The Student Room Group

Security Studies - KCL vs. LSE vs. SciencesPo vs. Leiden vs. others??

Hi everyone! I'm currently researching programs to apply this coming year for fall of 2019. I'm looking to do a MA or MSc in security studies, maybe with a small development aspect as well. After doing some research my top choices are KCL Conflict, Security, and Development, University of Leiden Crisis and Security Management, SciencesPo International Security, or LSE Conflict Studies (for the reputation). I'm also possibly interested in St Andrews, SOAS, and maybe UCL, though I've seen low student satisfaction ratings.

I know what I like on paper, but I also know that doesn't always reflect the real experience. Is there anyone here with experience in these programs who can give some honest reviews of what they liked and disliked? I'm of course intersted in quality of professors, classes, and job opportunities (not looking to do more academia after this). Also, are there any specific things that make these programs unique, or more interesting/in depth than a bunch of random classes that I could learn online?

Finally, any insights into how competitive these programs are? Or any suggestions for other somewhat decent programs that are less competitive in the UK/Europe? Aka the not-unheard-of-but-not-Ivy-League equivalents.

For context - I have a BA from McGill and some work experience in security/development in Africa. I'm a bit worried as my GPA from undergrad is just below the advertised minimum for most of these programs. I did get good marks in my major, but my overall GPA was dragged down by poor marks in some hard science classes (irrelevant to these masters). Not sure how much admissions offices will care about that...
Reply 1
Hi tara06426:

I am in a similar position to yours right now and would appreciate if you could share where did you end up and whether you like the programme? I'm torn between security studies in Leiden and Glasgow but was also considering KCL and Copenhagen, any insights into how you made up your mind would help, thank you in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending