The Student Room Group

Toddler Beheaded In Saudi Supermarket

Source

Toddler beheaded in supermarket

Tuesday, 04 March 2008

A man reportedly held a knife to the throat of his 15-month-old nephew and decapitated him in front of his mother in a Saudi Arabian supermarket.

The 25-year-old Syrian man beheaded the toddler apparently after having a dispute with the toddler's parents, his sister and brother-in-law, Arab News reported.

Another newspaper, the Saudi Gazette, reported that the toddler was 18 months old.

The killing happened in front of shoppers and staff in the fruit and vegetable section of the Al-Marhaba supermarket yesterday morning.

A police officer told Arab News: "The murderer was in a dispute with the boy's mother and her husband. He chopped off the boy's head in front of the mother to get back at her."

Another witness, Abu Muhammad, who is in his mid-60s, told the paper: "It happened so quickly. Before people could intervene, the man had cut more than half way through the child's neck."

Another local expressed his disbelief that anyone could carry out such an act.

"No one could bear the gruesome sight of the boy's decapitated body lying on the floor," Muneer, a car mechanic, told Arab News.

"How could someone do such a thing?

"I just can't understand it ... I still can't believe it."

One shopper, Ahmed Abdul-Rahman, told the Saudi Gazette: "I was shopping when I heard a scream and saw people running toward the shop's pastry corner.

"When I arrived there, I couldn't believe what I saw.

"A headless body of a child lay on the floor and the head was lying nearby soaked in blood."

The man was arrested at the supermarket, reports AFP. Murder is punishable by death in the Islamic country, and the sentence is usually carried out by beheading.
---------------------------------------
Absolutely shocking and horrifying. I support the DP in this man's case. He shouldn't just beheaded, that would be the easy way out for what he has done.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow, that's horrible.
Errrr...scary.
Reply 3
exactly this is really unacceptable. It is horrible to know that there are still people like this living on this earth. he should have a slow painful death...i mean come on, we hear about murders every day and that can be due to disputes that people have. doing this to a toddler is just so wrong
Reply 4
****ing hell...I don't understand how some people can be so cruel.
Reply 5
Anybody could think of a good punishment? slow painful torture?
Reply 6
That's sick. Ugh.
Reply 7
God, thats so bad. :frown:

I can only pray the baby's family get through this.
i really feel like crying now, how can people be so evil
Reply 9
He deserves to be crushed like that guy in the Salem Witch Trials. Anything less would not be harsh enough.
Reply 10
lol
I feel sick after reading that, I dont understand how anyone could do something like that. In all honesty I wouldnt give him the satisfaction of dying, Id make him suffer for as long as possible
Reply 12
Mishkath

I imagine having to listen to your half-witted ramblings would be a considerably worse 'punishment' for any man.
That's horrible. However, he should not be tortured or executed.

The barbaric elements of most Middle-Eastern societies is precisely why such disgusting incidents occur.
OnlyMe!
****ing hell...I don't understand how some people can be so cruel.

seconded, the sicko
Reply 15
The other Boleyn girl
That's horrible. However, he should not be tortured or executed.

The barbaric elements of most Middle-Eastern societies is precisely why such disgusting incidents occur.

Err right. And those 'barbaric elements' are completely absent in western countries such as the UK, which is why we don't get any brutal killings here.

I really feel it for the parents, especially the mother. Her own baby was beheaded in front of her - she will certainly be mentally scarred for life.
Reply 16
The other Boleyn girl
No: Western societies have murderers as well!
Mishkath

Does a persons pain make you feel better? Torturing someone certainly doesn't make you better.

What happened to that child was sick, and cruel, (to say the least) but it doesn't give anyone else the right to remove this mans life.
Lusus Naturae
No: All societies have murderers.

This isn't a usual murder. Not because of the method of killing, or even the age of the victim. It's shocking because of the minimal provocation that led the man to carry out the murder.

We're talking about a region of the world where people are regularly beheaded for various reasons by the State, e.g. the 'crime' of homosexuality. A part of the world where Westerners who are kidnapped by fringe extremist groups are beheaded, with the recording aired on national television to millions, and etc. A culture where human rights and individualism has about the same respect as prostitutes.
Reply 19
The other Boleyn girl
This isn't a usual murder. Not because of the method of killing, or even the age of the victim. It's shocking because of the minimal provocation that led the man to carry out the murder.

We're talking about a region of the world where people are regularly beheaded for various reasons by the State, e.g. the 'crime' of homosexuality. A part of the world where Westerners who are kidnapped by fringe extremist groups are beheaded, with the recording aired on national television to millions, and etc. A culture where human rights and individualism has about the same respect as prostitutes.
One suspects that you have a hidden agenda. We see you jump at the chance to mention your "barbaric elements of Middle-Eastern societies" when there is no evidence to suggest that the man's action was a direct reflection of supposed barbaric elements. The local members of the community found the act appalling, just like members of TSR.. Furthermore, unless you have more evidence than presented on this thread, you cannot comment on whether there was "minimal provocation" or not, as the dispute between the mother and the man is not treated in any detail. I am sure that you would agree that there is a difference between the incident occurring after a prolonged dispute over many months, compared to a small dispute that occurred that very day. Finally, the man could be mentally ill and he may have been attempting to recreate actions he has seen on television. There have been similar occurrences in Western societies: Stories about disillusioned teenagers going wild with samurai swords, or isolated individuals going on killing sprees in a US school, come to mind. Your statements are premature and your points are too strong to be reasonably drawn from the sources which are currently available; sadly, all your words reveal is a desire to launch an angry attack on Middle-Eastern culture when there is the smallest glimpse of an opening.

Latest

Trending

Trending