The Student Room Group

Maths question

How do you do the last one -thanks
133.PNG
Original post by Kalabamboo
How do you do the last one -thanks
133.PNG

You have y as a function of x.

If the particle is moving at 45 degrees to Ox and Oy, what will the gradient of the function be? Diagram if necessary.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
You have y as a function of x.

If the particle is moving at 45 degrees to Ox and Oy, what will the gradient of the function be? Diagram if necessary.

How can a particle be moving at 45 degrees to the i direction and 45 degrees to the j direction at at the same time?
How can a particle be moving at 45 degrees to the i direction and 45 degrees to the j direction at at the same time?

Why do you think it can't?

If you throw a ball upwards into the air at 45 degrees to the horizontal, then initially it's moving at 45 degrees to the horizontal and at 45 to the vertical at the same time.
Reply 4
Why do you think it can't?

If you throw a ball upwards into the air at 45 degrees to the horizontal, then initially it's moving at 45 degrees to the horizontal and at 45 to the vertical at the same time.

Ohh so is the vertical bit the same as the horizontal bit ?
Ohh so is the vertical bit the same as the horizontal bit ?

What does that mean?
Reply 6
What does that mean?

after differentiating r to get v
vertical component of v=horizontal component of v
after differentiating r to get v
vertical component of v=horizontal component of v

OK, if you're going that route, yes, the two components will have the same scalar multiple.
Reply 8
OK, if you're going that route, yes, the two components will have the same scalar multiple.

But don't really understand what to do next - after differentiating r I got v = 1/2 i +2t j and not sure what's the next step
Reply 9
But don't really understand what to do next - after differentiating r I got v = 1/2 i +2t j and not sure what's the next step

You said it yourself in your previous post. The horizontal component = the vertical, or in this context, the i component = the j component.

1/2 = 2t
You said it yourself in your previous post. The horizontal component = the vertical, or in this context, the i component = the j component.

1/2 = 2t

Thanks a lot and how'd you do it the other way which you implied before?
Thanks a lot and how'd you do it the other way which you implied before?

If it's moving at 45 degrees to both axes, then the gradient will be 1.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest