The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry Paper 1 2018 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by winner29786547
Can people write the questions as well as the answers pls? I can't remember the questions from the exam.

No, sorry. Unfortunately, we don't want any students who take it to know the questions because schools use these as mocks so we're only supposed to post the answers.
and the mc question about the mass of nitrogen or something using a Avogadro’s constant ?
Original post by rm1029
Na has more shielding as it is a new period, therefore F is smaller

Omg that’s what’s I put but thought it was wrong
Original post by 12tastani
Also did anyone else get -2 Kj mol^-1 for the Change in Enthalpy because that’s what I got and I feel like it’s wrong

wait, what was the question for the enthaly one
Original post by Banshee123
wait, what was the question for the enthaly one

I think it was
2SO3 2SO2 + O2

it gave enthalpy of formation values for SO2 and SO3 and u take O2 to be 0 Kj mol ^-1 and calculate enthalpy change for reaction
(edited 5 years ago)
i got this!
Also did anyone else get -2 Kj mol^-1 for the Change in Enthalpy because that’s what I got and I feel like it’s wrong
Reply 66
Original post by sh_ad_ow
was the mr 72.4, first few answers 1210 ppm and 0.854kg and x = 5.68
and the mass of KI was 19.7g?

Isn’t x 6? Aren’t you meant to round it cus it’s empirical formula?
How were u sopose to find x on the water question ratio :/
Original post by Humzy_1
Isn’t x 6? Aren’t you meant to round it cus it’s empirical formula?

It asked for it to 2dp
Original post by martinii
How were u sopose to find x on the water question ratio :/

Find the mass of water made then use n=m/mr. Also find mass of na2co3 and use n=m/mr to find n. Then find the ratio of the number of moles of na2co3 to h2o
I got that too
[QUOTE="12tastani;77787700"]Also did anyone else get -2 Kj mol^-1 for the Change in Enthalpy because that’s what I got and I feel like it’s wrong[/QUOTE
[QUOTE="Rachita.g;77793866"]I got that too
Also did anyone else get -2 Kj mol^-1 for the Change in Enthalpy because that’s what I got and I feel like it’s wrong[/QUOTE

I got that. I think it's right. Try not to think about it and focus on the next exam.
Original post by psc---maths
Find the mass of water made then use n=m/mr. Also find mass of na2co3 and use n=m/mr to find n. Then find the ratio of the number of moles of na2co3 to h2o

Yeah I think I definitely worked them calculations out but still couldn't find how u do the amount of moles of the water (x) when it was H20 because it's a molecule :frown:(((
Does anyone know what the 60cm and 30 cm gas mulitpile choice question was and the answer. Think I put 40 or 50
Does anyone know what the 60cm and 30 cm gas mulitpile choice question was and the answer. Think I put 40 or 50

I put 50 but ngl I semi guessed.
Original post by psc---maths
I put 50 but ngl I semi guessed.

I don't even know how u calculate it but I think there was one like it on the 2016 paper
Original post by nyxnko_
Disclaimer: These are my own answers and I have no idea whether they are right or not. I also can’t remember the order of the questions very well. Please bear with me.

Thank you to: @Clarareeves2001, @Vanilla Twilight, @SaraFreire14, @mathsguy5503, @MissMilkshake

1))
I said that there is a positive nucleus in the atomic model but the plum pudding model suggests that the entire atom is positive. I also said that electrons surround the nucleus in orbitals/shells in the atomic model whereas the plum pudding model states that the electrons are dotted within the atom.
Can’t remember the next part.
R was nitrogen. I think it was Be3N2 or something like that...?

2))
1210ppm
Something along the lines of 2300ppm
I think 0.831-ish kg?
Were there any more parts?

