The Student Room Group

M1 question pleeeeease help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by h26
Thanks but how do we know the weight component is greater than the tension component? Does the tension change when the angle is changed?

the tension doesn't change but the VERTICAL COMPONENT OF THE TENSION must change if the angle changes.

think about it in terms of right angled triangles.

you have your tension being the hypotenuse. the adjacent and opposite sides are the vertical and horizontal components of the hypotenuse (the resultant force). if we change the angle but the tension (hypotenuse) remains constant, then the opposite and adjacent sides must change to give the same hypotenuse.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
They are here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4919248

DO stay around to help but just a hint next time :smile:

Thanks
Reply 22
Original post by BTAnonymous
the tension doesn't change but the VERTICAL COMPONENT OF THE TENSION must change if the angle changes.

you have your tension being the hypotenuse. the adjacent and opposite sides are the vertical and horizontal components of the hypotenuse (the resultant force). if we change the angle but the tension (hypotenuse) remains constant, then the opposite and adjacent sides must change to give the same hypotenuse.

Oh ok thank you very much. so both the vertical and horizontal component of the tension change right?
I worked out the vertical component of the tension to be 347.4 which is less than weight which is 400N :smile:
Was wondering why doesn't the tension itself change here and under which circumstances would the tension change/not change?
(edited 5 years ago)

why does the tension stay constant?
Original post by h26
Oh ok thank you very much. so both the vertical and horizontal component of the tension change right?
I worked out the vertical component of the tension to be 347.4 which is greater than weight which is 400N :smile:
Was wondering why doesn't the tension itself change here and under which circumstances would the tension change/not change?

well think about pulling a block along a horizontal surface at an angle to the horizontal with a string attached. This exerts a force on the string, the tension.

Now if I lower the string (decrease the angle between the horizontal) then the tension in the string is still the same right, as long as I don't pull any harder to make the block accelerate, the tension in the string is still constant. However, the vertical component and horizontal components must of changed.
Reply 25
well think about pulling a block along a horizontal surface at an angle to the horizontal with a string attached. This exerts a force on the string, the tension.

Now if I lower the string (decrease the angle between the horizontal) then the tension in the string is still the same right, as long as I don't pull any harder to make the block accelerate, the tension in the string is still constant. However, the vertical component and horizontal components must of changed.

Ahh thank you very much:smile:
Original post by ae86_trueno
why does the tension stay constant?

read above
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest