The Student Room Group

M1 question pleeeeease help

120.PNG
I am stuck on part ii and part iii
For part ii, ive drawn the triangle of forces but don't know the next step
please help

Scroll to see replies

For ii) try resolving horizontally to the right F=ma but since it's in eqm, it will be F=0 (all forces add up to 0)
Tension goes away from the box
Resolve the forces horizontally and vertically. that might help.
Reply 3
Original post by LunaCat
For ii) try resolving horizontally to the right F=ma but since it's in eqm, it will be F=0 (all forces add up to 0)
Tension goes away from the box

Hi Thanks! So this is what I've done:
121.PNG
But I am still confused -the tensions are different so they don't really cancel out
Reply 4
Original post by BTAnonymous
Resolve the forces horizontally and vertically. that might help.

Hi thanks!! So I resolved the forces -could you please kindly let me know the next step? Many thanks
121.PNG
Original post by h26
Hi thanks!! So I resolved the forces -could you please kindly let me know the next step? Many thanks
121.PNG

well the body is in equilibrium so horizontally BA = BC so you can use simultaneous equations to solve the tensions.

You could also solve vertically, either way should work
(edited 5 years ago)
20180509_110423-compressed.jpg.jpeg

this what I got, not sure if it's right
(excuse the bad handwriting 😩)
Original post by ae86_trueno

The alternative is to use the triangle of forces. It is isosceles, so that givesTBC = 400 straight off. Then use sine or cosine rule to find the other tension.

Please DO NOT post full solutions - it's against forum rules :smile:
Reply 9
well the body is in equilibrium so horizontally BA = BC so you can use simultaneous equations to solve the tensions.

Thanksss!!!
Original post by tiny hobbit
The alternative is to use the triangle of forces. It is isosceles, so that givesTBC = 400 straight off. Then use sine or cosine rule to find the other tension.

I might sound dumb but I don't get how to use triangle of forces with this lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11

Ahh thanks a lot!!!!
I was in radians this whole time ! Thta's where i went wrong:smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Please DO NOT post full solutions - it's against forum rules :smile:

ah I didn't know that, so sorry
where can I read all the rules ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
I might sound dumb but I don't get how to use triangle of forces with this lol

same! Unsure how to go about it this way :frown:
Here is my triangle forces diagram - the one on the left
I t took me some time do this aswl
121.PNG
ah I didn't know that, so sorry
where can I read all the rules ?

They are here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4919248

DO stay around to help but just a hint next time :smile:
Reply 15

Could you please kindly let me know how to do it the triangle of forces way?
I have drawn the triangle which took some time (as in getting the angles in the right places) and then the ms just confused me
Attachment not found

125.PNG
Original post by h26
Could you please kindly let me know how to do it the triangle of forces way?
I have drawn the triangle which took some time (as in getting the angles in the right places) and then the ms just confused me
Attachment not found

125.PNG

I've never actually used a triangle of forces but it looks like you could use the cosine or sine rule to solve each side because you have 3 angles and 1 side so yeah, try the sine rule first.
Reply 17
I've never actually used a triangle of forces but it looks like you could use the cosine or sine rule to solve each side because you have 3 angles and 1 side so yeah, try the sine rule first.

Thanks!
And for part iii) I can't figure what the ms is trying to say (it's a statement question) could you please kindly help with this too thank you so much
127.PNG
Attachment not found
Original post by h26
Thanks!
And for part iii) I can't figure what the ms is trying to say (it's a statement question) could you please kindly help with this too thank you so much
127.PNG
Attachment not found

I think it's saying that the vertical forces are now unbalanced when alpha is 60. so the weight component which acts downwards is greater than the tension component which acts upwards against the weight, hence there is a resultant force downards hence the body is not in equilibrium.

as angle BC to the vertical is constant, it must be the vertical component of AB which is affected by the change in angle so prove that the vertical component of AB is less than the weight
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
I think it's saying that the vertical forces are now unbalanced when alpha is 60. so the weight component which acts downwards is greater than the tension component which acts upwards against the weight, hence there is a resultant force downards hence the body is not in equilibrium.

as angle BC to the vertical is constant, it must be the vertical component of AB which is affected by the change in angle so prove that the vertical component of AB is less than the weight

Thanks but how do we know the weight component is greater than the tension component? Does the tension change when the angle is changed?

Quick Reply

Latest