3))
Can’t remember

4))
6-mark q
I think most people will have missed the fact that they were solid samples. You had to add water to make them aqueous.
Carbonate: Add HCl and observe fizzing
Na2CO3 (aq) + 2HCl (aq) —> CO2 (g) + 2NaCl (aq) + H2O (aq)
Fluoride and Chloride: Add acidified AgNO3. DO NOT ACIDIFY WITH HCl, white ppt formed with chloride, no ppt formed with fluoride
AgNO3 (aq) + NaF (aq) —> AgF (aq) + NaNO3 (aq)
AgNO3 (aq) + NaCl (aq) —> AgCl (s) + NaNO3 (aq)

5)) 6)) 7)) 8)) 9))
Can’t remember the specific order

Equilibria q:
3 minutes. b/c equilibrium is when rate of forward and backward reactions are the same so the concentrations of the reactants and products is CONSTANT.
T2 was higher because eqm shifted right, and because it was an endothermic reaction, it shifted right to lower the temperature, meaning the temperature must have increased from T1

Mass spec q:
time: 6 point something times 10^-4. It was of the same order as the time for the 79Br+ ion.
It’s detected because the ions hit a negative plate that gives the ions electrons. The number of electrons given corresponds to relative abundance of that ion.

The Syringe q:
Mr was like 74/5-ish?
The Mr would be bigger because the volume of gas would have decreased so no. of moles would decrease but the mass would be greater so overall, the Mr would be bigger than actual.

Bonds q:
KrF2 was supposedly linear. Bond angle: 180 Drawn with 2 bond pairs and 3 lone pairs. (I put down trigonal bipyramidal and bond angle: 86, which is wrong but I can hope they'll 'accept' or 'condone' it :tongue:)
Can’t remember exact q but it was something about a V-shaped molecule and you had to say something about the lone pairs and that the angle would be reduced to 104.5

The Hydrated Salt q:
x was 5.68
The next bit asked why the calculated value was less than 10. It was b/c not all of the water would have evaporated from the salt so you had to heat for longer.

A q about Intermolecular forces in SiF4..
Should have been van der Waals b/c although Si-F bond is polar, SiF4 is a symmetrical molecule so polar charges cancel.

A q about Atom Sizes:
Na is smaller than F because it has a larger nuclear charge. They have the same number of electrons so they have the same orbitals but b/c Na has a larger nuclear charge, it pulls the electrons closer to the nucleus so that the atomic radius of Na is smaller.

chlorine q:
Cl2 + H2O —> HCl + HClO
Oxidation half-eq: Cl2 + 2H2O —> 2HClO + 2H+ + 2e-
Reduction half-eq: Cl2 + 2H+ + 2e- —> 2HCl
There was a next part but I can't remember it

MCQs:
Not in any particular order...

1. TiO2/TiCl4 question: Magnesium
2. Group 2 graph question: Melting point
3. Volume question (1/2 Xe + 3/2 F2 ...): 50 cm^3
4. HI + H2SO4 or something?
5. Titration experiment questions (5x)
6. Mg(OH)2 is used to treat indigestion
7. NH4Cl shows ionic, covalent and dative covalent bonds.
8. BaSO4 can be used in medicine or something like that because it doesn't dissolve in bodily fluids.

Yeah, I can’t remember them very well but if anyone does remember anything, please comment below.

You forgot about the enthalpy change question i got 2 but im not too sure
I don't even know how u calculate it but I think there was one like it on the 2016 paper

I think I used the same logic as what was in that question but I think they only gave volumes.
Original post by a_shah
i said F was smaller as its in period 2 whereas Na is in period 3, so F has less shells hence smaller

i thought the same as Na is larger because it has more shells then fluorine, making fluorine smaller the sodium
One of the multi choice was how many protons in some element and you were given avagadros constant
There was the equation for the formation of bleach
The oxidation states of the oxidising and reducing agents in the equation above the half equations question
One of the multi choice was how could the student improve the safety of the experiment choice between use fume cupboard, use gloves with batter acid, carry Burette horizontally or something else

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending