The Student Room Group

SRA - Suitability

Hey
Can anyone help or advise on a CCJ that is settled and a few defaults!! I am more than happy to disclose this and can provide all the information the SRA require but will it be a straight NO!!! Currently doing the GDL!
This is my dream career and I can’t belive this might hold me back.... Any one else out there with similar experiences? Thanks
Original post by LH858450
Hey
Can anyone help or advise on a CCJ that is settled and a few defaults!! I am more than happy to disclose this and can provide all the information the SRA require but will it be a straight NO!!! Currently doing the GDL!
This is my dream career and I can’t belive this might hold me back.... Any one else out there with similar experiences? Thanks

More context.

When?
Why?
How much?
Has it all been paid off?

As a lawyer to be you need to get used to looking things up and using your judgment to weigh things up. This is a good opportunity.

1. Yes report it.
2. Depending on your answers then almost certainly fine.
3.If you were looking at the rule [I am] you would see it wouldnt be a straight no. Knowledge is power and that is what you are training for.
Reply 2
Thank you much for your reply! So in answer to your question

When - The CCJ was filed against me in Dec 2015
Why - I set up a repayment plan because I was signed off work with PTSD after being caught up in a terrorist attack, also pregnant. Fell behind with the payment plan - My head just wasn’t in the right frame of mind to deal with it all and my sick pay was rubbish...... next minute a CCJ against me! I really should of called the company and explained but at the time it really wasn’t a priority with everything that had happened.
How much - £350 (A very old phone bill)
Has it all been paid off - Yes absolutely and settled on my credit file!

QUOTE=999tigger;78197194]More context.

When?
Why?
How much?
Has it all been paid off?

As a lawyer to be you need to get used to looking things up and using your judgment to weigh things up. This is a good opportunity.

1. Yes report it.
2. Depending on your answers then almost certainly fine.
3.If you were looking at the rule [I am] you would see it wouldnt be a straight no. Knowledge is power and that is what you are training for.
Reply 3
Original post by LH858450
Hey

A good starting point is the SRA's Handbook, which outlines that, unless there are exceptional circumstances, your application will be refused if there is evidence that you cannot manage your finances properly: https://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/handbook/introAuthPrac/suitabilitytest/part2/rule5/content.page

The SRA need to be confident that, should you become a partner, you will be able to manage the firm's finances to ensure you're able to deliver legal services to clients and continue to pay your employees and creditors. Also, as a solicitor you would have access to clients' monies, so the SRA need to be confident that you wouldn't be tempted to use these funds, even if temporarily, as a release mechanism.

The CCJ was issued in 2015 so, if you have implemented sound financial management since then and are able to provide evidence of this (e.g., no defaults, making regular payments to creditors and payment of the CCJ in full) then you will be in a good position to convince the SRA that the CCJ was an aberration. Further, my advice would be to position the background incidents as an explanation for why you weren't able to manage your finances and outline how you manage any conditions that have resulted from them.

Apologies for the lack of structure but I hope this helps.
Have a look at https://www.sra.org.uk/trainees/admission/admission-forms.page, which is the form you will need to fill in to apply for admission.

As mentioned on the form, you will need to declare full details of the CCJ. If you have a CCJ the form requires additional support - such as references from two professionals explaining the circumstances, and a copy of your credit report.

You could apply for pre-admission screening. As I understand it, this allows you to go through the SRA's approval process early so that you know where you stand. See the details https://www.sra.org.uk/trainees/admission/dbs-check.page.

To be honest, if the CCJ has been paid in full and you no longer have any defaults, then I think you should be fine. An old £350 debt incurred while you were not working does not sound too bad to me. If your credit file shows that you are still consistently in default that will be a problem.
Reply 5
Thank you all so much for the help.

I’ve checked my file and the CCJ is defiantly showing as settled. I did notice 2 defaults that occurred at the same time too... but I can also evidence everything.

Does anyone know if you still declare things if they drop off your credit file after 6 years? The reason I ask is because all my study is part time so by the time I actually come round to apply for the SRA it’s highly likely they would’ve no longer on my credit report!

Original post by jacketpotato
Have a look at https://www.sra.org.uk/trainees/admission/admission-forms.page, which is the form you will need to fill in to apply for admission.

As mentioned on the form, you will need to declare full details of the CCJ. If you have a CCJ the form requires additional support - such as references from two professionals explaining the circumstances, and a copy of your credit report.

You could apply for pre-admission screening. As I understand it, this allows you to go through the SRA's approval process early so that you know where you stand. See the details https://www.sra.org.uk/trainees/admission/dbs-check.page.

To be honest, if the CCJ has been paid in full and you no longer have any defaults, then I think you should be fine. An old £350 debt incurred while you were not working does not sound too bad to me. If your credit file shows that you are still consistently in default that will be a problem.
Have a read of the form I linked you to.

It asks whether you have ever had a CCJ. So you will still have to declare it.
Hi can I please ask how did this turn out in the end ? I am in same boat did you disclose ? Does it need to be ? And did you get admitted ?
Reply 8
Hi,
Can I please ask this all turned out?? I also have a CCJ and currently panicking about it. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending