a therapist there

During my GCSEs, I went to a doctor for help with my social anxiety. The doctor only arranged weekly meetings with a support worker or whatever she was until the end of my exams. Although she was helpful, it wasn't enough. That's the only assistance I've ever received in my entire life.

This is extremely off topic but in year 9, I was suicidal and self-harmed (rarely) but I managed to pluck up the courage to speak to a teacher about this. All they did was present me with a sheet of paper containing distractions for when these thoughts occurred. After this, they never spoke to me again. I think some teachers were aware of my anxiety and they were very caring but they did **** all to try and help me.

This only worsened my mental health as it made me feel like no one cared about me. Fortunately, the amount of suicidal thoughts decreased over time. I do still get them but I would never actually act on them so I don't seek for help like I once did. However, my social anxiety had no improvement... Sorry for giving you a tiny preview of my life story that has nothing to do with the original post, but I've only shared this information with like 2 people... had to get it out of my system, even if it's just to a person I've never even met before. 🙃
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
I don't think you can take a year out like that. Ask ...

I had a conversation with a college support worker and I am currently debating whether to complete the 2-year course. She informed me that although it is industry-related and it would be beneficial if you'd want a job in that industry, it's still equivalent to 3 A-levels if I did 2 years instead of 1. This means that even if I don't end up pursuing a career in the industry, I will still have the equivalent of 3 A-levels and thus will have more options available for me. Plus, I'd might have to pay if I want to reenter the college after my gap year. However, I'm scared about how this may affect my mental health which is what's holding me back from doing this. If I'm struggling in my 3rd week of college, how am I going to cope on my 245th week of college?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Vir3
Hey, if it's the environment of school/college which is stressful rather then the content you could look into learning the course at home, you could do it through your college or through a program online, and you just go in to college to sit your exam/s, that may be an option to look into if staying at college will negatively impact your mental health.

Online learning is a big no for me. Back in lockdown, I did none of the work because I would get distracted very easily. The college environment may be annoying at times, but it is very helpful for when you want to actually learn. Thank you for your comment though, as not only are you attempting to help me with my education, but also with my health too! And for that, I'm extremely appreciative of this!!! 😁

I know I'm probably asking for much, but please can you read this and give me your thoughts on it? (I've commented this on another reply too, I just want more than one opinion/perspective on the matter) -

I had a conversation with a college support worker and I am currently debating whether to complete the 2-year course. She informed me that although it is industry-related and it would be beneficial if you'd want a job in that industry, it's still equivalent to 3 A-levels if I did 2 years instead of 1. This means that even if I don't end up pursuing a career in the industry, I will still have the equivalent of 3 A-levels and thus will have more options available for me. Plus, I'd might have to pay if I want to reenter the college after my gap year. However, I'm scared about how this may affect my mental health which is what's holding me back from doing this. If I'm struggling in my 3rd week of college, how am I going to cope on my 245th week of college?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by kcyden
Online learning is a big no for me. Back in lockdown, I did none of the work because I would get distracted very easily. The college environment may be annoying at times, but it is very helpful for when you want to actually learn. Thank you for your comment though, as not only are you attempting to help me with my education, but also with my health too! And for that, I'm extremely appreciative of this!!! 😁

I know I'm probably asking for much, but please can you read this and give me your thoughts on it? (I've commented this on another reply too, I just want more than one opinion/perspective on the matter) -

I think a course would potentially be more beneficial then a levels considering there's less time spent at school and less time having to do academic stuff, if that's what you was getting at?

I think with the struggling with college part, I think it is important to prioritise mental health, and you can always return to college at a later point in your life and you can do perfectly fine at life without college qualifications so if continuing will majorly effect you I would maybe consider doing what's best for your mental health, but also I found I really struggled my first two weeks but it's gotten better for me as time has gone on, and I would say you should try to push yourself to continue college BC you can always drop out later on but it's worth trying now because you may actually start to get along better with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending